Search the forum,

Discuss Plumber says 2 telescopic extensions on both sides of rad?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Suprasteve

The plumber I'm using has odviously orderd the wrong size radiator.he has used 2 telescopic extensions on both sides of the radiator.is this ok?i have no idea if this is safe or not please help

It depends if your plumber was trying to replace an odd sized radiator - or was using a specific brand of new radiator, which would restrict the plumber to certain sizes.
The one piece extension tails are identical to ordinary tails and are fine, but the telescopic tails have an O ring which obviously might be an extra joint that could give trouble.

image.jpgThis is what he's gonna do either side?is this ok

Cant the pipes be altered , laminate floor / tiled floor no doubt

He is a friend of a friend and has been totally unreliable.paid him up front as had 3 rooms to plaster before rads put on.didnt arnswer my calls or texts.my wife went round his mum n dads who got him to call her n arrange to finish the last 3 rads.but he's left a leak in the a/c for last 3 weeks which he started.off on holiday Tomorrow but not if he doesn't show up n sort leak out.i haven't been able to fire up my central heating n test the new rads etc.as compression caps in last 3 rooms and no inhibitor in the system.hes a absolute nightmare,stressed me out so much I've nearly had a nervous breakdown

Is this to replace an existing radiator?
If so how old is the original?

Or is it all new pipework and new radiators?

He is a friend of a friend and has been totally unreliable.paid him up front as had 3 rooms to plaster before rads put on.didnt arnswer my calls or texts.my wife went round his mum n dads who got him to call her n arrange to finish the last 3 rads.but he's left a leak in the a/c for last 3 weeks which he started.off on holiday Tomorrow but not if he doesn't show up n sort leak out.i haven't been able to fire up my central heating n test the new rads etc.as compression caps in last 3 rooms and no inhibitor in the system.hes a absolute nightmare,stressed me out so much I've nearly had a nervous breakdown

Sack him , useless

25 year old radiator!old pipe work!new radiator going on he's got a 600x1000 p+ should of got a 600x1100 p+.he told me henrad/stelrad don't do a 600x1100

That's 20mm each side, so 40mm in total.
Can you measure the distance between the existing pipes ( centre to centre) we will tell you then if there is a radiator that will fit.

I will do in the morning my sons asleep in there my wife stopped me in my tracks.but is it ok to use 2 either side???

Old rad was imperial. New rad metric. Cheaper for a couple of tails if you cant adapt pipes.

They're fine. You can actually link more than one of the extensions into each other. I've used them a number of times and touch wood, never had a problem. I think they look better on both sides as it keeps things symmetrical. A rad without the need for extensions would be ideal but these things exist because that's not always possible. If they didn't work, they wouldn't be available. It does sound like he needs a kick up the backside though! Good luck, and enjoy your holiday.

25 year old radiator!old pipe work!new radiator going on he's got a 600x1000 p+ should of got a 600x1100 p+.he told me henrad/stelrad don't do a 600x1100

Sometimes there is no alternative but to use adapters and they work fine but all manus make 1100 wide radiators. He's bought (or aquired) the wrong sized radiator and if you are not happy with it don't accept it.

As with most things in life, you learn best from experience.

The pictures I've put up.is that ok the same both sides????

Its not a question of "OK" or "Not OK".

Its a question of how much bodging you are prepared to tolerate.

Its always better to re-do pipe work than to use adaptors, but it isn't always practical, so you end up with extensions. Once you accept the need for an extension, the fixed ones are better to my mind than telescopic, but they don't give you as much flexibility.

So just going from "no extension" to "telescopic extension" is two steps down the bodge route. Doing it twice on each side is simply multiplying the bodge, and increasing the potential points of failure.

Is it acceptable? I wouldn't have it in my house, but others may feel differently. I have certainly done bits of DIY to a low standard that I wouldn't accept from a tradesman! :)

And as for the claim that they don't make 1100mm long radiators, thats complete nonsense as others have said. Not just nonsense, but stupid nonsense since you can check so easily, and it destroys his credibility. What other :nono: may he have been talking?

Last edited by a moderator:
gotta agree with the sentiment here.
I changed 10 rads on a 40 year old system last week, none of which fitted the original sizes so I had to make offsets or redo pipe work on all..
done and out in 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumber says 2 telescopic extensions on both sides of rad?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock