Discuss Not allowed in property in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi All

hope I've taken the right approach here.

LL that I do a lot of stuff for asked me to do GSC at one of his properties.

Called tenant (very broad Indian chap) and eventually managed to book a time with a lot of broken English.

Rocked up today to be greeted through a crack in the door and told categorically that I'm not coming in.

Say ok and call LL who says he's had reports from neighbours that he has about a dozen of his family living in what is a one bed flat. Trouble is LL lives in Newcastle and I'm in Bournemouth and the GSC has now expired. I have left it in the lap of the LL for now but am wondering if from a safety perspective should I be telling anyone else.

I think not at the mo but GSC has expired.

Cheers all

Matt

Landlord sends recorded delivery letter saying when your coming accompanied with a locksmith a copper and transco see what effect that as

or go round tonight cap meter off see how long it is before he rings you to go fix then say your booked all week

Sadly very common on ha contracts, zero interest in being available for maintenance but moment the room stat needs turning up or boiler goes out on low pressure they need you out immediately regardless of it being 3am

Maybe recommend a Service reminder programmer, restricts heating after 12 months until you service boiler and reset timer.

It is a legal requirement and faliure to allow you access is a breech of the tenancy agreement and should be issued with a note of access letter failing that it's eviction notice. But with regards to the property even though the tenant has denied access it still falls back on the landlord should something go wrong. In the interest of safety I would advise isolating the gas meter if it is located externally. But in a manor where they wouldn't be able to re connect it should they try.

i would be reluctant to use the grid as that could end up costing the landlord money if they completely disconnect the supply.

i had this a week ago and was given the key following an access letter found a flue in void with no inspection isolated the boiler and now they can't get me in there quick enough

response to tenant in broken English that worked for me in the past is " No letteee mee in, no gasey for heating, I calllee the gas boardy nowee", door opens fairly quickly then. :)

You have fulfilled your part of the contract so long as you can prove that you have attended and can't get access. It's the landlords responsibility not yours to make sure he/she's fulfilling theirs. I certainly would never isolate somebody else's gas meter if a gsc has expired, on what grounds? Of course if there is a threat to safety, you take the appropriate action. But how do you know this if you can't get access. Prove (ie write/email) to landlord that you were unable to gain access so your covered and then it's up to them. Imagine you capped the meter and a person got ill due to no heating, you took it upon yourself to cap meter, you will be responsible. Imagine the house blew up the next day, you wrote to landlord proving you couldn't get access so couldn't do gas cert and it was up to him to sort out not you mate

I have left it in the lap of the LL for now but am wondering if from a safety perspective should I be telling anyone else.
Not your problem so why worry. Just stick your bill in for an aborted visit.

Meant to say that they got ill, went to hospital, everything kicks off. Somebody goes round does a gas cert, everything's fine it just lapsed (wrong we all know that but it does happen) again land lords responsibility not yours. Your necks in the noose for isolating/capping meter. Has to go through proper channels. A landlord once tried to get a mate of mine to cap a meter on the grounds of an out of date llgsc, he said no. Later found out that tenants weren't paying rent, he wanted to evict using him to cut off services, llgsc was in date, court battle followed. Luckily he's not involved becos he refused but if he didn't he would have been explaining himself before a judge about hi hood intentions that weren't his legal responsibility

Cheers chaps you've put my mind at rest

this is why social landlords go to the expence of doing the certs every 9 months gives them 3 months to gain accesthey get three apointments and then a court order

this is why social landlords go to the expence of doing the certs every 9 months gives them 3 months to gain accesthey get three apointments and then a court order

The 2 Ha I work for give them 2 appointments then they get a phone call and send a letter saying if they miss the next appointment the gas will be capped. If their not in then we cap the gas.
Get the landlord to send a recorded letter with a final date saying no access then the gas will be shut off. Then go out and cap if necessary you have only done what the landlord has instructed
so if anything goes to court because of underlying reasons that is all that you say maybe get it in writing that if they are not in then the landlord is acting as the responsible person and would like the gas capped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Not allowed in property in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back