Search the forum,

Discuss plate to plate descale in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

hi as anyone got any ideas whats best to descale a removed plate to plate . i cant seem to get acid based descalers now from merchants .whats the best product.ben told brick acid does same job

flush through with mains water first

Then I use 'spirit of salts',but do outside or well ventilated area and be very carful with it,cleans like new

Last edited by a moderator:
it's hydrochloric acid, get it from home and garden type stores...don't forget your chemical gloves though

muriatic acid,sulfuric acid and salt =Hydrochloric acid

I order a box when needed from my parts supplier however a lot of plumbers merchants ect will not stock due to dangers of stocking and handling incorrectly,not worth the risk,however a lot of small hardware stores still stock it but you will have to ask as not kept on display

As shorticus says ,you can get you chemical gloves there too !! :eek::)

Hydrochloric acid is a great cleaner, downside is that you need to neutralise it before even considering flushing it down the drain or more importantly rinsing the heat exchanger through.

Best chemical by far is DS40, it comes in a box with its own neutraliser powder and has a colour change to let you know when its done. I take our the DHW, boil a kettle and fill a bucket, pour in the powdered DS40, give it a stir and drop the HX in for 20 mins or until the liquid turns from red to green.

You then pour a small amount of neutraliser powder into the bucket and stir, then rinse the DHW and its good to go.

Vokera service manager, Steve Rogers showed me it and all of their service team use it as well as British Gas, except they got DS40 rebranded as an in house product.

Best regards

i usually use Kamco FX2 powerflushing chemical pour it in let it sit and bubble. copious amounts of water to dilute after it stops, repeat as necessary

Hydrochloric acid is a great cleaner, downside is that you need to neutralise it before even considering flushing it down the drain or more importantly rinsing the heat exchanger through.

Best chemical by far is DS40, it comes in a box with its own neutraliser powder and has a colour change to let you know when its done. I take our the DHW, boil a kettle and fill a bucket, pour in the powdered DS40, give it a stir and drop the HX in for 20 mins or until the liquid turns from red to green.

You then pour a small amount of neutraliser powder into the bucket and stir, then rinse the DHW and its good to go.

Vokera service manager, Steve Rogers showed me it and all of their service team use it as well as British Gas, except they got DS40 rebranded as an in house product.

Best regards

Sounds great, where do you get it from?

i have used vinegar and even cheap coke to do this before the coke is quite successful but has to soak over night so not practical this sounds good stuff

I was diving out in the red sea a couple of years ago and by the end of the week my not too cheap knife went quite rusty, one of the deckhands chopped the top off a bottle of coke and dropped it in, 20 minutes later it came out looking like new, I drink my Jack straight now lol

I used to use ds40,sure originally it was in a liquid form years ago,then started selling in powder form ,with pack of neutraliser

It cleans out mildly scaled blocked main heat exchangers ok,you have to warm up but found if fully or badly blocked,not very successful and would take a long time,if it did work
On plate heat exchangers that is badly blocked I find ds40 not very good and there i also the point of cost,can use quite a lot to clean a exchanger up correctly
It will sort out lime scale build up,very well and system slugde however anything else,it finds hard work

imho

but worth a shot though puddle,ok on a performa you would just bung a new one as they are not to dear,but on a tat heat line it costs ÂŁ100 so well worth trying ds 40 first

Had a call today from an elderly couple with a Boulter combi oil boiler circa about 1995 . having serviced it recently I new the heat exchanger was getting blocked . Now they say their hot tap produces about 2 pints then gets cooler and they want me to fix it . Rang local spares place , they rang worcester who said heat exchanger is obsolete . I am wondering wether to try another supplier or descale with acid . Trouble is if I descale the HE the boiler will obviously have to be off for a long time while i am doing it and in this weather it is not good . Any ideas please .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to plate to plate descale in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock