Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Mystery leak in unvented heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Newbie here. Not good way to start :(

I've a Vaillant ecotec and pressurised cylinder too. Just had plumber isolate the
cylinder and still losing pressure around 0.2bar over 12 hours. Been many months.

Started losing all pressure in a day recently, over time was getting worse.

Boiler insurance changed many parts deemed necessary while troubleshooting.
Then isolated it and it's not losing pressure.

No visible signs of leak in house so presume downstairs.

About to spend a load of money getting leak buster's in :( any recommendations on these guys?

Is it worth putting air at pressure into system and listening
For hissing?

Once system is sorted will turn to the cylinder... :(

Thanks
B.

Welcome.

Why don't you ask the boiler insurance company to have a look at it with a thermal imaging camera as it will be a more cost effective way of tracing a leak.

Welcome.

Why don't you ask the boiler insurance company to have a look at it with a thermal imaging camera as it will be a more cost effective way of tracing a leak.

Oh! I will ask. But they have eliminated the boiler already.
They are Domestic and General.

Is there should reason you say they will do a leak check with
a thermal camera of they have eliminated the boiler? The rest of the
Heating system is not covered AFAIK.

Thanks
B.

Obviously, different people will have had different experiences with thermal imaging cameras.

I have used them to try and find leaks in commercial buildings due to the inconvenience of lifting floors.

Unfortunately, it was not effective, it shows partially where pipes run but dependant upon the ground or surroundings that the pipe is in, you cannot necessarily see a leak.

The thermal imaging search can be extremely expensive, especially if nothing is found.

Just to repeat, I am only speaking from my experience and others may well have found it useful.
It must work well in some cases otherwise it wouldn't continue to be of use.

I would start by pressure testing the pipework if you cannot get underfloor to see physically. If you have ruled out the cylinder and boiler, it is highly likely that the pipework is leaking.

What model vaillant? System or heat only
Some pics might help

Thanks guys for taking the time. Bit the bullet. Got leakbusters in. Very costly, but found a leaking radiator! It's a column radiator almost 10 years old. No water was visible. But their gas detection showed it up.

Since shutting off the rad. Pressure has been steady for 4 days now.

So my advice to anyone is isolate each rad 1 by 1 watching for pressure loss with each change. Give it enough time.

Phew!

B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mystery leak in unvented heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock