Discuss New boiler & contols - how ensure efficient operation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

p7777m

I'm having a new boiler installed to replace my exceedingly reliable (and still working) 25-yr old Potterton Netaheat 16/22.
I've been offered this:
Glow Worm Ultracom 18HXI or Vaillant Ecotec Plus 418 (+£360)
Grundfos 15-60 high head pump
S plan, autobypass valve
Magnaclean
Power flush
Honeywell cylinder stat, (single) room stat, programmer.
Fully vented.
(HW cylinder is indirect, fully vented)
How do I ensure that my boiler runs as efficiently as possible & spends as much of its time as possible in condensing mode...
(a) - at install time, by influencing the choice of components and how/where theyr'e installed - ?
(b) - and after install, when the system is in use?
I believe I should be asking for a Grundfos Alpha instead, in order to give the boiler a better chance of minimising non-condensing operation. Is that right?
Have the releability issues of earlier Alphas really been addressed?
Any thoughts or recommendations on this setup and how it could be improved?
Is there anything else I should consider?
I've been told the Glow Worm Ultracom 18HXI is pretty much identical to the Vaillant except for the case. Is this correct? What does "pretty much" mean - are there any internal differences you're aware of?

They are the same boiler. Originally a Glow worm boiler I think but also sold as a Vaillant. No mention of two port valves there.

speak to your installer and he will show you how to use your conrols

Also discuss which programmer suits you as a householder

Thanks for your replies.
Bert: They differ in casing at the very least. I wonder if they were tempted to make other changes too. How sure are you that they are the same internals... identical heat exchanger etc etc?
I didn't mention 2-port valves because I thought S-plan implied that where heating water + radiators. Proposal is two 2-port valves - one for each of those circuits.
Tom: I was looking for extra input on configuration and choice of controls and other components. For example, weather compensation, optimising roomstat, chrono-proportional roomstat (maybe those last two are the same thing - are they?)

As Plumbstar Tom has said, you need to have more of an in depth conversation with your installer, each install is different and budget will play a big part. There are a lot of fancy gadgets out there costing big money for little return. I always find simple is best, hope you get sorted.

Pretty sure they are exactly the same inside. Heat ex, fan, condensate trap etc. The PCB is possibly different as the Vaillant model seems to have more adjustable settings. I could be wrong about that though.

I only mentioned 2 port valves as you had specified good quality gear for the rest of it but omitted to mention the valves, depending on the make these can vary greatly in quality & longevity.

As far as controls go, I'm with Simon G on that, simple is best.

If you want better control go for 3 Chanel time clock ( 3 zone valves)
Upstairs and downstairs heating and hot water only and yes go for A rated pump modulating

... and yes go for A rated pump modulating
I've seen suggestions that there may be problems using a variable speed pump and auto-bypass - any views on this?

Also, how does a modern low-water-content condensing boiler cope with a power cut? It's not possible for the pump to run on in order to dissapate heat - so should I expect likely need for heat exchanger replacement every time there's a power cut when the boiler is at full tilt?

You aint gonna be changing heat exchanger every time the power goes, it aint good for it but not gonna wreck it EVERY time, I worked on a contract for 2 years where we fitted grundfoss modulating pumps and everyone had a auto by-pass fitted too, never had a problem.

Pretty sure the gas valve in the Vaillant is much better, it modulates better so will be saving you on your fuel bill too.

I worked on a contract for 2 years where we fitted grundfoss modulating pumps and everyone had a auto by-pass fitted too, never had a problem.
What adjustments/choices are there with an auot-bypass valve - is it just choosing the pressure at which it opens?
If so, how do you do this with a modulating pump - do yuou simply choose a pressure just (barely) above the maximum published pressure that the pump claims to deliver?

I don't know the official answer but I recently had a whole load of air in our heating system.

I felt the temperature of the pipes and listened to the effects of having the by-pass fully open. Then I closed it and the pump speed increased quite dramatically. Opened again to hear the tone (I'm musical) of the pump when the by-pass was fully open. Then closed it again until the tone started changing and the pump just started to increase it's speed again.

Whether this is correct or not I have no idea but I do know that water is passing through the by-pass and all the relevant pipes are giving the same temperature. And, more importantly, since doing this there has been no noticeable extra air in the system as all the radiators are quiet and there are no bubbling noises in the flow and return pipes!

...I do know that water is passing through the by-pass and all the relevant pipes are giving the same temperature
You mean all pipes, including both sides of the auto-bypass, are the same temperature, and you therefore reckon that the autobypass is (at least part)open all the time?
If so surely that's not right (the situation, not your deduction)? - since it means your pump is needing to work harder than it would if it was just driving your zone(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
The by-pass has to be open. The point of it is to allow a circulation of water with the boiler in case all the trvs close (and another safety piece in case of blockage or zone valve closing unexpectedly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler & contols - how ensure efficient operation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an 20yrs heat only potterton 50e boiler with 196x old house - suspended floor - designer radiators, open vent system and hot water...
Replies
Views
I'm a Worcester man. Hello! Anyone still there?.... I tried viessmann to up the efficiency and altho the boiler was nice, I couldn't live with...
Replies
Views
I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially...
Replies
Views
I
Dear All, Please kindly advise, i don't know what else to do! Had new boiler Vaillant 424 heat only open vent boiler installed with new flue and...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock