Search the forum,

Discuss Loud knocking noise from inside wall in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

We’ve had a new boiler, hot water tank, pump, T-valve and thermostats fitted and are using the original radiators without zone valves (small house). The guy that fitted it says he’s too busy to come back and take a look at the problems.

If we run just the heating, after it reaches the set temperature and the boiler turns off, we hear a loud tapping noise coming from inside the wall from what I think is the return pipe to the boiler. This happens every time the boiler turns off and the pump overruns and it’s driving us crazy.

If we run just the hot water or heating and hot water together it doesn’t happen.

This new install has a bypass fitted and the old system didn’t have a bypass and just a basic pump.

The new hot water cylinder is a lot bigger than the old one but doesn’t seem to hold as much hot water. Unless we leave it on constantly, we run out of hot water much quicker than we did with the old system.

The new system:

Vaillant Ecotec plus 415

Grundfoss Alpha 2L

The noise could be pipework expanding/contracting rubbing against ceiling/joists etc. The pipes probably got moved slightly when connecting new boiler . If you can track down noise, just ease the hole slightly and put something between pipe /wood (cardboard shim will do it)

The noise could be pipework expanding/contracting rubbing against ceiling/joists etc. The pipes probably got moved slightly when connecting new boiler . If you can track down noise, just ease the hole slightly and put something between pipe /wood (cardboard shim will do it)
Any tips on how to track down the noise? I have a similar problem, driving me mad at night! Can't locate it, I feel like I will end up with holes all over the place before I find it. Got a stethoscope being delivered from Amazon but I don't know if that will help?

Any tips on how to track down the noise? I have a similar problem, driving me mad at night! Can't locate it, I feel like I will end up with holes all over the place before I find it. Got a stethoscope being delivered from Amazon but I don't know if that will help?
hello, did you have any luck? I am in the same situation, random knocking / banging noises sounding like pipes in the walls!

Reply to Loud knocking noise from inside wall in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Worcester Greenstar gas boiler circa 2017. There has been a noise coming from the boiler which resembles running water, I have checked the system pressure at 1.5bar and the relief valve but the noise persists unless a hot water tap in the house is opened then it stops for a period of...
Replies
Views
T
Hello, I have just moved in to a new flat this week and have a problem with noise coming from somewhere around the top of the boiler. It's a loud clicking/knocking sound that lasts about a minute, stops for 20-30 seconds and starts again. It seems to happen at night, starting in the evening...
Replies
Views
H
I need some help and advice with a boiler issue. We have F29 and then F29 appearing on our new boiler. This happened after few days where water was dripping from the condensation pipe. Our regular gas engineer(who installed the boiler) was not available and will be in a couple of days. The...
Replies
Views
Hi there, My boiler (Worcester Greenstar Ri) has started making a soft knocking noise when it turns on, and again a few times when it turns off. I've attached a short video of the sound. It isn't constant, it seems to happen within the first 10 mins of the boiler starting up, then you won't...
Replies
Views
In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate for the water used. The incoming water go via a pressure relief valve [most likely its this one: Heatrae Sadia 8 Bar Pressure Relief Valve -...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock