Discuss Just a quick question..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

becky4

we have just had a new bayonet fitting fitted as my landlord had some one out to fit new boiler and detected a leak in our gas cooker and he removed the old bayonet fitting and capped the pipe off at the wall.
we had to have a new bayonet fitting fitted soo the manafactuer of the leaky cooker could check it.
is this the landlords responibility too pay for it ?
it's cost us 70 quid :( (just wondering as the pipe will be staying in the house if we were too move out)

i dunno if this is the right place too ask but thanks in advance :)

I have worked for many landlords and I would be suprised if they would pay for this. They don't have a responsibility to provide a cooker (gas or electric) if a tenant wants a cooker fitted then they would have to pay. You can get the pipewrok capped when you leave and take it with you if you wanted

Well the situation was an ID (Immediately Dangerous) because gas was leaking meaning the plumber was correct to remove the bayonet fitting and cap off. If the cooker is yours and not the landlords then I guess you have to pick up the bill as the bayonet would never have had to be removed if the cooker wasn't faulty. Annoying for you as you have had to pay for something that was there and in fine working order to be re-installed!

hi becky4 i do alot of gas safety checks for landlords and when the gas cooker belongs to the tenant he is not responsable for the cooker only the gas supply if i had disconected gas cooker to do tightness test and found leak at bayonet fitting i would have pluged gas supply and it would be up to you to have it refitted again sorry but thats how it works

i would disagree the bayonet on the wall is the landlords responsibility as its part of the pipework if the cooker was was leaking and when removed the bayonet leaked than landlord ,its his pipework.-its like saying the house has electricity but not sockets for appliances.

ant

i would disagree the bayonet on the wall is the landlords responsibility as its part of the pipework if the cooker was was leaking and when removed the bayonet leaked than landlord ,its his pipework.-its like saying the house has electricity but not sockets for appliances.

ant

it depends on the actual terms of the tenancy agreement, so it isnt too easy for us to decide whether is should be fixed or not, if the bayonet was there when the tenant moved in then it belongs to the landlord, but again doesnt mean they have to replace it,

Just as an example, when I worked for a large South-Eastern heating company, the bayonet was considered part of the gas carcass and therefore the responsibility of the landlord. This was applicable to councils, housing associations and private landlords.

i am a landlord and i treat the bayonet as my responsability but the cooker and hose the tennant i think it is common sense really if the landlord provided the connection point then its his if the tennant had it installed its theres i think that is the best way to look at it

The bayonet which was in perfect working orde was only removed in order to cap the pipe because of a gas leak on the cooker which the tenant owned, therefore it's the tenants responsibility to pay to put a bayonet back as it was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Just a quick question..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock