Search the forum,

Discuss Mental Health Issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just putting it out there..

Does anyone suffer from any mental health issues.. Me? Severe self esteem and anxiety issues. Does my bloody head in lol

Just wonder if I'm alone in the mental department...

Got a job on tomorrow and I'm already getting anxious about it, ain't even that bad a job

Nope Im completely normal.
I find a trip to the massage parlour normally relaxes me
Mind you, Im back to square one once Im presented with the bill

Last edited:

Does anyone suffer from any mental health issues.. Me? Severe self esteem and anxiety issues. Does my bloody head in lol

Got a job on tomorrow and I'm already getting anxious about it, ain't even that bad a job

I get anxious sometimes really bad

Me too

Are you going to make yourself go and do the job ?

Always do.. But then I don't really have a choice as I work for a firm so they book my jobs. Plus I prefer to push myself, no point avoiding stuff cos I'm my own worst enemy! But it's a really crap feeling at the time though, but once it's done it makes the crap worth while..

I get anxious sometimes about the most insignificant jobs. I just can't take pressure anymore.
But any job, no matter how big, that has no hard to do time limit, I can do okay.
Weirdly some real tricky jobs I can laugh at and do no problem.
I find talking about the job to others shares the pressure. Also make sure a pressure job is as well prepared for as possible to save some hassle.
One way to realise you have actually a very easy job with no real pressure is watch some of those life or death hospital operations on tv. At least plumbers rarely have someone's life in their hands.

Last edited:
I get anxious sometimes about the most insignificant jobs. I just can't take pressure anymore.
But any job, no matter how big, that has no hard to do time limit, I can do okay.
Weirdly some real tricky jobs I can laugh at and do no problem.
I find taking about the job to others shares the pressure. Also make sure a pressure job is as well prepared for as possible to save some hassle

Snap! I think my nemesis is time and pressure, especially if I'm doing something I've never done before. Some things I find quite simple other engineers really don't like and vice versa. Like tomorrow I'm putting in a new gas run to a hob but it's being run externally and then through the wall into the kitchen. I've been given 3 hours to do it. Never done a new pipe run. Already feel the pressure!!

Snap! I think my nemesis is time and pressure, especially if I'm doing something I've never done before. Some things I find quite simple other engineers really don't like and vice versa. Like tomorrow I'm putting in a new gas run to a hob but it's being run externally and then through the wall into the kitchen. I've been given 3 hours to do it. Never done a new pipe run. Already feel the pressure!!

You'll be fine. Just do all the head work first, then double check it and neatly drill any holes etc.
Then just simple bending and soldering pipes. No point of rushing straight at it and slowing down due to mistakes.
I do find if I have a time limit, it tends to speed me up and prevents me being too easy going and wasting time.

You'll be fine. Just do all the head work first, then double check it and neatly drill any holes etc.
Then just simple bending and soldering pipes. No point of rushing straight at it and slowing down due to mistakes.
I do find if I have a time limit, it tends to speed me up and prevents me being too easy going and wasting time.
Very true. My biggest downfall when I'm anxious is I doubt myself.. So I spend (waste) a good half hour talking to myself telling myself what I need to do, and than telling myself again, and then again lol you get the idea

your not the only one mate and if we were all normal life would be boring and too easy

for me its my nerves i can be fine one moment and next im not (like a wave washes over you) , its weird but thats life

Last edited:
Very true. My biggest downfall when I'm anxious is I doubt myself.. So I spend (waste) a good half hour talking to myself telling myself what I need to do, and than telling myself again, and then again lol you get the idea

I honestly do the same! I risk changing my mind and over complicating a job.
If I am doing similar jobs often, then I can auto pilot and less stress.

The guy I shadowed on the firm when I started called me Mr Panic haha seriously I used to get anxious about changing a bloody toilet siphon lol but when I look back and see how far I've come I'm quite proud of myself for not letting my crap mental retardedness make me give up..

I honestly do the same! I risk changing my mind and over complicating a job.
If I am doing similar jobs often, then I can auto pilot and less stress.
Yup. a) I don't solder often, don't get the chance and b) I've only just asked for more install experience and c) only recently got on the gsr so a lot is new to me

Don't let stress work on you! It builds up without you realising and I am certain it causes physical illnesses. It happened me once and I only then knew what depression was and how major a problem it was to slowly improve.
Don't take your work home with you, if you understand what I mean.

Don't let stress work on you! It builds up without you realising and I am certain it causes physical illnesses. It happened me once and I only then knew what depression was and how major a problem it was to slowly improve.
Don't take your work home with you, if you understand what I mean.
I do indeed. Ill try and remember to breathe tomorrow ;) haha I used to but now I force myself to just chill with the family and feel all the better for it.

Yup. a) I don't solder often, don't get the chance and b) I've only just asked for more install experience and c) only recently got on the gsr so a lot is new to me

I am very confident with soldering, but I find it slow to get back into soldering after a period of not doing pipework. So don't worry about it.
Experience will make it all come together some day and you will chill out eventually with most jobs. But then you will probably be middle aged and starting to feel a bit past your physical prime, trust me!
:wheelchair:

Last edited:
I had a real bad year about 12 years ago, lost my dad to cancer, step dad jumped off a railway bridge in front of an oncoming train. Together with that and the increasing pressure in a job I hated it all got too much.
I kept getting periods of anxiety but didn't have a clue what they were, I found myself going to the loo just to get out of the office for a few minutes 4-5 times a day, went to my docs and he told me to take it easy and that I was 'just a delicate boy'. Looking back, if that doctor had been a little more pro-active I could have prevented what followed.
Ended up having a full blown panic attack at work and had to walk out mid shift, got in my car, drove home and locked myself in the bedroom for hours. The following weeks were horrible, I was anxious continuously, going outside and doing social stuff was a nightmare and I ended up avoiding everything.
Anyway upshot of it was I finally got taken seriously by a GP and was offered CBT councelling, it was a slow process, probably took about 3 months altogether, but a positive mental attitude and baby steps saw me completely recover. I was offered medication but refused it, maybe it would have helped but I didn't want the old brain chemistry playing with if I could avoid it.
Oh and splitting up from the moody-pig missus was also a big step in the right direction.
I do still get the odd twinge of anxiety, but I think I always have been prone to the odd twinge every now and then.
My advice to anyone who gets more than the 'odd twinge' of anxiety is to get yourself a few hours booked in with a CBT councillor they help a lot, I know there's a stigma about such things but it affects so many more people than you'd think and that very stigma is what stops most people getting help.

I had a real bad year about 12 years ago, lost my dad to cancer, step dad jumped off a railway bridge in front of an oncoming train. Together with that and the increasing pressure in a job I hated it all got too much.
I kept getting periods of anxiety but didn't have a clue what they were, I found myself going to the loo just to get out of the office for a few minutes 4-5 times a day, went to my docs and he told me to take it easy and that I was 'just a delicate boy'. Looking back, if that doctor had been a little more pro-active I could have prevented what followed.
Ended up having a full blown panic attack at work and had to walk out mid shift, got in my car, drove home and locked myself in the bedroom for hours. The following weeks were horrible, I was anxious continuously, going outside and doing social stuff was a nightmare and I ended up avoiding everything.
Anyway upshot of it was I finally got taken seriously by a GP and was offered CBT councelling, it was a slow process, probably took about 3 months altogether, but a positive mental attitude and baby steps saw me completely recover. I was offered medication but refused it, maybe it would have helped but I didn't want the old brain chemistry playing with if I could avoid it.
Oh and splitting up from the moody-pig missus was also a big step in the right direction.
I do still get the odd twinge of anxiety, but I think I always have been prone to the odd twinge every now and then.
My advice to anyone who gets more than the 'odd twinge' of anxiety is to get yourself a few hours booked in with a CBT councillor they help a lot, I know there's a stigma about such things but it affects so many more people than you'd think and that very stigma is what stops most people getting help.
Mate I'm sorry to hear about your dad and step dad. My mum died of cancer just over a year ago and my dad died about 4 years ago. My father in law passed Christmas day. Its hard. When I first started the firm, I think on about 4 or 5 occasions I made an excuse to go home because I got into a panic attack and told them it was the Mrs pregnancy that had to take her to hospital. Just went home to avoid the feeling of anxiety. Really didn't cope well with it all (the anxiety of work I mean). I've had CBT, hypnotherapy, counselling, psychoanalysis, was on anti depressants for about a year quite a few years back. My life has been a bit of a rollercoaster, as I'm sure most peoples are, but what doesn't kill you and all that. Nowadays I just try and live life day by day. If I get anxious I do my best to calm myself down, tell myself to relax, stop what I'm doing for a moment and take a minute to breathe. Sometimes it works, sometimes I panic. Just gotta do your best with what you got I guess.

The guy I shadowed on the firm when I started called me Mr Panic haha seriously I used to get anxious about changing a bloody toilet siphon lol but when I look back and see how far I've come I'm quite proud of myself for not letting my crap mental retardedness make me give up..

I still get nervous about cutting into pipes sometimes that I know I've drain and have no water in, I get pictures in my head of a scene like what it must of looked like with that fella who done the Emerson swap live

I still get nervous about cutting into pipes sometimes that I know I've drain and have no water in, I get pictures in my head of a scene like what it must of looked like with that fella who done the Emerson swap live
Haha sorry but this literally made me laugh out loud! Who did an snatch on an immersion? Are there people that brave? Or stupid? Lol I still get nervous when freezing pipes and cutting them, but I quite like the nerves on that one, I like the risk factor lol

everyones brain works different!
no one is normal, theres just a lot of people with the same syptoms. ;)

Mate I'm sorry to hear about your dad and step dad. My mum died of cancer just over a year ago and my dad died about 4 years ago. My father in law passed Christmas day. Its hard. When I first started the firm, I think on about 4 or 5 occasions I made an excuse to go home because I got into a panic attack and told them it was the Mrs pregnancy that had to take her to hospital. Just went home to avoid the feeling of anxiety. Really didn't cope well with it all (the anxiety of work I mean). I've had CBT, hypnotherapy, counselling, psychoanalysis, was on anti depressants for about a year quite a few years back. My life has been a bit of a rollercoaster, as I'm sure most peoples are, but what doesn't kill you and all that. Nowadays I just try and live life day by day. If I get anxious I do my best to calm myself down, tell myself to relax, stop what I'm doing for a moment and take a minute to breathe. Sometimes it works, sometimes I panic. Just gotta do your best with what you got I guess.

I feel for you mate if you're going through this at the moment. As I mentioned, for me it came on quite quickly and was only really bad for a few months. Once I got over the worst of it it ended up as a bad memory. I'd hate to be living with it day in day out.
What was your CBT councillor like? I actually had 2, the first one I binned off after 2 sessions, he was rubbish, was like being in the Monty Pythons argument clinic sketch for an hour. The second one I had was brilliant.

I get anxious before some jobs definitely, especially if its a customer I haven't worked for; I personally found a few things that helped with my anxiety.

Gain more knowledge to boost confidence.
I gave up smoking; It was hell to start with though.
I stopped drinking caffeine containing drinks like coffee or tea, they can trigger anxiety attacks; this one really helped me. Caffeine is the most commonly use psychoactive drug.

I get anxious all the time about jobs. I think most people do about some jobs.

I don't get it too bad unless it's a real problem job.

I can remember a job not too long back I went out and diagnosed a faulty fan, went back 2 days later with the fan and fitted it, still the same problem, after a few phone calls to Baxi I confirmed it was the pcb. I spent what felt like 20 minutes trying to work out what to say and worked myself up to the point I could hardly talk (I don't stutter but I can't get the words from my head to my mouth) so went out to find something in the van and spent 5 minutes composing myself then a couple of deep breathes and went for it. All that worry for nothing she was fine about it so got new pcb and put it in. It still didn't work so I put the new fan back in and away it went so then I started worrying about telling her it needed both until she walked round the corner and said ooh it's working.

I do find that for installs I over think things and keep changing my mind but I find a radio helps me for that, I work out what I'm doing in the morning make my plan then radio goes on and off I go.

I understand where you're coming from feller. I also think about some jobs too much and end up worrying about them and don't get any sleep over it. I think mine is to do with my past though. Too many sweeties of kinds when younger and it has made me paranoid as hell.

I always do the best job I can and double check I have done everything right but my mind tells me otherwise. The other day I had a voicemail and someone had actually called be by mistake. I could not hear what they were saying but it sounded like 'let's just get him to change the valve and see from there'. It was 7 minutes long and that's all I could hear. The rest was not clear. I thought it was Gas Safe setting me up for a secret inspection as maybe I had done some thing wrong. Although I go over all checks twice if not more. I listened to that message 7 times and to my dismay accidently deleted. So I tried calling the number and no one would answer. I was panicking all night and my wife was going nuts as I couldn't talk to her or concentrate on anything else.

And to be honest, I still am freaked out about it.

I sympathise with anyone brave enough to admit it, I know a few of my mates who, lets say, could do with a counsilling session or two
I don't think I'm the full shilling either as it happens, but I get by
If things start to rile me, I'll take the dogs up over the mountain for a few hrs or go to the pub for a couple of pints
Those 3/4 pints with your mates can make the world of difference, see things in a different light (don't get bladdered though)
My youngest daughter was very ill when she was about 18months, in intensive care and given a 50/50 chance (she has the heart of a lion now and is fine) If I start to feel hard done by, that thought brings me back on track
Not much help to anyone else I know, but does me

In one sense I'm glad I'm not alone but it's not something in glad about you guys suffering as well.

So I did the job today, I was given 3 hours to do this and it took me all day :/ weird as I was actually pretty calm apart from when I first got there and the custard is asking me straight away how I'm gonna run the pipework - nearly had a melt down in front of her. Here's some pics:

I need to start working on being quicker with pipework.

2c2603a90af7fe40c3f2ada164440572.jpg
9323d416a97e5505c605eb12b8d4c8c6.jpg
c1308c58395e43708c2807a94868abea.jpg
4e5a183832b13136db7fdb1b32418d9b.jpg
2042f9d05896e7f30ce8b4e66895c6f7.jpg
f45fd5b37be73415ad14e9cfd89535e7.jpg
7dd5d3307d61a340da3e78e662e34f73.jpg
ed21ec9ff4f8267e27c21ec3b24ef7de.jpg
49f89baa0e449711a1c3922203a3cc15.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mental Health Issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are on 15mm pipework, the rest are on 10mm. its powered by a Grundfos ups3 pump. the boiler is an 18kw heat only boiler. There are two radiators mainly...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm really here with the agenda of getting other peoples thoughts on charging deposits. To date I usually charge a third of my labour to hold a date for a customer. I've had no issues until recently where 2 of my prospective clients have tried to negotiate a lower deposit or change the...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi All, So something may be slightly different to the usual posts and looking for some advise or whether anyone has been in a similar predicament and how have you overcome it. I’m a wife of a heating engineer - who has recently started out full time (2 years ago self employed 15 years...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock