Discuss Permanent Pilot Light - Safety Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are real concern over shale gas , and there are inquiries under way . It is obtained by hydraulically fracturing (at about 145000psi ) the rock . The problem is the fluid used to fracture the rock contains hydrochloric acid, biocide and polycrylamide which is then in the water supply
There are test holes for this in the UK , Bowland and Preston

Last edited:
most gas fitters under the age of forty havent seen many appliances with pilots so it an understandable mistake which they should put right as to pilots being dangerous we used to have several standing pilots in our old kitchen the one on the grill saved us having to put the light on at night
oh what fun we would have when the shilling run out especialy getting the fridge one to light had to put a plate with hole in over the flue and wait till gas filled the flue tube then put a match to it

most gas fitters under the age of forty havent seen many appliances with pilots so it an understandable mistake which they should put right as to pilots being dangerous we used to have several standing pilots in our old kitchen the one on the grill saved us having to put the light on at night
oh what fun we would have when the shilling run out especialy getting the fridge one to light had to put a plate with hole in over the flue and wait till gas filled the flue tube then put a match to it

LOL showing some age there mate. Never seen a gas fridge...

Would scrap the fire and buy a new one. Of if you cant afford it right now i would remove/cap off and wait. I know it was ok when installed but too easy for somthing to happen if ask me.

pilots should not blow out in the wind, get your boiler looked at

LOL showing some age there mate. Never seen a gas fridge...

Would scrap the fire and buy a new one. Of if you cant afford it right now i would remove/cap off and wait. I know it was ok when installed but too easy for somthing to happen if ask me.
its only ncs, ar or id is a different matter

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
The firm is still flatly refusing to re-attend and reconnect the fire so I've had to register a complaint with Gas Safe.
Does anyone know what powers Gas Safe has or could I end up having to go to court ?

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
The firm is still flatly refusing to re-attend and reconnect the fire so I've had to register a complaint with Gas Safe.
Does anyone know what powers Gas Safe has or could I end up having to go to court ?

Im not sure how Gas Safe will deal with your complaint, it sounds to me like the engineers that attended your property do not fully understand how to deal with the situation and hopefully all gas safe needs to do is explain there mistake and it will get sorted.

I agree with both parties. If a customer mentions that they smell gas, then this is always cause for concern and investigation. If they have detected a major leak from the fire which has no thermocouple, then surely they would have isolated the fire at the pilot and checked again ( im sumizing they did this) , did they recheck for leaks after the fire was disconnected? especially that you could smell gas near the hob to begin with. I hate turning appliances off, I never go away and leave anyone with no contact or no solutions, and 9 times out of ten Id go back to make sure, specially when a customer is distraught. Darryl is right, NCS on fire, I think they should return to double check. Traci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Permanent Pilot Light - Safety Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a portable gas fire which keeps switching off. The pilot light lifts for 10 seconds, critically above the thermocouple and then the gas...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, My customer has a gas fire (Gazco Logic HE fire, about 10 years old). It's a slide control fire. The fire has become difficult to...
Replies
Views
I have an old Modena 80 E combi boiler that is randomly short cycling on windy days. The burner goes out and re-ignites within a few seconds and...
Replies
Views
D
Recently noticed a gas smell coming from my ideal classic RS50 boiler. Cadent have been out and confirmed a small leak and capped off the gas. The...
Replies
Views
F
Hi, My 2014 Crown Boiler has a spark ignition system that is malfunctioning. When I turn the boiler power switch off and back on, the pilot light...
Replies
Views
Back