Discuss Outside stopcock help!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tommc

Evening everyone, im about to install a new stopcock inside the house and fit some new pipe work for a water softner, the old stopcock is totaly gone, is this the access to the stopcock outside my house, its at the end of the drive way and there seems to be one every 4 houses along, its a nightmare to try lift out, get about 6" up and then seems stuck, there is loads of muck around it and inside it but just wanted to make sure it just lifts and that its the right valve im trying to get at, any help will be appreciated, thanks

photo (3).jpg

Yes that looks like the right one. You will probably find that the hinge is full of muck which is preventing it from opening fully. Give it a good clean around the hinge with a stiff brush.

Be aware that you may be turning some of the neighbours water off if there is only one per 4 houses.

Yes that looks like the right one. You will probably find that the hinge is full of muck which is preventing it from opening fully. Give it a good clean around the hinge with a stiff brush.

Be aware that you may be turning some of the neighbours water off if there is only one per 4 houses.

there is no hinge on it ?, its basically the whole unit thats coming out of the ground, should it just be a lid that lifts off ?

this is basically as far as i can get it out the ground, and it is one complete unit going into the ground, no hinge or anything, i cant get anything done until i get the water off, if i manage to get this off will it be a special key required or just a tap if anyone knows ?

photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg

I haven't come across that pear shaped one before but I suspect that the pear shaped bit is a hinged lid. Now I've seen the latest photos I'm certain that's a hinged lid.

Last edited:
I haven't come across that pear shaped one before but I suspect that the pear shaped bit is a hinged lid.

i will have a run out and try cleaning around the pear shape but im pretty sure that was a solid unit, sort of like a stamp on it

Looks like you're trying to lift the whole assembly out.
The lid is on the top the round / pearshaped part.

No way is it the whole lump to gain access.

Last edited:
Give it a good clean, you're taking the whole unit out of the ground. There will definitely be an opening lid on it.

i did think it seemed a bit bizzare that it was whole unit, heading out now to try get at it, cheers gents will keep you updated thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outside stopcock help!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock