Search the forum,

Discuss Is this central heating quote fair? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

al-lutonee

Hi all, first post but here it goes....

We are looking to replace our whole central heating system and have been getting quotes, we have 14 radiators in the house, 9 of them are brand new.

Is it possible to trade in/exchange our current valliant boiler? i believe its still its in warranty/guarantee period?

Does the below look reasonable?

thanks in advance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To isolate and remove the existing boiler, hot water cylinder, cold water storage tanks and associated pipe work,
- to install a central heating system comprising of a Vaillant ecotec plus 624 system boiler, a Vaillant uniStor 210 litre unvented hot water cylinder and 5 new radiators,
- to install new piping to all radiators (surface piping dropped down from ceilings),
- to provide optimum temperature control with programmer, room thermostat and thermostatic radiator valves,
- to supply and install a new gas line serving the boiler and gas cooker only,
- to supply and install adequately sized internal cold and hot water supplies to each bathroom and ensuite,
- to protect system with Magnaclean Professional filter and inhibitor,
- to test commission an certify the system (NOTE 5 years Manufacturer’s warranty on boiler).

Material cost £3 350.00
Labour cost £2 250.00
Total cost £5 600.00

There is absolutely no way on earth anyone can say if that is a good price or not over the internet. There are far too many factors to consider when doing quotes and a site visit is essential when doing this.

In saying that, that looks like a very well spec'd install, he has obviously done his calculations and not just dumping a combi in and hoping for the best.

Is there a particular reason for doubting the quoted price?

It doesn't look unreasonable to me, but there are a couple of lines on there (running the new gas and water services) that could only be costed by someone who had seen the job.

In relation to your boiler - I'm afraid it has virtually no value - the warranty will be registered to your address (not transferable), and there is no legitimate market for 2nd hand gas appliances - the cost of ensuring that a used appliance is safe is greater than the cost of purchasing a brand new one. Someone might buy it for spares, but with the long warranty on modern boilers, current model spares are not in enormous demand.

It doesn't look unreasonable to me, but there are a couple of lines on there (running the new gas and water services) that could only be costed by someone who had seen the job.

In relation to your boiler - I'm afraid it has virtually no value - the warranty will be registered to your address (not transferable), and there is no legitimate market for 2nd hand gas appliances - the cost of ensuring that a used appliance is safe is greater than the cost of purchasing a brand new one. Someone might buy it for spares, but with the long warranty on modern boilers, current model spares are not in enormous demand.

Thanks all for the responses. I am located in Luton. They said they would give me £200 for the boiler and scrap (paid around £1000 for it 3-4 years ago plus around £400 for a new heat exchanger last winter so thought it might have been worth a penny:()

Last edited by a moderator:
let me know if you would like to get another quote and have a Worcester Bosch boiler installed with 7 years guarantee !

If in doubt about the price on a quote for big jobs like this always best to get a few quotes from reputable businesses. They really need to see the job to give a real quote.
Make sure the installer - the person who actually does the work is n the Gas Safe Register - ask to see the card.
Second hand boilers are only worth scrap value - even if just 2 years old.

Ask British Gas for a price! :)

As said previously, very difficult to say yay or nay without having seen it.

As always get a BG quote then any decent outfit will match it like for like for half the
price and still make money - centralheatking

We are looking to replace our whole central heating system and have been getting quotes, we have 14 radiators in the house, 9 of them are brand new.

Is it possible to trade in/exchange our current valliant boiler? i believe its still its in warranty/guarantee period?

thanks in advance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To isolate and remove the existing boiler, hot water cylinder, cold water storage tanks and associated pipe work,
-to install a central heating system comprising of a Vaillant ecotec plus 624 system boiler, a Vaillant uniStor 210 litre unvented hot water cylinder and 5 new radiators,
-to install new piping to all radiators (surface piping dropped down from ceilings),
-to provide optimum temperature control with programmer, room thermostat and thermostatic radiator valves,
-to supply and install a new gas line serving the boiler and gas cooker only,
-to supply and install adequately sized internal cold and hot water supplies to each bathroom and ensuite,
-to protect system with Magnaclean Professional filter and inhibitor,
-to test commission an certify the system (NOTE 5 years Manufacturer’s warranty on boiler).

Material cost £3 350.00
Labour cost £2 250.00
Total cost £5 600.00

There is absolutely no way on earth anyone can say if that is a good price or not over the internet. There are far too many factors to consider when doing quotes and a site visit is essential when doing this.

In saying that, that looks like a very well spec'd install, he has obviously done his calculations and not just dumping a combi in and hoping for the best.

Is there a particular reason for doubting the quoted price?

I totally agree and for £5600, the quotation text is a bit thin, I would like to see a bit more in the way of explanations, is there any Vat.

I could do it for say £350? I have a second hand boiler and only use plastic? A fair price cannot be measured until the job is done. If it works perfectly and complies with best practice and all the regs last you 20 years but cost £10000 probably better than getting it done for £4900 and only lasting 5 years and never being sufficient. Get a BG quote, it's what they are there for - to do ludicrous quotes. Don't get 59 other quotes tho. BG , your man and one out of the yellow pages . 3 is enough.

Get three quotes of reputable installers and take your pick of whichever your gut tells you to go with.

thanks in advance

-to install a central heating system comprising of a Vaillant ecotec plus 624 system boiler, a Vaillant uniStor 210 litre unvented hot water cylinder and 5 new radiators,
-to install new piping to all radiators (surface piping dropped down from ceilings),
-to provide optimum temperature control with programmer, room thermostat and thermostatic radiator valves,
-to supply and install a new gas line serving the boiler and gas cooker only,
-to supply and install adequately sized internal cold and hot water supplies to each bathroom and ensuite,
-to protect system with Magnaclean Professional filter and inhibitor,
-to test commission an certify the system (NOTE 5 years Manufacturer’s warranty on boiler).

Material cost £3 350.00
Labour cost £2 250.00
Total cost £5 600.00

Could any of the nine existing, newish "keeper" radiators have sludge in them, as I see nothing about a flush through, new or not, could still be sludged.
I know all else will be brand spanking new, so the aforementioned is just a cautionary thought.

Last edited:
I could do it for say £350? I have a second hand boiler and only use plastic? A fair price cannot be measured until the job is done. If it works perfectly and complies with best practice and all the regs last you 20 years but cost £10000 probably better than getting it done for £4900 and only lasting 5 years and never being sufficient. Get a BG quote, it's what they are there for - to do ludicrous quotes. Don't get 59 other quotes tho. BG , your man and one out of the yellow pages . 3 is enough.

Ermi,

Don't forget Postcode and Car he drives first

Ermi,

Don't forget Postcode and Car he drives first

With quotes it's a little more subtle, ask for a cup of tea. If your offered earl gray in a bone china cup with sugar cubes and the milk is from m&s , waitrose or fenwicks your on a winner. If it's pg tips in a clean unchipped mug then use the loo.... If it quilted jobs a good one if tracing paper they are getting a 24kw main.

With quotes it's a little more subtle, ask for a cup of tea. If your offered earl gray in a bone china cup with sugar cubes and the milk is from m&s , waitrose or fenwicks your on a winner. If it's pg tips in a clean unchipped mug then use the loo.... If it quilted jobs a good one if tracing paper they are getting a 24kw main.
Love it !!

When comparing quotes make sure they are comparable and for the same things. Some cheaper boilers are inferior quality to more expensive ones. Your old boiler is only worth scrap unless you are prepared to dismantle it and sell the individual components off separately yourself on ebay.

Best post all year off of Ermintrude there. To OP I would say there's no way to tell if that's a good price or not from a labour point of view however you could save on materials. Vaillant make great boilers but other brands are available with similar/longer warranty. Try getting a quote on a Baxi Megaflow System or Ideal Vogue 26kw System both with 7 year warranty.

Once again.....I am Gobsmacked!!!

Venture down to my part of the globe....that installation would only cost you @ 3 times as much.

Materials and labour.

I am going to print out the quotation and show some other plumbers / heating contractors.
I will let you know what they think.

Please note: I do not want you to think that I am having a 'go' at anyone. I am more interested in the costs of the equipment.

To be honest - the labour rates seem low compared to what we have to pay employees, which equates to what we have to charge.

I really don't want this to come across as being malicious or vindictive.

Oz-Plumber

Last edited:
Always looking.....

Its not taking on plumbers thats the hard bit...its getting rid of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this central heating quote fair? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock