Discuss Non barrier pipe - options other than replacing it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Hi guys,

have a customer that's having problems with sludge in the system. System is a conventional system with non barrier pipe throughout. Other than replacing the radiators and piping completely, are there any other options

i have thought of a few but just think its a waste of time but would like your opinions

1. Leave as is and just Powerflush and install magnacleanse
2. As above but replace radiators
3. Powerflush and replace rads with aluminum rads
4. Replace the lot

Non-barrier is going to let oxygen in so, always going to have an issue with sludge. Best option is to replace the lot

Once you try cleaning you will disturb the dried on sludge. This falls of the surface of the non barrier pipe and blocks everything. Nothing yet dissolves it. Two real options, 1 walk away. 2 re-pipe.

There was once a theory about overdosing with inhibitor on non barrier pipe. Speak to sentinel or fernox.

Why replace rads? They made of non barrier steel? Can system be pressurised?

Could you explain what you mean?

I took it to mean "its not the radiators that are letting the oxygen in, so why replace them?"

In desperation, if replacing the pipework was incredibly difficult or expensive, I might look at the aluminium rad option. But the real problem is oxygen ingress across the non-barrier pipe. And its almost always better to fix the cause than to treat the symptoms.

Yep just flux rads. Oxygen will saturate water less readily when water is under pressure and oxygen not.

Non barrier pipe on a heating system? what does that mean? ive only ever known barrier pipe (plastic) isnt anything else just condense?

No in early days plastic pipe was a crude pipe, now it's a multi layered affair. It's just the installers who are crude now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Non barrier pipe - options other than replacing it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views
The system is about 20 years old and has never been cleaned. The radiator water looks like tar and several radiators are warm at top and cold at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We're looking to update our existing central heating setup and wanted to get a few more opinions. We currently have an open vented...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Back