Discuss Leak in screed floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fredzefisher

Good evening. I have a leak in my CH pipes which are laid in a concrete screed. This is the third time in as many years and it is obvious the installation was faulty. I have exposed a section of pipe before the leak and want to know if I can just join the flow and return pipes together as a temporary measure so that at least I can have heating upstairs while I figure out what to do. Will this affect the boiler operation as the thermostat is downstairs and will obviosusly not kick in?

Also, I am thinking the only way to sort the problem is to dig a channel in the screed to each rad and lay new pipework in a conduit. Does this sound feasible, cost effective or can anyone suggest a better alternative..
Many thanks

Thanks Pete for the reply. Unfortunately I think the pipework will need to go in the floor - the house is one room wide by 5 rooms long so fireplaces/doors will be a problem. I have heard there is a skirting board with integrated pipes which takes out the need for radiators but know nothing about it. This would probably be the only other acceptable solution.

Cap the flow/return pipes, if you link them together the pump will most likely by pass the rads and just run around that loop.

Brilliant ch4 - many thanks- just the info I needed.... any advice on how to avoid flooding the house whilst cutting the pipes? I will drain the system down from the lowest outlet valve on a rad but obviously there will be 45metrs of 22mm pipe full below this level which will empty as soon as I have cut into the pipes.. or is it just a case of having as many towels on hand as possible

Thanks
Fred

So can you not put new drop supplies to each rad from upstairs ? Skirting heating not very good unless you plan to run it around all the walls and quite expensive

Thanks JTS
Possible, but chasing in 8 rads in different rooms ( would want to avoid exposed pipework or boxing in)... won't that be more expensive than cutting a channel in the screed

Channelling the floor is ok but makes hell of as mess/dust, do you intend boxing pipework in floor for future access, you can get floor channelling to do that I take it existing pipes are just plain copper in screed ?

Many thanks for the reply
Yes, channelling in floor I reckon is the best option. Wary about the dust... Access hopefully is not important as half the floor is wood flooring and the rest is carpet.
Pipes are now cut and capped so hopefully I will have heating upstairs. Original pipes are coated copper in the base under screed. I am just going to leave them in and box the new pipe work in the screed. Trouble is one rad is through a kitchen ( under stone flags) so I think either I forget that one or chase down from the rad above.
when you say you can get floor channelling... What does this involve. I am under the impression I will have to cut a channel into the screed and drop a conduit in. Does this sound about right?

On refurb I have got the carpenters to make a boxing out of ply. Then put that in the screed, then lay the pipes in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak in screed floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Bungalow built in 2001. All copper pipework (water and heating) runs in channels of expanded foam polystyrene between a concrete floor and OSB...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I’m currently in the process of refurbing my house, and have opted to wet UFH for the whole of the downstairs. The upstairs will be...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock