Search the forum,

Discuss No power to the wiring centre! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savva

Gas Engineer
I went to a job (y-plan system) where all the stats, motorised valve & the 2 channel prog were dead. The wiring centre was dead too but the spur (where the wiring centre took its perm live) was live giving 235v. I had to leave without fixing it. Anyone had this before? Any advice on what I could have done to diagnose the fault? Cheers guys.

Had a friend last week who said he turned off a boiler at the fuse spur but then it didn't work after that, turned out he had to replace the fuse spur as apparently that was faulty. Not come across it myself as of yet tho

Was the wiring center the PCB type if so maybe an internal fuse had blown......regards Turnpin:smile5:

Cheer guys, I wish it was as simple as a blown fuse. What really puzzled me was the spur was fine, I had 230v going in and then 230v coming out when the switch was on but then nothing in the wiring centre! It was a normal wiring centre, didn't catch the make...

Had it with a boiler. Flex ran over flue on an external grant. Cable melted together.

Is there an isolator between the spur and the wiring centre maybe hidden behind something near the boiler or airing cupboard?

Checked, couldn't find anything. I thought there might be another spur somewhere but there wasn't anything I could find! Very frustrating because if I could get power to the wiring centre I'm sure everything would have worked.

Cheer guys, I wish it was as simple as a blown fuse. What really puzzled me was the spur was fine, I had 230v going in and then 230v coming out when the switch was on but then nothing in the wiring centre! It was a normal wiring centre, didn't catch the make...

What goes in must come out... Damaged cable I guess

Have you got a volt pen, that could help you to a degree, I know there not the best tool but can be helpful

We had one that totally confused us for about 5 mins, usuall fault finding process and we discovered that someone had reversed live and neutral half way round the ring main....

So neutral was live at 230V and live was neutral at 0V, old "mechanical" controls worked fine...

Do you know how to check if the cable damaged using a multi-meter ?

Length of flex with three pin on the end wired into wiring center.

Not wired through programmer?

Do a continuity test on the cable from the spur to the wiring centre.

you may find that the cable exiting the fused spur is clamped onto the insulation.. meaning that you read voltage at the screw to the load side of the spur but the cable isnt getting any juice.
OR - sometimes the cable coming from the spur is badly clamped or the wrong side of the captive U and is barely in contact with the load side meaning it cant supply enough juice to the few strands that may be in contact..
ive seen both these things happen

I've got a similar problem to this. I went to fit a new programmer and 'tidy' the wiring for a guy who'd had one of those Danfoss 3060 mechanical programmers (Fitting a new Honeywell) and everything was working, kind of, until I finished the rewire and switched back on :(
Power at the spur but not at the 10 way. I've tried everything I can think of so pray do tell - how does one check for reversed L & N?
I know how to do the continuity check but reversed L & N check is new to me.

btw: I say that it was 'kinda' working beforehand because that what it was. every time the heating was on, the water was on as well. There appeared to be no interlock on the HW circuit. One 28 mm MV and that's it. I determined that it must be wired as a C plan as a result of what I found/observed.
It doesn't help that the builder who put up the extension didn't match up the cables either. Grey T&E onto (I think) white flex from the stats.
I was working until 7:30 trying to sort this before the guy told me to go home and have a sleep on it :) I'm back tomorrow afternoon to try again.

have you found 230v in the wiring centre at all?
just put the black probe on a good earth and then probe the other connections for the live.. when the meter reads 230, the wire you have the red probe on is live..

usually the 10 way has the first 3 connections as L-N-PE

have you found 230v in the wiring centre at all?
just put the black probe on a good earth and then probe the other connections for the live.. when the meter reads 230, the wire you have the red probe on is live..

usually the 10 way has the first 3 connections as L-N-PE

Yep - thanks very much for that info, thats what I was doing. I just couldn't remember the results from yesterday, hence the question.
What I really wanted to know though, for future reference, is how to determine if the L&N are reversed?
I'm back there this afternoon and I'd like to get it sorted in time to get home for the rugby at 1:30 (Being of Irish roots and all that :) )
I'd also like to know (or be reminded if it's what I'm doing already) of how to find the other end of the room stat or cylinder stat cable where it pokes out of the wall?
Cheers for the help :)

do you mean to see if the power supply wires are reversed ?
on my meter, if you swap the probes around they will read -230v AC

I dont know what you mean by find the other end of the room/cyl stat cable.
when wiring has been messed with by owner/builder etc I usually just do a continuity test and turn the stats on and off.

Right, I might have found the problem but I'm not certain - yet.
When I put my fluke tester into the blue wires, either of them, coming from the sich motor on the move, and the PE on the 10 way, I have continuity so I'm thinking that the motor might have given up in the first place

could be the contact plates on the spur arched out?
change spur & cable and start there before you get in a carfuffle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No power to the wiring centre! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock