Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Jointing compound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyespy999

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi, planning to replace bath taps. I am looking to also replace the fibre washers in the old tap connectors however is it best practice to use some jointing compound? I understand jet blue is used on compression fittings but wondered if anything else is considered?

many thanks

Yes, you could use a little smear of V Lube, I think it's called, which is similar to Jet Blue, on both sides of the fibre washer. It also helps keep the washer in place.
It is possible to get identical sized washers made of a "rubber", which are for some plastic tap fittings designed for flat washers.

Last edited:
Hi, planning to replace bath taps. I am looking to also replace the fibre washers in the old tap connectors however is it best practice to use some jointing compound? I understand jet blue is used on compression fittings but wondered if anything else is considered?

many thanks

I use a Jet Blue type compound on fibre washers with tap conns no problem, you may be overthinking things though, but that's not a bad thing.

No Nonsense Gas & Water Jointing Compound 300g | Sealers & Compounds | NoLinkingToThis

No idea how good this is, but it is for potable water and similar tub to Jet Lube

I use a smear of paste on both sides of the washer
Any paste suitable for potable water will be fine

Personally I have never used compounds or pastes on washers of any kind. Bit like putting ptfe on olives, I've never felt the need to do that either unless it's a last resort.

never use any of them pastes and stuff never had a leak yet do your compression right, and you should have no problems .

Two bits of metal squashed together doesn't mean they will be a perfect seal.
Slight corrosion - white or green at a joint, or seized nuts, is microscopic leaks.
And these cheap compression fittings nowadays aren't great quality.
Paste acts as a fine sealant and improves the joint. Also lubricates it for tightening - no squealing & very noticeably less resistance when tightening.
But it is whatever you are used to.

Fibre washers should be fine on there own with no paste the idea is that they swell when wet,but each to there own.

really, how come I can use an olive on a comp joint for a diesel injector system working at around 6000psi+ and not need any jointing compound ? :)

That's because you are wonderful! :smile:
Truthfully, it no doubt depends on the pipe the olive is compressing onto and the olive quality also. But water certainly has a tendency to eventually pass very slightly on compression fittings, especially after some time on hot pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Jointing compound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to be fitting a tap like this one: And just wanted to check that this is the correct part for connecting to 15mm copper pipe...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked...
Replies
Views
Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer...
Replies
Views
Last summer I used one of those kits to fit an external tap , all went well , still good , its one of those flexi pipe , self cutting tap jobs ...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock