Discuss Morning Everybody - Hope all is well? - What have we got on, how are we all doing? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Morning everybody.
  1. Hope you are all well. What have you got on today / the rest of this week?
  2. How are we all feeling? I think we need help each other out a bit when we're in times like these. Hope you're doing okay.
  3. When are you up for your jab? - Do you know yet?
  4. How's work, is it still trickling through or has it dried up? Or perhaps you're booming at the moment with boilers breaking left right and center.
  5. What PPE extras are you taking?
  6. Which suppliers are open physically? Which are online only? Where are you getting your stuff from?
Answer all or any or nowt. Let's see if we can check in and help each other out.

Morning Dan,

Great thread mate. Mood/mental health is up and down, but generally ok. How about you? I haven’t stopped really other than annual leave since last lockdown. Boiler breakdowns is my main area of concentration, I work in social housing, so we have to provide landlord certificates, so these guys are still working as well, and we provide emergency breakdowns, but we’re still attending non emergencies. PPE I’m using is more disposable gloves (wore them anyway with my kind of work) and masks. Customers have to adhere to social distancing, we now ventilate the room(s) where we’re working, and ask the customer vacate the room(s) as well. Our stuff is mainly from Travis Perkins - called managed services they have measures in place, such as booking a time slot, only so many allowed in, etc. A lot of gas/heating stuff will come from direct heating spares (TP owned).

All good my ends Dan. I’m a DIYer so rely upon the support and advice from this forum to get the simple jobs done. Other than that, all else is well.

Too much work to do and just having 10 days at home self isolating hasn’t helped

fortunately all my customers are understanding and realistic

Morning everybody.
My life centres around 24/7 caring for & shielding my Wife, not much time for anything else
  1. How are we all feeling? I think we need help each other out a bit when we're in times like these. Hope you're doing okay.
Depression and anxiety are my main concerns....anytime I have had to go out, I get a severe panic attack, never known anything like it. I hope when this is all over, these feelings will stop, get so paranoid, a very scary world. 😱
  1. When are you up for your jab? - Do you know yet?
Meant to be getting a letter this week for my Wife, I am 67 so hope it will come fairly soon
  1. How's work, is it still trickling through or has it dried up? Or perhaps you're booming at the moment with boilers breaking left right and center.
No work, not paid anyway 😂 retired, thank God
  1. What PPE extras are you taking?
Use masks when answering the door, fanatic about hand gel and sanitising worktops and delivered parcels.....got to do everything possible.....so far so good 🙏
  1. Which suppliers are open physically? Which are online only? Where are you getting your stuff
we have a local hardware shop that stocks just about everything, all food & meals are delivered, so rarely any need to go out, I guess we are very fortunate 👍
  1. from?
Answer all or any or nowt. Let's see if we can check in and help each other out.

My life centres around 24/7 caring for & shielding my Wife, not much time for anything else

Depression and anxiety are my main concerns....anytime I have had to go out, I get a severe panic attack, never known anything like it. I hope when this is all over, these feelings will stop, get so paranoid, a very scary world. 😱

Meant to be getting a letter this week for my Wife, I am 67 so hope it will come fairly soon

No work, not paid anyway 😂 retired, thank God

Use masks when answering the door, fanatic about hand gel and sanitising worktops and delivered parcels..got to do everything possible..so far so good 🙏

we have a local hardware shop that stocks just about everything, all food & meals are delivered, so rarely any need to go out, I guess we are very fortunate 👍
Nice reply thanks matey.

You'll be alright once this is all over mate. Anxiety has increased massively recently but I bet it calms down just as quick once we're all comfy going for walks that aren't forced on us lol

One thing that’s increasing anxiety, for both of us, is the number of scam phone calls we get each day, currently 4-5. Set my mobile to do not disturb at night, but Have to leave the landline on, in case get hospital calls etc. Have registered with TPS, but makes little difference that I can tell. I block the numbers, but my land line phone only has a 100 blocked call limit, so soon fills up, have to delete and start again. Most calls are pretending to be Amazon, Apple Open reach, recent car accident etc. etc. I admit I do use some choice words to these callers, I do have to be careful though, as some withheld or unknown numbers are genuine, so have to wait & see if a scam or not.....the Virgin media ones are particularly convincing, discussing router issues and possible connection issues...lostened to a lot of drivel the first couple of times, but now I recognise the banter 🤯 I suggested to OffCom & Virgin media that have a database of scam numbers, contributed to by customers ( an easy way of doing this could be created ) then anyone subscribing ( free ) to this service would automatically have all the numbers on this database withheld, this would cut down on a lot of nuisance calls, as the database would continually be updated, every time a scam call number was reported....Virgin could have the option to confirm the number before adding to the database.......but they JUST NOT INTERESTED.....Even wrote to my M.P. Who just suggested blocking unknown callers, well that wouldn’t work as hospital calls are always unknown as they come from a switchboard, in fact it’s now illegal to make a marketing call from a withheld number, so I think they are in the decline, the numbers used are I believe virtual numbers. I phoned One scam call number and it was a private residence who said he had no knowledge of calling anyone.....I think maybe the scam callers are now cloning normal numbers, anything’s possible I guess 🤯

may have to invest in a new cordless landline phone, found one that has a 1000 blocked call memory and can block numbers by the area code or simply beginning with 0229, so that may help....🤞

One thing that’s increasing anxiety, for both of us, is the number of scam phone calls we get each day, currently 4-5. Set my mobile to do not disturb at night, but Have to leave the landline on, in case get hospital calls etc. Have registered with TPS, but makes little difference that I can tell. I block the numbers, but my land line phone only has a 100 blocked call limit, so soon fills up, have to delete and start again. Most calls are pretending to be Amazon, Apple Open reach, recent car accident etc. etc. I admit I do use some choice words to these callers, I do have to be careful though, as some withheld or unknown numbers are genuine, so have to wait & see if a scam or not..the Virgin media ones are particularly convincing, discussing router issues and possible connection issues...lostened to a lot of drivel the first couple of times, but now I recognise the banter 🤯 I suggested to OffCom & Virgin media that have a database of scam numbers, contributed to by customers ( an easy way of doing this could be created ) then anyone subscribing ( free ) to this service would automatically have all the numbers on this database withheld, this would cut down on a lot of nuisance calls, as the database would continually be updated, every time a scam call number was reported....Virgin could have the option to confirm the number before adding to the database....but they JUST NOT INTERESTED..Even wrote to my M.P. Who just suggested blocking unknown callers, well that wouldn’t work as hospital calls are always unknown as they come from a switchboard, in fact it’s now illegal to make a marketing call from a withheld number, so I think they are in the decline, the numbers used are I believe virtual numbers. I phoned One scam call number and it was a private residence who said he had no knowledge of calling anyone..I think maybe the scam callers are now cloning normal numbers, anything’s possible I guess 🤯

may have to invest in a new cordless landline phone, found one that has a 1000 blocked call memory and can block numbers by the area code or simply beginning with 0229, so that may help.***🤞
Perhaps try this?

All good work wise, I'm a general builder and have an empty flat to do so no probs. Just had the usual when ripping out the old bathroom gear, why am I still shocked at how Rubbish some peoples work is after 30 years?!!
As for the 'jab', forget it, at one point I did nine months of nutrition studies, most doctors get half a day. I've read extensively, mostly testimony from doctors and scientists and this "vaccine" is basically untested especially for long term effects, the animal tests for previous MRNA vaccines ended up with lots of dead animals due to auto immune disorders, I wouldn't trust the pharmaceutical industry one bit, every company involved has been fined millions just in the past decade for malpractice and misrepresentation. The report has just been published from the Chinese doctors in Wuhan, they used intravenous vitamin C to treat covid meaning 80% less deaths and had zero cases by May last year. All this info has been shared with the government and health authorities.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that’s increasing anxiety, for both of us, is the number of scam phone calls we get each day, currently 4-5. Set my mobile to do not disturb at night, but Have to leave the landline on, in case get hospital calls etc. Have registered with TPS, but makes little difference that I can tell. I block the numbers, but my land line phone only has a 100 blocked call limit, so soon fills up, have to delete and start again. Most calls are pretending to be Amazon, Apple Open reach, recent car accident etc. etc. I admit I do use some choice words to these callers, I do have to be careful though, as some withheld or unknown numbers are genuine, so have to wait & see if a scam or not..the Virgin media ones are particularly convincing, discussing router issues and possible connection issues...lostened to a lot of drivel the first couple of times, but now I recognise the banter 🤯 I suggested to OffCom & Virgin media that have a database of scam numbers, contributed to by customers ( an easy way of doing this could be created ) then anyone subscribing ( free ) to this service would automatically have all the numbers on this database withheld, this would cut down on a lot of nuisance calls, as the database would continually be updated, every time a scam call number was reported....Virgin could have the option to confirm the number before adding to the database....but they JUST NOT INTERESTED..Even wrote to my M.P. Who just suggested blocking unknown callers, well that wouldn’t work as hospital calls are always unknown as they come from a switchboard, in fact it’s now illegal to make a marketing call from a withheld number, so I think they are in the decline, the numbers used are I believe virtual numbers. I phoned One scam call number and it was a private residence who said he had no knowledge of calling anyone..I think maybe the scam callers are now cloning normal numbers, anything’s possible I guess 🤯

may have to invest in a new cordless landline phone, found one that has a 1000 blocked call memory and can block numbers by the area code or simply beginning with 0229, so that may help.***🤞
SOrry to hear your plight. There isn’t much you can do with these scammers. Just as quick as you block one number, they’ll call again using a different number. Speak to your phone provider. They should already know some of these numbers. I think BT offer a service where only those that part of your friends and family list will be able to call you. All other numbers are automatically barred - could work? If you’ve got a mobile, maybe get F&F to call on that first to let you know they’ll then call on your house phone. Another option - if you are not expecting any calls whatsoever, put the house phone on silent. This way you will not be woken up and have to get up unnecessarily. I told my parents and in-laws to do this and they find it works. Anyone important like a doctor etc rtc will try you home phone but will then try your mobile - you’ll know it’s legit.

@Reddwarf4ever Im not sure how it’s done, but some of our customer’s have a service whereby calls are screened, so you have to state who you are 1st, might be worth looking into?

I think he's a guest @Dan

How are people with the storm? I hope nobody has flooding.

Could you change your number and then forward calls to the new number?

Just a silly thought. Is your landline an answerphone. That seems to help a bit.

Also if you want a bit of fun to make you feel better, then for computer type scams ask them what their IP address is, something like "yes I'll just connect and show you, can you give me your IP address please". Most will put the phone down very quickly and run away.

And for anybody not following, NEVER give any cold caller any info, and never any info on your computer like it's IP address . . .so if they ask you to open a command prompt or whatever via whatever method, terminate the call.

The law should be changed to trace scammers, wherever they are on the planet and block their connections. It's really not rocket science. Of course big business is at stake . . .

Cheers,

Roy

Got my call up for 1st jab this week, as I'm on the vulnerable list. Concerned though they have done all the care homes as far as possible. Of course those on the list really need their partners to get the jab too.

This is my cautiously optimistic take on COVID:

Mutations will I think mean we will need updated vaccines just like the flu jab each year or so. Fortunately better treatments (for when you catch COVID) are under dev, so we have to hope the vaccines will buy the time until those come along to get us out of lockdown etc. It's a reasonable hope I think, if we all get the jab.

What I don't get: As the kids can't ever sign the consent forms to trial any vaccine in children, we won't get a vaccine for them any time soon, so there will always be transmission at that level. Perhaps India will do those tests?

Hang on in there, and keep doing as much plumbing as you can.

Cheers,

Roy

All good, my City and Guilds level 2 has temporarily moved online via Microsoft teams due to Hemel Hempstead college being closed during the lockdown. But there has been plenty to keep me going with the canvas app. I've managed to get through the health and safety, communication and scientific principles exams with distinction grade, so I'm very happy with that. I cannot wait to get back into the college workshop and carry on the practical side. I am doing the course on a retraining basis as I am currently a chef and would like to change course with my career path.
Stay safe everyone. 😊

Reports about this jab are not encouraging.
Hi John,

That sky news article is incomplete and does not make sense to me. They have yet to publish any results?

It's a chicken and egg problem. I'm thinking if we ignore the vaccine then failure will probably result. Yes it's prob not perfect. I'm sure it's going to be a muddle through job. The whole think is biological warfare accidental or intentional. War always is a muddle however well organised when anyone starts it.

There are two things to consider in terms of vaccines:

a) not catching COVID (we would all like it to be 100% foolproof)

b) lessening the potentially life changing effects of catching it

Vaccines in general do help with b) as well as a) so are still important, if not foolproof for all of the people all of the time.

I think it's ultimately all about the kids, not the old and vulnerable who in general I think would not wish lockdown on anybody.

Hope that might help a bit.

Cheers,

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that’s increasing anxiety, for both of us, is the number of scam phone calls we get each day,
As someone has mentioned, call screening works, so suggest you phone BT or whoever you're with and see if they provide this service and at what cost.

When a person phones a screened number they get a recorded message saying to speak his or her name and then press * and then the person being called gets a phone call saying that [name] is calling and they can then choose whether to answer. I suspect a scam caller would hang up as soon as he finds the line is protected.

(Only disadvantage is a customer with a very old phone without * and # keys will not be able to get through. But that is extremely rare now: even rotary phones can be upgraded to allow them to tone dial.)

I think I'm doing okay. OTOH, my wife says that my normally calm mood now depends entirely on whether the Co-Op had my favourite pizzas available.

Is 'wrong-pizza rage' a thing, or is this just me?

TBH I find avoiding listening or watching the news keeps my blood pressure down ************
Spot on. Avoid the MSM as they call it these days (OK just check the sports pages). Only reason for looking at it is to see & understand how they are spinning "stories" to generate max response and their ratings etc. etc. Quite scary really, so best leave it alone.

Morning everybody.
  2. How are we all feeling? I think we need help each other out a bit when we're in times like these. Hope you're doing okay.
  3. When are you up for your jab? - Do you know yet?
  4. How's work, is it still trickling through or has it dried up? Or perhaps you're booming at the moment with boilers breaking left right and center.
  5. What PPE extras are you taking?
  6. Which suppliers are open physically? Which are online only? Where are you getting your stuff from?
Hi, Doing ok, plodding on, just get a sick of asking customers to back off, keep away and stop standing over me!! Just over 50 so my jab will be due towards the end of the pandemic .
What i dont get is we are classed as" KEY WORKERS" as all other essential trades going into house after house, from family to family yet still don't qualify for a jab until the over 50,s..
All my suppliers are open but with strict x2 per counter, and counters moved closer to doors with one way systems in place.

I've been keeping an eye on the news but I do find very quickly I get burnt out with it and have to turn it off. I like Jeremy vine but watching him on a morning and then listening to him on the radio is a bit much. It's just covid covid covid.

I'm a bit sick of it.

I've been keeping an eye on the news but I do find very quickly I get burnt out with it and have to turn it off. I like Jeremy vine but watching him on a morning and then listening to him on the radio is a bit much. It's just covid covid covid.

I'm a bit sick of it.

gosh, I’m impressed you can watch and listen to Jeremy Vine - he’s a very overpaid presenter who peddles rubbish

He does do my head in sometimes, it's not like I am a religious follower of his lol.

I choose not to visit customers because of my personal preference however my income is not dependant on visits. The construction industry including plumbing is fully open with no restriction on what jobs you can take and with no compensation for not working. There may be many covid plumbers visiting customers.
The hospital are full, the roads are crowded, the death rate is at its highest, the number of cases keeps rising after and during these so called lock downs.
Nice one Boris.

Quotes here, quotes there and not very many wanting installations to happen until lockdown restrictions are lifted. Actually been looking at part time driving/delivery jobs to help pass the time but haven't gone as far as applying for one. Wow, I sound like a bag of fun after reading my own reply...

Reply to Morning Everybody - Hope all is well? - What have we got on, how are we all doing? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back