Discuss Open safety vent from hot cylinder going outside instead back into the cold cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Needing a photography of a old cold water system with the open safety vent going from the cylinder to outside? Also could you explain the reason why they changed this regulation why the open vent pipe goes from the cylinder to the cold water cistern.

Re: Open safety vent from hot cylinder going outside instead back into the cold ciste

I "think" it was changed to terminating inside was down to cost and H&S ( in that order)
It takes less time and uses less material, there isn't any other reason to do it I don't think as I still believe it is safer taking it outside, and there wouldn't have been the injuries from split tanks caused by faulty immersors
I don't have any pictures of any, is it just the external swan neck you need a pic of, or the full thing?
I don't have time to plough through the regs to check whether in right, but there will be someone who knows the correct answer and will let us both knowv

Re: Open safety vent from hot cylinder going outside instead back into the cold ciste

Haha on second thoughts its probably linked to the water regs and waste of water, as the recirculating water stays in the system

It's because of frost. The old pipes would freeze up and cause issues

i was told by my lecture due to the 1970s if they main water was to be turned off and the thermostat failed. the cylinder would then drain the cold cistern and would start heating up then would put the cylinder at risk of being renewed??
can some one show me photo of this as i cant find any on the internet.

It's because of frost. The old pipes would freeze up and cause issues

Not sure how an open vent going through a roof to outside is any more at risk of freezing than one terminating over the loft tank, the water level in both pipes is exactly the same under normal conditions, (ie level with the water line in the tank) under fault conditions the near boiling water rises, but as its near boiling and moving to outside it won't freeze

There was a Photo of one in the good the bad and the ugly in Gas Engineer mag a few months ago, cant see frost being an issue if there is 90+ degrees water finding its way up there, suppose it takes more time and copper, and it more likely to be over looked during an inspection?

Still got them over here on the older builds, especially in Belfast.

Never seen one down this way.

Most of the time the old way of doing things is the best:smug:

Mind you only in the uk would you put 50gallons of water at the top of a house in a tank ,just waiting to leak :toilet:

I suppose that this would only be known by older plumbers in N. Ireland !
Shall I order your namesake beer for delivery to the Plumbers Arms for after
you off on call - in fact I will order a sample pack and taste and let you know how it tastes !

Rob

Still got them over here on the older builds, especially in Belfast.

Hundreds in the post war council estates in Scotland. I don't think any reg changed either or was always OK. The problem only arokse with the advent of the plastic tank. Then the expansion pipoe was an oversight. Rather than rule it goes outside with the modern H&S costs they changed the immersion standard.

There are a considerable number of buildings in the UK that store 100's of metric tons of water above and also under the roof - without major problems. Combis are finished the past is now probably going to be the future centralheatking
Mind you only in the uk would you put 50gallons of water at the top of a house in a tank ,just waiting to leak :toilet:

They are all over Scotland and Croppie land and are dead easy to spot - green bent round 180 deg
large dia copper pipes poking out of roof CHK
Never seen one down this way.

also your vent pipe wont get stolen by a local hoodie now it gets put inside.

:santa_smiley:Any chance you could takea photo and sent it.cheers

Is it for your portfolio? If not why do you want it, are you training in a college? If so they should have them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Open safety vent from hot cylinder going outside instead back into the cold cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock