Search the forum,

Discuss Olive removal! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I'm just doing some work on my central heating and wanted to replace some of tye radiator valves that are old and seem to be in poor condition.
However the new valves that I've bought have different sized nuts on the 15mm pipe to the old ones. I need to remove the old olive to get the nut off. Is it best to do careful use of a junior hacksaw, or an olive puller, similar to this

Toolstation > Hand Tools > Plumbers Tools > Olive Puller

I see on fle bay they goy for about £13.

Even if I get them off am I likeley to get a good seal with new nuts and olives on the old pipe.

Cheersw Sticky

You can use a hacksaw and a flat screwdriver.
If the olives aren't too crushed you can give them a little squeeze with pump pliers and turn it back and forth, it'll loosen and you can pull it off.

cut part of the way through with junior hacksaw, then use a flat head in the cut, twist to snap olive.
put new nut and olive on, pinch up, back the nut off, apply some jet blue around the olive tighten up

Olive removers can damage the pipe. Its best to do as previous posts have said and use a junior hacksaw and screwdriver.

I use jet blue too :)

I've got that olive puller as well as the Monument 15 & 22 olive cutters.
I've had them for a couple of years now. They're all still in the original packaging unopened.
I've managed up to now using the methods above or just knocking the nut towards the olive with a spanner & hammer.

These are great, i have them in 22mm and 15mm

MON2033.jpg

but you can take them off with a hacksaw if it's not something you do often, or as already mentioned pull them off by grabbing the nut with a pair of grips

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies thats really good info. I'll try some of the 'Jet Blue' it seems to come the 'seal of approval'

Thank You

Cut the olive with a junior hacksaw on an angle to the pipe, not in line with the pipe. Much easier this way & you won't hit the pipe with hacksaw blade. Just cut through 3/4 depth of olive & use a sharp flat blade to split olive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Olive removal! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock