Discuss Pipework from Oil tank to Boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

palacefatboy

Hello all,
I've joined to ask some advice on problem with line from oil tank to boiler.
Got air getting into line to boiler. Getting pressure test to see if problem is in this pipe.
Question is if it does have problem ( its buried under garden ) will it have to be
dug up or can it be capped and a new pipe be run overground.
Whatever the outcome what sort of costs am i looking at.

Thanks in advance

Fatboy
:clap:

Bet your filter's blocked. I would also check the tank valve is fully open.

Bet your filter's blocked. I would also check the tank valve is fully open.

Thanks
Not filter as that was second thing checked after connections at boiler end.
Hope it is something easy to get at though

Thanks

Fatboy

sounds like you are drawing in air at a fitting.... possibly at the tank near the filter etc..... check all fittings!!

sounds like you are drawing in air at a fitting.... possibly at the tank near the filter etc..... check all fittings!!

Thanks .
It will be tested early next week then hopefully if ok i suppose will look at fittings around tank.
Its a HRM wallstar system and believe pump has already been replaced once. Possibly because of air???

Thanks again

Fatboy

Is there an old fashioned wheel head fire valve in the system? These are notorious for letting air in.

You say you have air getting into oil line to boiler, is that because you can see an air bubble in the clear flexible oil line from the fire valve to the oil pump. If this is the case dont worry it is usual for this to happen and you wont get rid of it. it wont cause a problem. It pays to know your boilers, if you read the literature that came with the boiler it does mention this.

Extract from manual.
20. Test The Fuel Supply

With the burner running, check the fuel supply for
air leaks. It is
normal for a static air bubble to remain at the hig
hest point of the oil
line, but a continuous stream of bubbles through th
e oil line
indicates that air is being drawn in. This must be
cured

Last edited by a moderator:
those wheelhead valves on the hrm's have integral check valves which have been troublesome in the past for me at least.

Get an OFTEC engineer in.

Got engineer in - he'll be doing pressure test - and yes it's a stream of bubbles getting to pump.
It had fire valve removed when we moved in so had one fitted after last service in october.
Just wanted to know where we stand if problem is in pipe from tank to boiler.

Thanks

Fatboy

It'll be a joint somewhere. If it needs a new oil line it depends on the route. Underground then the oil line should be run in some alkathene so that it can be changed in the future without having to redig a trench.

It'll be a joint somewhere. If it needs a new oil line it depends on the route. Underground then the oil line should be run in some alkathene so that it can be changed in the future without having to redig a trench.

dont see that very often, however if the pipe is run in a continuous length it shouldnt be an issue I find its normally the joints either end that cause the problems or the new fire valve in this case:)

I always fit 25mm alkathene. Makes life easier for the future.

ducting rules, and gives protection, but unless your farmer has some floating around they always argue the cost :)

If its a leak underground, Im not sure Id be seeing air getting in. Generally speaking you can lose oil underground but there aint much air there...unless it is as mentioned above, installed properly (rarely) in sleeving.
As above, Id be staggered if its not a fitting letting by. Those clear hoses are an excellent idea but they do get stiff after a few years so the unions at each end can be compromised.

Use flared fittings on the pipe and not compressions.

Well , Well.
Had pressure test - no problems - on connecting all back up and returning oil back into tank bubbles disappeared. Turns out Vent at far end of tank blocked - lots of rubbish in it - when cleaned out it runs as smooth as anything.
One to remember.

Fatboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipework from Oil tank to Boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock