Discuss Ive sold my soul in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Thats it have turned to the dark side i have sold my soul !!!

I am transferring to worcester as high end boiler of choice.

If you can't beat them then join them!!

Wash your mouth out and say three hail Mary's :)

If that's what you are finding the custs asking for then it makes sense to do it. Even though I wouldn't pee on Worcester even if they were on fire :)

I'm the same, if rather not fit them but everyone thinks of Worcester as the top boiler. If that's what they want then that's what they can have :)

What's brought this on?!

Just an easier sell mate have tried pushing inter gas ,vaillant ,baxi etc but the market in this country demands worcester.
I forever hear my mate John has a worcester and he says its the best so i want one.
I have also noticed people are happy to pay a bit more for the worcester as they believe they are buying some type of rolls royce in the gas world.

Besides the backup they have is faultless so can't beat them join them.

Are their filters still the same? The were a huge black lump of plastic a couple of years back. Looked hideous but gave a longer warranty.

Suppose you'll be using lsx as a superior jointing compound next.

It's a tough one you want to offer the best but the marketing campaign is against you, if you don't you loose too much business.

Im sure Worcester and Donald Trump have the same campaign manager

their back up may be good, but I prefer not to have to use it, and intergas have given me better service than any other brand to date, even if the back up when needed is a bit slower than wb

Worcester Bosch name sounds so posh.
Also people like the German Bosch connection.
Thirdly, Worcester advertise and market their name very well

Worcester Bosch name sounds so posh.
Also people like the German Bosch connection.
Thirdly, Worcester advertise and market their name very well

Thats just it i reckon i have probably lost work trying to push a preferred manufacturer

They have between 30% and 33% market share.

That figure has remained constant for nearly 2 decades. Predictions of change have come and gone, but Worcester still sell half a million boilers every year.

If you have enough work that you can ignore 1/3rd of the market, then thats great.

Otherwise, you have to live with the facts as they are, not how you or I think they should be.

I have thought about it but I can't compete with the warranty that others around offer.

I have tried to push intergas a few times.
I have never had anyone who wants one.
Bosch is a strong brand so WB benefits from that what i recognise - but I don't fit them but have took a few out and fitted other big 3 brands.
I think people can be pursuaded to a point - but with relatively unheard of brands - however excellent you can be fighting the tide and unless you also throw a usual protagonist in the mix at quote time - you will lose out.

I've got one to fit this week, I was trying to push Baxi or Ideal as Worcs and Vaillant are (in my opinion) out pricing themselves
But the custard had been on the Which? site and wanted a Worcester, so that's what's she's having
Customer's always right and all that

I have thought about it but I can't compete with the warranty that others around offer.

You get a standard 7 year warranty if you fit a filter , from what i see i doubt any manufacturer will honour longer warranties if not serviced correctly.

You get a standard 7 year warranty if you fit a filter , from what i see i doubt any manufacturer will honour longer warranties if not serviced correctly.

I spoke to Worcester about a 38cdi Classic combi and was told 5 years, another 1 year if you fit there filter and another if you installed a wave.

There are companies around me that offer 9 years warranty though. Because they fit so many. So I can't compete with that.

I spoke to Worcester about a 38cdi Classic combi and was told 5 years, another 1 year if you fit there filter and another if you installed a wave.

There are companies around me that offer 9 years warranty though. Because they fit so many. So I can't compete with that.

Speak to your rep they will give you 7 if you fit the filter.

Is that with wave?

yea or one of there controls (comfort)

stock with no approved installer

For a 6 year guarantee, simply install:
Any Greenstar gas boiler Greenstar System Filter

For a 7 year guarantee, install a:
Greenstar Si Compact or any Greenstar CDi boiler
Greenstar System Filter Wave, Greenstar Comfort RF control

tbh dont see why it needs to be there filter and not a magnaclean as there built by the same company (i think, well the old ones were and think they kept with the same)

I spoke to them and the valves are different than the magnaclean just need adaptors tho if you use a magnacleanse

I spoke to them and the valves are different than the magnaclean just need adaptors tho if you use a magnacleanse

just dont fit one as i like the adey version better :D

Its got to the point I don't even bother pushing any make of boiler, ask the customer what there preference is ! have they looked at any other makes ? where did they get the information , there money they can have what they want, if it goes wrong well it was there choice, cant blame me for that !!!!!!!!!!!

I dont seem to get customers quibbling about intergas, just tell them I know the boiler, its reliable, I have a cute trust me face and its that easy. If they buy their own boiler, not my problem, if they insist on another make I point out the warranty won't be as good as intergas imho and normally get my own way. Only seem to lose quotes to customers that want cheap cheap boilers with no frills install done in 3 hours.

I dont seem to get customers quibbling about intergas, just tell them I know the boiler, its reliable, I have a cute trust me face and its that easy. If they buy their own boiler, not my problem, if they insist on another make I point out the warranty won't be as good as intergas imho and normally get my own way. Only seem to lose quotes to customers that want cheap cheap boilers with no frills install done in 3 hours.

i find the problem with intergas is no one has heard of them round me

and spare parts as theres non installed in my area

I throw it in the mix but logically it makes no difference to do so.

Imho

1. I dont make a penny more fitting an intergas
2. The backup cannot be as good as the big 3
3. The warrantys add nothing over what others are offering
4. Not many have heard of them so dont care about the selling points
5. People stick to what theyve heard of and like the security of a household name
6. Meant to be reliable but ask an owner in 6 years time (if they are still trading in UK)

Last edited by a moderator:
i tried switching to Worcester but it lasted a month. and i went back to offering Ideals as my no.1 for my main choice of boiler.
The main thing that annoys me with Worcester is all the hoops you have to jump through to get the extra warranty which adds a fair amount to the price of the overall install.
Worcester attitude being what can you do for us when it should be what they can do for me.
Also the rep was a total bell end.

10 year warranty on the ideal vogue is an easy sell and i can fit my own controls and filter.
plus the rewards for me on installerconnect are pretty good.
im not in cloud cuckoo land like some Worcester installers to think ideals are cut above all other boilers but it works for me and with them being manufactured in Yorkshire thats make it a good selling point.

i dont dislike worcester above any other boiler but i do think they are overpriced.

if someone is insistent on a worcester i way overprice against the vogue so i dont fit many (4 in 6 years).

I like the Integas, but find them impossible to work! And to have to add a pressure vessels just plain odd.

Thats it have turned to the dark side i have sold my soul !!!

I am transferring to worcester as high end boiler of choice.

If you can't beat them then join them!!

Oh well, at ;east you'll get plenty of interaction over the coming years with your customers once they start breaking down... :)

Let's be honest, the repairs are so expensive on condensers. I reckon they'll end up being replaced when out of warranty, or repaired fixed price by the manufacturer.
I've replaced two ten year old Vaillants in the last few months. As soon as more than one part fails, or your unsure of a diagnosis, there just to expensive to repair.

Never had an issue with warranty being honoured provided the servicing been done.

If its been done properly had a few now with faults round here been called in told them the boiler still under warranty . Engineer came out walked away they will never honour 10 years .

If its been done properly had a few now with faults round here been called in told them the boiler still under warranty . Engineer came out walked away they will never honour 10 years .

Thats plain wrong hammers never had an issue it might be worth speaking to the local rep.
Because we get it spoon fed by the reps and on the courses that ideal will always look after us and to be fair they have been very good with me, Engineers and reps.

Don't do it. I'm fitting a Worcester now. I first fixed it a few months ago and took the template out of the box and piped it up as that. Put the boiler on today and the condense pipe is in the wrong place and fouling the jig I thought I'm a muppet but oh no it's the template and the jig are different!

Speaking about the jig why does it come in 2 pieces? Why not just 1.

I do like the drain point connected to the condense and the controls only took 1 minute to fit.

Don't do it. I'm fitting a Worcester now. I first fixed it a few months ago and took the template out of the box and piped it up as that. Put the boiler on today and the condense pipe is in the wrong place and fouling the jig I thought I'm a muppet but oh no it's the template and the jig are different!

Speaking about the jig why does it come in 2 pieces? Why not just 1.

I do like the drain point connected to the condense and the controls only took 1 minute to fit.

What boiler cdi? As the junior and cdi compact are one piece

That's what I thought as well. When the condense was in the wrong place as well I could of thrown the boiler in the skip!

I honestly don't know why installers love them.

yea stupid design making the jig two parts

Isn't the Cdi jig 3 parts, as you have the top but loose as well?

No point piping the Cdi off the template, may as well fit the jig & pipe up, as that's what it's designed for!

My biggest grind is with the new Worcester flue fixing on the compacts & smaller Combis, absolute pig! Crappy little plastic thing which when pushed down to allow the flue through the wall is a pig to realign back up... I hope they change it soon or I'm looking elsewhere!

Isn't the Cdi jig 3 parts, as you have the top but loose as well?

No point piping the Cdi off the template, may as well fit the jig & pipe up, as that's what it's designed for!

2 i think haven't fitted a classic but fitted a few cdi's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ive sold my soul in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on...
Replies
Views
I have a garden setup with metal pipe at each end and a pvc run in the middle. Proposed. That's what i want to do. Join the two with water...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i condenser boiler which is about 13 years old. There is a separate hot water tank. Recently the fan in the...
Replies
Views
I've had a burst pipe under bathroom floor. Ive had it dug up and made safe with the affected pipe cut and end caps fitted. The pipes are cover...
Replies
Views
Hi, So i have lived in my house for 20+ years, (1990 build) its a detached property, corner plot with various manholes in the garden. In the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock