Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe Knocking During Dishwasher Cycle - Water Hammer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jamieellis888

Hello,

I have spent ages looking on the internet to try and find a solution to this issue, and I apologise in advance as I know similar questions have been asked about this topic on here several times, but I would like to explain my specific issue with the hope someone might be able to come up with a solution.

About 18 months ago, I bought a house and had a complete new heating system (combi boiler), and re-pipe done, I also had a dishwasher installed in the kitchen. However, an issue has developed in the last 6 months where during certain parts of the dishwasher cycle, a knocking noise can be heard somewhere in the house, usually one after the other for 10-12 seconds, but usually at least a couple of times during a cycle. Now despite running around the house like a tit trying to pinpoint the noise, as it only does it for a short period, I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.

After putting up with it for a couple of months, I started looking for answers on the internet and came across "water hammer" which seemed to fit what was happening. I subsequently bought a water hammer arrestor and fitted it in between where the dishwasher water feed connects to the copper pipe under the sink, but it has made no difference.

I have looked for hours to try and find an answer, but depending where you look, the answers just seem to contradict themselves - some say air in the system, some say not etc..... My issue is pulling the floor up (and in some cases the pipes are channelled into the wall), isn't really an option, but I am concerned that if this is ignored it could become a bigger issue - not to mention that it is a pain in the backside!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

Sounds to me that there are inadequate pipe brackets on the pipework causing it to shake around.

A quick solution may be a Sioux water hammer arrestor

Thanks for the couple of replies.

"Expansion noise from the waste being dumped" - Presumably this would mean the noise would be heard right by the dishwasher? If so, this is not the case as it's somewhere else in the house.

I am thinking you may be right about the inadequate pipe brackets, but given that the whole house was re-plastered and decorated and a complete new floor installed upstairs only 18 months ago, I don't really fancy making holes in my walls and/or ripping the floor up - not to mention the fact that I still haven't been able to pinpoint the noise 100% as it's difficult to replicate.

As I mentioned in my original post, I have tried a Sioux water hammer arrestor, but htis has made no difference whatsoever......

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jamie.

Mmmmm, "loose jumper in the incoming stopcock" is interesting and not something I've read about before, sorry to ask a stupid question but is there anyway I could confirm that with replacing the main stopcock?

Mmmmm, "loose jumper in the incoming stopcock" is interesting and not something I've read about before, sorry to ask a stupid question but is there anyway I could confirm that with replacing the main stopcock?

When the solenoid in the dishwasher shuts down after the required amount of water is let in ,this can send a shockwave through the system that will cause the jumper to hammer .

If the hammer occurs at the same point in the dishwashers cycle, listen the stopcock.

Or or just replace it ,

Agree with the loose jumper theory how high is your mains pressure at the kitchen sink ..may need a pressure reducing valve regards Turnpin:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe Knocking During Dishwasher Cycle - Water Hammer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock