Search the forum,

Discuss New plumber rates? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

still learning

Hi folks.
Ok, I'm progressing bit by bit. Sole trader since 2000, had staff come and go as work fluctuates.
I took on an apprentice for year then jacked , as they do. My current app entice is just finishing his 1st year and wants to stay . Point is, how much to pay him.?
Ok.., his details are
19 yr, just completed nvq 2 , no tools,no transport,picked up and dropped home, he can complete basic 1st and 2nd fix bathrooms providing nothing tricky pops up, he can solder well, fit rads.
I do want to keep him but only if its financially worth it, after all, it's all about doing a good job but for a profit.
Obviously I don't want to pay too much but nor do I want to pay peanuts.
So , what's a fair wage for this little pipe bender?
Also, if you can be bothered. ... employed or take him on as a subby?

Is he staying on to do his lvl 3? I still considered myself as an apprentice whilst doing my lvl 3 so was on £150 a week after passing my lvl 2.

i'd vote for minimum wage as your going to be paying him even when you dont get paid but give him a few bonuses when he does a good job or your on a good earner,

the bonus dosnt have to be money though could be new tools

£200 a week at least. Bonus on decent jobs. He is fully qualified in the uk as he has the minimum standard required. He can bugger off anytime and get double to treble that easily. If he's decent then keep him happy.

Question is are you teaching him or do you expect him to make you money?
If it is the latter then pay him what he is worth to you otherwise you risk loosing another one.
Or
If you teach & help him, still pay him when he goes to college, help him gain all the experience he needs to get his NVQ & become a fully skilled plumber, then pay him a reduced rate.

Too many employers treat an apprentice as cheap labour on the pretence that they are in training.

As a guide you could use these JIB rates but remember they are also supposed to get all the allowances as well not just the rate.
http://www.unitetheunion.org/upload...rom_169_2015_Pay_Rates_Allowances11-23255.pdf

Last edited:
Well said Chris,
To still learning, it sounds like your apprentice does OK with work, but only you know or should know his potential by now,

Thanks for input. 1st one buggered off as he hated plumbing and now works at aldi.
I do know exactly what new lad is capable of but simply wanted feedback on the going rate of pay.
Btw, he is entitled to 2.73 per hour, I pay him 4.50 plus bonuses plus lunch plus coffees plus trained him to the level he's now at so certainly not cheap labour.
I am teaching him,to be a plumber to earn me money.

My apprentice is on £6.50 h/hr, £260 a week. Good apprentiships are hard to find so he's happy with that.

Mine gets £200wk. 20yr old. But he does gets it easy! Hardest thing i find is how much to book him out for, some days he's worth his weight in gold and i can book him out at my rate. But at other small jobs he's a spare part and hard to justify charging anything to the customer.

For a level 3 I'd say 200wk minimum. But if he hasn't got his own tools, can only do basic stuff that a level 2 apprentice can do and especially if he has no transport and gets picked up and dropped off, then not much more.

My current app entice is just finishing his 1st year ... Ok.., his details are 19 yr

Btw, he is entitled to 2.73 per hour, I pay him 4.50

£2.73 was the old rate. From Oct 2015 the rate is £3.30, so you may owe him a few weeks bacback pay. Lunch and coffees don't count. Bonuses may count, but only under certain circs.

As soon as he turns 19 and moves into his 2nd year, national minimum wage is £5.30

nmw.jpg

Link here

Being on 4.50 per hour age 18 1st year I'm unlikely to owe him anything. Thanks for the message all the same:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New plumber rates? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock