Search the forum,

Discuss log burner / gas ppe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Cant find the answer to this anywhere, can anybody help
Pal of mine just bought a new house a few weeks ago. It has a logburner already fitted, but since moving in he has seen a old capped off gas pipe underneath it. (50 mm away).
We are assuming its 'live'.I obviously want to remove it, anybody know the crack if he can leave it.
Cheers

???
is it soldered?
if its left there, would be better with compression stop end.

where does it come in from?
can it be cut back there?

check the log burners instructions for clearances. most are designed to keep the area underneath below a certain temp to enable them to be fitted on thin non constructional hearths/fire places, many you can even store logs underneath.

if they are never going to use the gas supply then cap it away from the appliance for peace of mind.

Yeh pull up floor , probably loose board to side of chimney where pump / pipe work once lived. Chop and cap gas. Dead legs on gas should be cut back as far as possible .

I should be going over next week, not actually seen it yet. He thinks its a soldered stop end. Meter is to the right of the fire paneled in under a window, to the left is the kitchen with hob and boiler, so it looks like the fire supply is tee'd off the pipe supplying the hob and boiler.He has inherited the fire with the house and says there are no mi's with it. Oh and just to make it even harder there is a solid oak floor covering everything apart from the hearth.
'A can of worms' me thinks

I had this on a job where the stove installer had me in to remove old gas fire, concrete floors and hearth not being removed!
Caped supply off and got the stove installer to build a "fire proof box" to cover it, only the cap above floor lever so box was only visible if you looked for it, they made it up from the same stuff they used for register plates. "asbesterlux" or what ever its called!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to log burner / gas ppe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It required a drain and refill of the system, and as he left, he advised my I would need to bleed all the radiators, at some point, given a few days, when...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A gardener/landscaping friend of mine is going to install an irrigation system in a customer's garden. He asked me to pop around and measure the pressures and flowrates...
Replies
Views
I have bought a property and this has a boiler and an immersion heater with a pump. If electric heater is off the boiler should heat the water as well. I have reinstated the water pressure as the old vendor has drained the whole system. As long as I had these airlocks the boiler was complaining...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have an issue with my Ideal Logic+ System S24 boiler which I hope someone can help with. Below is as much detail as I can think of. The boiler has been running constantly (cycling?) 24/7 for the last few days, during the recent very cold snap and since. HW and C/H are running fine, as per...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock