Search the forum,

Discuss Low pressure but where’s filling loop?? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all and thanks so much in advance for any advice! My boiler’s pressure is below 0.5 but I can’t see where the filling loop might be. In the photo below I though perhaps I should attach one to what look like valves on the two identical pipes on the left, but these both carry hot water so I guess that’s not it. Excuse the beginner’s ignorance but I’m trying to get a grip on the basics here to maybe avoid having to pay for a plumber (if I can even get one) at this time of year! Also including photos of the hotvwater tank. Last 2 photos show the pipes leading into a pump for showers, don’t think this has anything to do with boiler pressure but including them just in case. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• ABC4C653-35CB-4F7C-B483-A9A6BD8C64BF.jpeg
    ABC4C653-35CB-4F7C-B483-A9A6BD8C64BF.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 39
  • 864CBE47-C6B1-4A79-A0C7-7AAFA69EC9A7.jpeg
    864CBE47-C6B1-4A79-A0C7-7AAFA69EC9A7.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 39
  • 5B2D6612-8485-4F4D-A812-4AA2B1F1CA9C.jpeg
    5B2D6612-8485-4F4D-A812-4AA2B1F1CA9C.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 658E17AD-75AB-4F7E-B17D-4C336C92D59C.jpeg
    658E17AD-75AB-4F7E-B17D-4C336C92D59C.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 9BFB6E42-CB75-4C57-9484-232B87E0BAB5.jpeg
    9BFB6E42-CB75-4C57-9484-232B87E0BAB5.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 36
Hi all and thanks so much in advance for any advice! My boiler’s pressure is below 0.5 but I can’t see where the filling loop might be. In the photo below I though perhaps I should attach one to what look like valves on the two identical pipes on the left, but these both carry hot water so I guess that’s not it. Excuse the beginner’s ignorance but I’m trying to get a grip on the basics here to maybe avoid having to pay for a plumber (if I can even get one) at this time of year! Also including photos of the hotvwater tank. Last 2 photos show the pipes leading into a pump for showers, don’t think this has anything to do with boiler pressure but including them just in case. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Tell us what type and model of boiler and the set up. Then we will guide you to where and how to give your system a squirt. centralheatking

Tell us what type and model of boiler and the set up. Then we will guide you to where and how to give your system a squirt. centralheatking
Thanks for replying, it’s a Vokera Minute 35HE Gas boiler- does that help?
[automerge]1576499297[/automerge]
Thanks for replying, it’s a Vokera Minute 35HE Gas boiler- does that help?
It’s a system boiler by the way with hot water storage tank upstairs in the hot press

Last edited:
I can't see a filling loop in any of those pictures I'm afraid. You are looking for something that most likely looks like this - https://www.wolseley.co.uk/wcsstore...roof-pdp-w/std.lang.all/12/91/171291_wpdp.jpg
I just checked your boiler it does not have an internal filling set up. So hopefully somewhere you will find
two x shut off valves a bit like washing machine isolators , even with a shiny silver flexy connector.
Now normally they are close together and under your boiler, but you might find them in a utility cupboard...sometimes and often the loop is missing or lost ...so look around for what Stigster has put up...and report back...we will get you there ...centralheatking

Could it possibly be fed from a (the) tank in the attic with a NR valve, this would give the minimum required pressure of 0.5 bar if the boiler is on the ground floor, it should have its own dedicated tank for this but I think shortcuts (wrongly) are sometimes employed where it is taken from the cold water storage tank, if so then the NRV may be sticking.
It is often teed into the cylinder coil.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your comments, I’m learning a lot! I have searched everywhere but the attic without finding anything resembling a filling loop, but I’ll get up to the attic in a while (kids need feeding, multitasking here!) and will report back. This whole heating/plumbing system was installed about 10 years ago and has given countless problems, and every other plumber who’s visited has been bemused and unimpressed by the way the whole thing was set up - so I’m prepared for anything!

The thing is the flexi might mot be attached and you may have two isolation valves close to each other. Or one of them may be a dounle check valve which looks very similar. In other words the flexi might be hanging up waiting to to attach to the threaded ends of the two valves.

The thing is the flexi might mot be attached and you may have two isolation valves close to each other. Or one of them may be a dounle check valve which looks very similar. In other words the flexi might be hanging up waiting to to attach to the threaded ends of the two valves.
The flexi might not be in the house which is why people leave them attached so they dont get lost.
Water regulations permit the heating end of loops to remain attached when not in use.
D3172C95-AB94-4ABA-93E7-D0040C18BE4C.png

Some people have found them behind the Cornflakes box before now, other have been found in different cupboards and locations and as said the silver braided flexi may not be on show anywhere.

Could it possibly be fed from a (the) tank in the attic with a NR valve, this would give the minimum required pressure of 0.5 bar if the boiler is on the ground floor, it should have its own dedicated tank for this but I think shortcuts (wrongly) are sometimes employed where it is taken from the cold water storage tank, if so then the NRV may be sticking.
It is often teed into the cylinder coil.
Thank you all for your comments. I suspect what John.g. says might be the case. I’ve searched high and low in kitchen and utility and nothing. There’s no sign of a filling loop but I can’t even see anything that I could connect a loop to if I went out and bought it. In the attic I have 2 cold water tanks and nothing resembling a valve either, wonder what a NR valve looks like in case I don’t know how to recognise it. even if I find it, would i be able to fix it? Thanks again!
[automerge]1576580816[/automerge]
Thank you all for your comments. I suspect what John.g. says might be the case. I’ve searched high and low in kitchen and utility and nothing. There’s no sign of a filling loop but I can’t even see anything that I could connect a loop to if I went out and bought it. In the attic I have 2 cold water tanks and nothing resembling a valve either, wonder what a NR valve looks like in case I don’t know how to recognise it. even if I find it, would i be able to fix it? Thanks again!
Going back to the hot press, could this have something to do with it?

Attachments

• 0526E882-F2A2-44F7-9E79-FD909D0327E2.jpeg
    0526E882-F2A2-44F7-9E79-FD909D0327E2.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 16
  • F8EB1957-02B6-44CC-A1DD-CC73A00A43F3.jpeg
    F8EB1957-02B6-44CC-A1DD-CC73A00A43F3.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
[automerge]1576580816[/automerge]

Going back to the hot press, could this have something to do with it?
This is strange, you have two active water tanks in your loft ! go take a picture immediately please
we could all be barking up the wrong tree here. centralheatking

This is strange, you have two active water tanks in your loft ! go take a picture immediately please
we could all be barking up the wrong tree here. centralheatking

Exactly CHking.

I looked at pictures again. Initially I thought it was an unvented cylinder but on closer inspection it looks like it is but an open vented system?

Hope these help clarify things!

Attachments

• 3FAE7373-61CE-49C3-AE73-A11D1023F152.jpeg
    3FAE7373-61CE-49C3-AE73-A11D1023F152.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 690E6B69-5627-462A-811A-28C44AA996C2.jpeg
    690E6B69-5627-462A-811A-28C44AA996C2.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 4AA33D1E-AFF9-46C7-90C1-27DE9F89C0FC.jpeg
    4AA33D1E-AFF9-46C7-90C1-27DE9F89C0FC.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 183DD3B7-B760-41C8-BDF2-50176B5209A8.jpeg
    183DD3B7-B760-41C8-BDF2-50176B5209A8.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 12
What is the PRV for that's showing almost 0 pressure?.

It also seems strange to have a TPR valve in a vented cylinder.

If one of the tanks in the attic is much smaller than the othner then that would point to it being a Feed & expansion tank.
If so and a NR valve is fitted then it would be installed on a horizontal section of piping and will look like that attachment, If fitted vertically it will be a spring loaded poppet (and IMO should not be used).

Attachments

• Swing Check NRV.jpg
    Swing Check NRV.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Poppet Type NRV.jpg
    Poppet Type NRV.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

If one of the tanks in the attic is much smaller than the othner then that would point to it being a Feed & expansion tank.
If so and a NR valve is fitted then it would be installed on a horizontal section of piping and will look like that attachment, If fitted vertically it will be a spring loaded poppet (and IMO should not be used).
The tanks are identical but the one on the right Has a ball valve and seems to be fed by the mains, the one on the left has a pipe from overhead that drips into it - this pipe goes down behind the hot water storage tank in the hot press, maybe to downstairs where the boiler is but I can’t see.A3303450-99FF-4429-AEA4-069B4828AD78.jpeg2D4DAA1B-E510-4968-B8FF-924F3ED470EA.jpeg9A3C6A79-D117-437C-9CE4-CBB316BB2152.jpegA3303450-99FF-4429-AEA4-069B4828AD78.jpeg2D4DAA1B-E510-4968-B8FF-924F3ED470EA.jpeg9A3C6A79-D117-437C-9CE4-CBB316BB2152.jpeg
[automerge]1576593788[/automerge]

The PRV beside the hot press that’s showing almost zero pressure? Not sure what it’s doing there but the pressure rises slightly when the heating is on (the same as the pressure gauge on the boiler)

However I can’t see anything that looks like a swing or poppet valve near the cold water tanks - is that where I would find this?

Last edited:
Maybe should have asked, has the boiler pressure always read 0.5 bar?.

Maybe that's your filling Loop?, you may have a vented hot water cylinder and a unvented heating system? there is a black knob (v/v) on the back of the PRV, you might just see if this is shut, if it is just crack it open a touch to increase the pressure HERE to a a max of 0.3 bar, if it is the filling loop then the boiler pressure will/should increase by the same amount and due to the static head should read ~ 0.8 bar. You may find that the PRV is set to give o,25bar or so here so that (black) valve will be permanently open and the red isolating valve above it is also open so you have a auto fill PRV, I would just check out the status of any isolating valve around this PRV before adjusting anything though.

This is a very strange setup if I'm honest. As John says see if that tops it up and I agree if that gauge were to read 0.2-0.3 bar then the boiler gauge should read more due to the head, roughly 0.5 more at the boiler if its 5 metres below that gauge.

The heating was just been on for nearly an hour and the pressure on the gauges has risen to approx 0.5, it’s slightly higher on the boiler gauge which is approx 3 metres below the hot press one, but there wouldn’t be anywhere near 0.5 difference between them. I was told the pressure should register somewhere between the pencil lines on the boiler gauge. Boiler is off now, should I go ahead and try to open the PRV to increase pressure a bit?

Attachments

• EFFBBA1C-C64A-4C0F-B73D-8305883EE32F.jpeg
    EFFBBA1C-C64A-4C0F-B73D-8305883EE32F.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 14
  • FA740B4B-6071-4D6A-BF83-D0FB9258161D.jpeg
    FA740B4B-6071-4D6A-BF83-D0FB9258161D.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 16
When pressurising a combi/system boiler you need to allow for lift. I would say those pencil lines are a bit high. Let the system cool and then see if that does increase a little

Well, curiosity got the better of me and I decided to try turning the black knob anyway, but it was already a bit loose and nothing happened when I heard it, theres no water flowing through it. This pipe is cold above the PRV and gets steadily hotter as it approaches the hot water tank. What about the pipe beside itwith the red “tap” on it (technical term?!) ? As it goes down it turns in the direction of the boiler downstairs.
[automerge]1576598808[/automerge]
When pressurising a combi/system boiler you need to allow for lift. I would say those pencil lines are a bit high. Let the system cool and then see if that does increase a little
Thanks. System is cooling now and pressure has dropped to 0.2 again

Attachments

• 1014D4F0-F8FF-4033-8C4A-934E2F9CEEA5.jpeg
    1014D4F0-F8FF-4033-8C4A-934E2F9CEEA5.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 15
  • B0710EF0-9B35-4F50-BC18-3EA0B7557526.jpeg
    B0710EF0-9B35-4F50-BC18-3EA0B7557526.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 11
That pipe to right of the valve is 22mm and it's a gate valve, I'm presuming it's the cold fill to cylinder but it's hard to make out from the photos

Very strange and would be stranger again if the supply for that PRV was/is fed from one of the storage tanks and is acting like a NRV, unlikely but one never knows
I don’t think that PRV is fed from storage tank, don’t think there’s any water going through it, heat from the boiler seems to be rising up towards it but that’s all. This would be the normal expected function of it I guess?

Its relatively easy to check, with black valve open, adjust the pressure adjusting screw clockwise (directly opposite the black valve) and see if the pressure rises, if it does its mains fed, if not its from the tank and check your boiler again if it rises.
Are those two tanks the same Volume and is the level higher in one over the other.

Well, curiosity got the better of me and I decided to try turning the black knob anyway, but it was already a bit loose and nothing happened when I heard it, theres no water flowing through it. This pipe is cold above the PRV and gets steadily hotter as it approaches the hot water tank. What about the pipe beside itwith the red “tap” on it (technical term?!) ? As it goes down it turns in the direction of the boiler downstairs.
[automerge]1576598808[/automerge]

Thanks. System is cooling now and pressure has dropped to 0.2 again
Sorry guys, I’ve misled you here, it’s a bit of a maze but now I realise the pipe to the right with the gate valve is not going towards the boiler downstairs, it attaches to the cold water inlet of the shower pump. The narrower one on the left splits off into two pipes, one going into the hot water tank, the other splitting again into 2 pipes, one going to valves for upstairs and downstairs radiator and the other going downstairs in the direction of the boiler. Sorry for the confusion.

Reply to Low pressure but where’s filling loop?? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock