Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Leaking push fit fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

riksony

registered plumber
I have just pressure tested a system of pex pipe and push fit fittings to 6 bar air test. I soon found air escaping slowly from some of the fittings. I changed over to a water test and it shows no leaks, how is this.

Because an air test is somthing like 4x the pressure (or something like that) of water so you where testing at 24 bar etc

Pressure is force/area the medium does not affect the applied pressure at static ambient, 6 bar is 6 bar be it beans or gravy.
I cannot explain why you have air leaks but not water leaks

Is the pex pipe barrier pipe?

If not then the ingress of air may be possible therefore the expelling of air is also possible.

There is a document somewhere explaining the sciences behind this but I can't find it at the minute!

Some of the more technically minded heating engineers may be able to explain it better than I have done!

air testing is dangerous and should be avoided. Test with water following the manufacturers guidelines normall between 10-18bar for a set period of 15mins to 1hour. some require a test at around 5 bar also.

as for the leaks its prob down to air being compressable and smaller than water.

Pressure is force/area the medium does not affect the applied pressure at static ambient, 6 bar is 6 bar be it beans or gravy.
I cannot explain why you have air leaks but not water leaks

think you need to read up on your regs mate

think you need to read up on your regs mate

I'm with quality on this - 6 bar pressure is 6 bar pressure, irrespective of the medium. Not sure what the regs have to do with it, it's basic physics.

I'm happy to be corrected so please explain (and link to the regs you refer to would be good as well!) :)

I'm with quality on this - 6 bar pressure is 6 bar pressure, irrespective of the medium. Not sure what the regs have to do with it, it's basic physics.

I'm happy to be corrected so please explain (and link to the regs you refer to would be good as well!) :)

[DLMURL]http://copperplumbing.org.uk/sites/default/files/content_attachments/pressure-testing-piping-systems.pdf[/DLMURL]

first para

and its the volume that hurts

well ok your half right you can air test upto 0.50 bar thats it

Last edited by a moderator:
6 bar air test has more energy than 6 bar water test. But they are still 6 bar each

yea but what happens if the pipework rips apart it wont be 6 bar coming out at the first sec tho will it

are you sure the joints were leaking or was the compressed air just cooling a bit and hence causing a pressure drop, hence why you have to continually pump for part of an air test!

No, because there is more energy in the pressurising with air as said. But 6 bar will always be 6 bar.

No, because there is more energy in the pressurising with air as said. But 6 bar will always be 6 bar.

not when its sprung a leak tho which is the most dangerous part of an air test, and thats why you can only test upto .5 of a bar

hydraulic testing can be dangerous as well. If your gauge jams at zero and you keep pumping away, when your then see the needle is stuck and you tap the gauge and it wangs upto 12 bar, you think oooh eeer and wonder about letting off the valve a bit to bring it back too 4.5 bar. BUT, and its a big BUT, by the time you have pondered the best thing to do, the JG end cap on the bathroom rad pipe has already failed and is flying across the room towards your lovely wifes' bum. Her resultant scream from the initial pain soon subsides though, as the torrent of water following the recalcitrant cap, soon cools that nasty bruise developing on her backside. Takes longer for her to believe that you never planned this whole episode :):):). Memories of an earlier time in my plumbing life, so great to look back on :):):)

hydraulic testing can be dangerous as well. If your gauge jams at zero and you keep pumping away, when your then see the needle is stuck and you tap the gauge and it wangs upto 12 bar, you think oooh eeer and wonder about letting off the valve a bit to bring it back too 4.5 bar. BUT, and its a big BUT, by the time you have pondered the best thing to do, the JG end cap on the bathroom rad pipe has already failed and is flying across the room towards your lovely wifes' bum. Her resultant scream from the initial pain soon subsides though, as the torrent of water following the recalcitrant cap, soon cools that nasty bruise developing on her backside. Takes longer for her to believe that you never planned this whole episode :):):). Memories of an earlier time in my plumbing life, so great to look back on :):):)

sounds like you have experience :D

I pictured that as a scene from a "Carry On Plumbing" film, or an episode of Benny Hill... :D

6 bar air test has more energy than 6 bar water test. But they are still 6 bar each

Exactly. Both 6 bar but as air is compressible, it has more latent energy for a given pressure and volume. And will be warmer due to compression which could explain the pressure drop...

Leaks air but not water because of the difference in density.

Get a bottle of coke and give it a good shake. Leave it.long enough (months) when you open it it will be flat but still contain liquid. The gas has escaped though.

Thisnis why gas pipe isnt plastic.....

I once did an air test fella on a fully installed plastic system, I hadn't done the install but was asked to pressure test and confirm whether it was ok. I had an air leak on the system and after isolating various parts of the system and adding cap ends I finally got to the fault and found it was inside a pushfit tee, the installer had started to cut into the pipe and obviously decided to move along a couple of mm, he'd already cut enough way through though to cause a very tiny split which I'm not saying yours is the same, but being inside the fitting just wondering if water would take the easiest route and flow through the fitting.

Different plastics have different pore sizes and thus allow different sized gases through

I used to make hydraulic hoses some years back. Once I had a hose I was testing blow at just over 950bar (14k psi). It put a dent in the inch thick steel on the side of the tester and made a noise so loud my ears rang for about 3 days.

Just thought i'd put that out there.

thanks for the feed back, I must explain the air was leaking out of the collar of the fittings, when I spayed them with leak detector they bubbled like crazy. I changed over to a water test and the same fittings stayed dry.

I think that as described in the air test procedures, you have gone way over pressure in this medium (plastic pipe/fitting + air). I think that the air molecules are just able to slip by the seals whereas water does not.

Thanks Stigster, I feel you could be right, its still holding water test of 4 bar so I think I will leave things alone now.

Thanks Stigster, I feel you could be right, its still holding water test of 4 bar so I think I will leave things alone now.

8 bar the water test should be

With Irish pex the makers ask for 6 bar for 1 hr and 3 bar for 15 mins, working pressure from there on. I did this with water after the air leaks and put it up to 4 bar and it has held since. Do you think I should put up the pressure

With Irish pex the makers ask for 6 bar for 1 hr and 3 bar for 15 mins, working pressure from there on. I did this with water after the air leaks and put it up to 4 bar and it has held since. Do you think I should put up the pressure

yes 1.5x your incoming pressure

Air test ,very temperature sensitive , and has poor heat removal/equalize ability .
(But leaks easier to clean up - so long as don't get Shot in the bum )

I remember a guy i work with hydraulic tested to 50 bar comp fittings blowing off all over lol .

Back in my early days first fixing newbuild totally in plastic (polypipe or osma pushfit) we used to take the rothenberger tester up to 18bar for an hour, if something was gonna go it usually went about 12 and it went good and proper. Used to bring a change of clothes on a Friday with four or five first fixes to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking push fit fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock