Search the forum,

Discuss New Member in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

My name is Paul

I am 3/4 of the way through a plumbing course, City and Guilds 6128 Heating and Ventilation Course. I am really enjoying the course and have just passed my water regs exam. This is a new venture for me having spent all my working life in the Travel Industry. The course is good but it is nearly all theory, so desperately need practical experience.

Is anyone in the same boat?. I have done a few jobs for friends/family etc. I have also called plumbers and asked if I could do some plumbers mate jobs, but have had no luck.

Anyone know of any good ways of getting started. I am happy to watch and learn.

Looking forward to being an active member of the site

Paul:)

Hi Paul and a warm welcome from myself :) yes there are unfortunately tens of thousands of people in the same boat as there are an incredible amount of people doing plumbing courses at the minute. Could you shed a little more on where you are training ? what is a 6128? I am not aware of this as a qualification. what does it involve? :)

Hi John

Thanks for you reply. I am studyintg with New Career Skills and have been attending their practical weeks in the centre in Southampton. I have done 3 of the practical weeks and just have the last to complete which I hope to do at the end of September.

I have found them very good although it has been difficult to cram in the study between home and work commitments. However I am determined to finish the course. I have recently passed my Water Regulations exam and have that certificate.

When I started the course it was the 61539 Accedited Domestic Plumbing Installation Programme and it has now been upgraded to the C and G 6128 Technical Certificate in Heating and Ventilationg Level 2 which I believe is a better qualification. However qualifications seem irrevelant unless you have some good practical experience which is difficult to get.

Plumbing is something new for me as I have spent my whole career in the travel industry and I wanted to do something that is practical and useful. I like many others am looking to learn and gain valuable practical knowledge.

My plan was to use this knowledge to supplement my income. I am in my mid 40's and reached a fairly senior position in the travel industry but have been made redundant twice in a year, so have some more time to finish my studying and then hopefully build up a domestic plumbing client base through friends and family etc.

Any useful advise would be welcome

thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

Unfortunately you also need to attain the NVQ which goes with the 6128 Summit Skills are the authority [DLMURL="http://www.summitskills.org.uk/Apprenticeships/Certification-and-Registration/219"]SummitSkills | Home[/DLMURL] is where you need to look. You have done HVACR level 2 by the sounds of it so you have passed the tech certificate part. Have a look at the site to see if there is any way of obtaining your NVQ which needs you to work with an understanding employer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Member in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock