Discuss Loud ticking noise from copper pipes in room when heating on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ianot

Hi all,

when i turn the heating on the copper pipes (in ceiling area) in one of the bedrooms make a loud ticking noise in a few different areas and it doing my head in. I had a plumber round who said that installing an automatic air vent on the return pipe to boiler should solve the problem as he thinks there's air in the system and the pressure is too much. This doesn't sound like it will solve the problem to me but I'm no expert. I think it's the pipes expanding and knocking off the joists etc. any ideas.

Probably pipes laid direct in notches with no insulation. i always use a piece of hairy felt lagging where pipes cross joists.

you can pack the joist notches yourself without the need of a plumber. try it and see if it cures it

Yeah, this happens when the pipes are jammed against joists /boards, you could take a bit out of the joist so pipes have more room.

Hi all,

when i turn the heating on the copper pipes (in ceiling area) in one of the bedrooms make a loud ticking noise in a few different areas and it doing my head in. I had a plumber round who said that installing an automatic air vent on the return pipe to boiler should solve the problem as he thinks there's air in the system and the pressure is too much. This doesn't sound like it will solve the problem to me but I'm no expert. I think it's the pipes expanding and knocking off the joists etc. any ideas.

you had a plumber round who recommended an air vent on what sounds like an expansion /contraction problem

Anyone with an ounce of plumbing knowledge would edge as whats already been said above

You could try taking a few pipe clips off if they're on every joist, personally I try to keep the nail in clips to a minimum. Have seen a few problems with pipes ticking due to over clipping, other than that I'm with the lads above.

sounds like your 'plumber' is trying to create some work for themselves, like the others said get some boards up and wedge something underpipes pref abit of laggin if there's enough room, if not a few nail on clips should stop any movement, not a big job and I wouldn't pay anyone more than a standard call out charge if I was you.

sounds like your 'plumber' is trying to create some work for themselves, like the others said get some boards up and wedge something underpipes pref abit of laggin if there's enough room, if not a few nail on clips should stop any movement, not a big job and I wouldn't pay anyone more than a standard call out charge if I was you.

Dunno about not being a big job/standard call out charge as you have nt exactly seen how much stuff needs to be moved carpet up, chip board floor etc etc like others have said do it yourself if you can or uncover the pipes for someone else to felt wrap offfending pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loud ticking noise from copper pipes in room when heating on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock