Discuss Jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Flaming hell another job lost to i can do it all builder seem to be on a right spell of this !!!

i used to get loads of work on extensions extra rads and a kitchen carcase now i dont even get a look in as the builder does it all in speed fit

Another day of council work tomorrow keeping the ever thankful and great unwashed warm... See it could be worse hammers!:D

The trouble is everyone thinks they can do a little bit of everything and theres so many people out there without insurance or overheads to pay and dont pay the tax which pushes the legitimate guys like us out of the picture

Our local screwfix down here is full of i can everything mob buying boilers and basins plus sockets etc shocking in fairness

The amount of times I here it from customers and builders or other trades. Oh I could do it blah blah blah.

Definitely needs a shift in the zeitgeist.

I keep harking back to Ray's idea that boilers can't be commissioned or reset after certain faults without inserting a current gsr card.

Our local screwfix down here is full of i can everything mob buying boilers and basins plus sockets etc shocking in fairness

My favoutie thing to do when im in screwfix or B&q when someone asks are you a plumber, or if one of the staff who recognize me points a customer in my direction when one of them is trying to do something themselves is tell them what they need, but not in the simplest way or just tell them they need something completely random

Definitely needs a shift in the zeitgeist.

I keep harking back to Ray's idea that boilers can't be commissioned or reset after certain faults without inserting a current gsr card.

All gas apliances should have a ******* size gas connection, say 23.5mm or something.
The fittings could only be sold to gsr,s, the connection fittings would have serial numbers. Which lead directly to the installer, who has to register where each one was fitted.

Genius I know.

All gas apliances should have a ******* size gas connection, say 23.5mm or something.
The fittings could only be sold to gsr,s, the connection fittings would have serial numbers. Which lead directly to the installer, who has to register where each one was fitted

Genius I know.

More paperwork! Noooooooooooooooo

The fittings could only be sold to gsr,s, the connection fittings would have serial numbers. Which lead directly to the installer, who has to register where each one was fitted.

Genius I know.

You're assuming that everyone's registering. They ain't. All it would need is a sticky fingered council installer to start flogging the magic fittings by the bag on ebay for a vast sum..... Hmmmm I'm liking this idea Leo!

You're assuming that everyone's registering. They ain't. All it would need is a sticky fingered council installer to start flogging the magic fittings by the bag on ebay for a vast sum..... Hmmmm I'm liking this idea Leo!

That's the beauty of it, every one is accounted for as its issued.

Something needs to change tho as it stands and how it don't work know is a joke.the likes of screwfix etc have turned it into a free for all.

Genius I know.

Nice idea but they would be copied and on ebay within a week.

As above, someone would start making copies of the fittings after no time, I think rays idea of using the gas card to start the boiler up is the best, that or a GSR person has to give their details upon purchase and that boiler is then registered to them and their responsibility

Or they should make it where you have to be gas safe registered to buy anything gas related.

Card reading boiler guts sound expensive to me, manufacturers won't like it as they will either raise price and sell less or swallow the costs and make less.

We don't need any of these really. What we need is to be more like the Far East, and remove a hand every time they're caught messing with gas and or apliances.

Vote for Leo.

Or they should make it where you have to be gas safe registered to buy anything gas related.

All this as been looked at in the past when CORGI were running gas registration , all they could come up with is it would be classed as restrictive practice and that is not allowed, think that the DIY outlets complained about it as well, nothing can be done about stopping what is going on , it boils down to customer wanting everything done on the cheep, most don't care who does the job and its becoming more frequent , I've just spent out again to do CCN1 beginning to wonder if it was worth the time & money, only people who seem to care if we are registered is G/Safe and that seems all to do with them making money of us

My favoutie thing to do when im in screwfix or B&q when someone asks are you a plumber, or if one of the staff who recognize me points a customer in my direction when one of them is trying to do something themselves is tell them what they need, but not in the simplest way or just tell them they need something completely random

Please don't take offence: Plumben or anyone.

Then you have sites like this that give have Plumbers giving out free and skilled advice to DIY'ers. including how to rectify and remedy problems that are encountered when doing DIY installation.

Look at the posts and questions by 'Gungaabayar' - self declared DIY'er.

What's more astounding is the answers given by plumbers to help him out.
He states that he is worried about costs - so what, so is everyone.

But at the end of the day, he is asking trade specific questions on how to do things.
The things he is asking, and getting answers for, are things that plumbers have experienced and remedied throughout their own experiences. - And they're giving the solutions to this person for nothing.

He stuffed something up and called a plumber in to help him solve it - maybe no one here was online at the time.

Some random plumber not on this site got some dough - I bet he's happy

Once again - no offence to anyone.
Names and posts only used for examples

Very true ^^^

I made a thread about that other week about how its coming more common on here for people to ask more in depth questions about hope to do this or that .

Just call a plumber !!!!!

Got a mechanic friend who always gets accosted for repair questions on cars he just says now bring it down the garage and we will have a look .

Bet most don't

or you can say it could need a new hex as an answer to every issue :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock