Discuss Loud Humming British Gas 300+ Boiler (& Dementia) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ElizabethAnn

Morning All,
I'm currently caring for Mum & Dad (both in their 80's with dementia) so I really don't need the added unhelpful input of their 300+ loud humming boiler... if it could give me words of advice on how to help them, that would be different :-O

I suppose it's when it's heating up. It's a very loud droning hum. I can temporarily stop it by reducing the temperature on the boiler. It was at 60. I dropped it to 57 and we had peace for a few minutes. Then it started up again. I've now reduced it to 53 and in the time it has taken me to find this site, register and post it has not yet started up...

Last time the engineer was here, my sister mentioned it to him but of course it wasn’t actually making the noise (presumably because it was up to temperature) He just shrugged his shoulders and said “it happens”). Not sure that I believe that….

It certainly adds to poor Mum & Dad’s confusion, as in their dementia world all strange noises are to be feared
L

I’m presuming that by turning the temperature setting down I’ve just stopped the boiler from trying to heat up too quickly, but not really sure….

Any help orguidance would be most welcome…

Many thanks, Elizabeth (not an engineer!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be one of the moving parts in the boiler, if in a hard water area maybe build up of scale in boiler, could even be the type of wall its fixed to , was it British Gas that came out to the boiler, if so get them back, but make sure Boiler/system is cold so that boiler is making the noise when they turn it on

Welcome to the forum Elizabeth, when was the last time an engineer was there and would you say the noise is getting worse? Also if you post your postcode we may have an experienced engineer amongst us local to you willing to take a look.

Many thanks jtsplumbing & rpm for super fast responses :)

Mum & Dad's post code is NE46 3BJ. The British Gas engineer came in June this year for the annual service...

We don't think the noise is getting any worse - but it is pretty loud whilst heating up - then it stops.

As I hit send on my first message, it started up again... I've now got it at 50 and it's stopped again...

I know the correct thing to do is to call them out again... was just hoping that I could try and understand what the problem is so that we can't be fobbed off again...

Many thanks for the help so far - very much appreciated :)

Elizabeth

I`m not gsr but think it needs an ears & eyes on approach. There is an "I`m looking for a plumber or ...." section within the forum where you can post and somebody can respond via a personal message.

Thanks rpm, but M&D are all ready paying BG for a service plan, so we'll need to call them out again...

I was just hoping that as the engineer said "it happens" someone else had come across the problem and had some words of wisdom...

Great web site - same set up as the Alzheimer Society Talking Point Forum. So if anyone reads this thread because of the "dementia" in the title, Talking Point is just as easy to use and has a similar quick response to any questions on dementia...

Elizabeth

This seem like a scale problem, known as kettleing, ( sounds like a kettle when heating up) when it reaches temperature it goes quiet , not sure where NE post code is but hard water areas cause this problem,

The only reason you were fobbed off was that you couldn't replicate the fault and an engineer isn't going to hang around waiting for the system to cool down so just make sure you can repeat the symptoms during their next visit.

If you understand the control system and can turn it off a few hours before the engineers appointment then do so if not turn the lot off and pick a warm day before the weather really turns and for back up I'd video record the boiler making noise on my mobile.

Last edited:
Whoever looks at it next needs to investigate the flueways, that's where the problem is.

It happens, is not a satisfactory answer, it doesn't happen when boilers are new.

It happens for a reason and there is a cure for it, is the answer.

Last edited:
hmmm... NE is Northumberland - and I wouldn't say that the water was particularly hard... but I'm no expert.

Wouldn't/Shouldn't the engineer have picked up on this in June 2015 when he did the service ?

Thanks for the pointer though :)

Elizabeth

Guess I can understand that - will make sure it's off and cold when we call them back...

Many thanks Elizabeth

Good point - it can be heard from outside....

Many thanks Elizabeth

You said it yourself in an earlier post, it wasn't making a noise when the system was last serviced so the engineer doesn't have anything to go on other than your description of the fault and respectfully it could be a number of things as this thread will demonstrate.

Thanks rpm, but M&D are all ready paying BG for a service plan,
Elizabeth

In that case yes call them out again and ask for a different engineer as you were not impressed last time.

Word to the wise re BG service plan ....
Once their laptop say`s Part not available then that's it as far as they are concerned but local indie engineers know better and they will insist on a system powerflush first before fitting a new boiler at £*** where again a local indie engineer will charge less. Have a look around the forum if you doubt me.

Is this a re-badged Worcester boiler ?? Boiler make could help with what the problem is !

Is this a re-badged Worcester boiler ?? Boiler make could help with what the problem is !

No, it was new from BG. All it says on the front is British Gas 300+

now found the last service sheet - it was July 2015 (not June)

Eilzabeth

No, it was new from BG. All it says on the front is British Gas 300+

now found the last service sheet

I'd try getting British gas beck out first and see what they say,

If your not happy with what they say find a local reputable gas engineer a d get a second opinion

No brainer elizabeth, get them back, as far as I know you are in a hardwater area, but theres loads of things that could cause a noise

If someone here knew what was wrong and was to tell you, you wouldnt be able to fix it yourself so you need an engineer in realy its unfortunate but its the only way.

Sounds like a faulty pump or pump capacitor to me.

If it's a recent problem, then system design is out of the question.

Call BG back and tell them you have a faulty pump.
If the service engineer tells you the pump is working, then ask him to test the capacitance of the capacitor.
If he looks at you strange... the tell him to change the pump.

Document events:- Date,time, temp. noise ,duration, visits, engineer's comments. A contemporaneous record will assist in getting BG to meet obligations of service plan.

Could be flue ! flexicom did have a problem with whistling but mainly on vertical flues. simple fix if that's the fault, But get them back , and please make sure that boiler and system is cold when they call, also make sure someone else is there so they don't try to fob you off with an expensive power flush.

Thank you so much for all the replies and advice...

I'll be on to them first thing tomorrow and will start keeping records (as of this morning)

Many thanks. Elizabeth.

Hi JTS plumbing. The flue hood on my BG 330+ boiler has started to vibrate when it fires up. This vibration then beats causing a sort of whooping noise. Is there a simple fix for this. By the way, I have just had the boiler serviced and it is otherwise working OK. Just the noise problem.

What you have is a boiler made by Saunier Duval, made by glow-worm Now part of the Vaillant group. Best to ring Glow-Worm & have a word with them , May pay to get them out on fixed price repair if BG cant sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loud Humming British Gas 300+ Boiler (& Dementia) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock