Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler commissioning requirement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

solutions

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just wondered what everyone thought of the new boiler commissioning requirements that will come in from April 2014 that will require a CO safety test. I assume most allready analyse a new boiler installation as I do.

Just wondered what everyone thought of the new boiler commissioning requirements that will come in from April 2014 that will require a CO safety test. I assume most allready analyse a new boiler installation as I do.

you cant commission any modern boiler without an fga anyhow, seems stupid gas safe are enforcing something the manufacturers insist on anyhow.

Apparently if the benchmark is not filled out which from april 2014 will include recording fga results, the manufacturers will not honor the warranty.

inter told us to do a check when i went upto them and 9.1.4 does tell you to check CO2

as per

9.1.4 Combustion
The combustion for this appliance has been checked, adjusted and preset at the
factory for operation on the gas type defined on the appliance data plate. Do not
adjust the air/gas ratio valve. Having checked:
•
That the boiler has been installed in accordance with these instructions;
•
The integrity of the flue system and the flue seal, as described in § 8.5 and the
British Standards codes of practices, specifically BS 5440;
•
The integrity of the boiler combustion circuit and the relevant seals, as descibed in
§ 12.3 eg with a flue spillage mirror;
proceed to put the boiler into operation as follows:
1. Set up the boiler to operate at maximum rate as described in § 10.7
2. With the boiler operating in the maximum rate condition check that the CO2
value measuered at sampling point (X) complies with the requirements as
described in the table under § 10.8
Ensure that this inlet pressure can be obtained with all other gas appliances in
the property working.

So, as they all say this time of year, "Oh Yes They Do" :)

As stated many mainufacturers have for years not required it but when asked would suggest its good practice. The new requirements have been non mandatory but recommended from last april and will come into force next year.

Manufacturers have always been saying shyte about voiding warrantys, but they dont tend to follow there threats up tbh. It wont stop bad installs anyway, we have all seen the benchmark filled out which has obviously been just a copying of the figures from the data table in the front of the instructions. Its a step forward but a small step.

what wiil it mean for bad installs/illegal installs? nowt tbh, they will just have to fake a few more figures i guess.

Last edited:
its not a requirement to FGA a boiler when commissioning it, just a recommendation, so to carry the pantomime on lame 'oh no they dont'

Most manus say if you have correct inlet pressure and gas rate then their gas valves have been set up to burner within safe limits

If you want to optimise it, then yes, use fga

Doesn't the new requirement in April require a check on the air inlet to ensure no Poc's are present? They mentioned it a while back but not sure if it will happen as a lot of manufacturers don't even supply a test point?

gsr inspection point on my last one and re not inspection point, stick it in outside if you can reach. Always thought it stupid not to check settings at commissioning, being that in 12 months time you have to get your fga out any how.

No point testing on the air inlet outside though is there. The fault could be further down the flue and it wouldn't show anything up?

No point testing on the air inlet outside though is there. The fault could be further down the flue and it wouldn't show anything up?

Did one yesterday, flexicom heat only with the rear flue and a plume kit, stuck the probe down the air intake outside, o2 dropped and i got 4ppm on co

Whipped the cover off the boiler and could see a slight bit of plume where the innner flue wasnt sat in the rubber washer correctly

So i dismantled the flue, greased the inner section and pushed it fully home then reasembled the plume kit and fga was all fine

Checking the air inlet from outside was worth it, agree it would be better from inside

well i have picked up a faulty flue by doing this so never say never :)

Yeah on a short flue fair enough it may pick it up, but anything longer than the standard flue kit and I wouldn't want to trust the readings as being accurate.

When flue is longer than 1m do fga as normal, save and then stick probe in clean side and wait for it to zero by that time benchmark done and fga purged too! Learned from a bad flue job I did a few moons ago 6" concentric horizontal on a NETATEC !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler commissioning requirement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good morning all, just a quick one here and i was wondering if someone could give a little advice on their own experience. I don't usually do a lot of installs or a tremendous amount of gas work but obviously when I do undertake these things then I try my best to keep within the appropriate...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone! Parents not used the boiler since 2013/2014, since installing a new wetroom for them they have now decided its worth getting the boiler running again. The only reason it has not been used i so long is the the zone valve kept getting stuck (would have fixed this myself if i knew!)...
Replies
Views
I must be cursed The new boiler that was fitted yesterday had a problem on commissioning, when the central heating was turned on the boiler fired but the pipework was only getting hot up to a certain point, it took the plumber a couple of hours to figure out what was happening, the problem was...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I was hoping you could help with a potential boiler build query for my father. He has recently had a new boiler installed via British Gas (valiant brand). The external boiler flue seems excessively tall, proving to be somewhat of an eye sore (please see pictures attached). I know it...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock