Discuss Is a combi boiler safe with NO mains cold water? (Urgent) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lycanfox

Thanks in advance for any replies to this.

Basically this morning a hot tap would not turn off and was gushing hot water. I couldn't find an isolation valve for the tap so had to turn off all the water via the main stopcock. The only worry is a plumber I rung said that without the cold water going to our combi boiler, the heat exchange could melt itself and cause a lot of damage so we had to turn our heating off.

Now correct me if i'm wrong but surely as long as the hot water setting is turned off on the boiler, the boiler should have two different heat exchangers so the hot water one would not melt due to not having any water to heat if it was off, and the heating exchanger works on a closed loop so should also be ok?

Thanks again for any replies, the last thing I want is to destroy my boiler in such a cold winter.

Adam

Lets get this straight, has anyone checked the MI's? I have. This boiler does not have a seperate plate heat exchanger. Its heat exchangers HTG + DHW are both located above an atmospheric burner. So when it calls for HTG it also heats the DHW side regardless of DHW demand. So if the DHW side become empty through evaporation because the water is turned off then the consequences could cause damage.

Agree with everyone if it had a seperate plate heat exchanger heated from the main HTG heat exchanger through a diverter valve. Which is the normal for all your Vaillants, Worchesters ect, but not for an old ferrolli Modena.

Also agree that the overheat would probably protect it. but would not rely on it as thats your last line of safety device.
i have and here they are for your perusal

http://www.ferroli.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/brochures/archives/Ferroli F30 B Manual.pdf

I have the mi's already and have checked it out, as I said in my previous post.

Anyway its only a problem if the DHW side dries up. so as long as there is water in it no problem.

If this faulty tap is below the boiler do you think it will dry out. So waters off tap is on, even if its above the boiler, what if they turn on the kitchen ho****er tap which is likely to be below the boiler. It will drain the heat exchanger just above the gas burner which is happly burning away because the heatings turned on.

I have the mi's already and have checked it out, as I said in my previous post.

Anyway its only a problem if the DHW side dries up. so as long as there is water in it no problem.

If this faulty tap is below the boiler do you think it will dry out. So waters off tap is on, even if its above the boiler, what if they turn on the kitchen ho****er tap which is likely to be below the boiler. It will drain the heat exchanger just above the gas burner which is happly burning away because the heatings turned on.

I had thought it is understood that the HW pipe has to be designed in a way that it does not reach temperatures above boiling point under any circumstances?

If you take a close look at the hydraulic circuit it becomes evident that the DHW heat exchanger is (wet) on the primary circuit and therefore, as long as the pump is working (and it will when CH is working) it won't reach any temperature above the flow temperature, consequently nothing will melt or overheating. When there is a demand for DHW the electronics after evaluating the flow sensor signal will stop the pump and the full power of the boiler will heat up the primary cooled down by the secondary with running cold water.
conclusion: from the design of it Dancinplumba is 100% correct.

The frost protection will not work if the electricity and/or gas supply to the unit are cut off.
To avoid damage caused by freezing during long shutdowns in winter, it is advisable to drain allwater from the boiler, the tap water and the system water; or drain off just the tap water andadd a suitable antifreeze to the heating system, as prescribed in chap. 2.3.

Above is from page 6 (1.4), now even Ferroli would not put it in print if there was any chance of it recking their boilers now would they.

I love it when Chris joins in as he seems to find these little one liners from nowhere that supply a definitive answer in hard format.

Right, so now that ones put to bed, what else can we argue about....?

Sorry everone, could'nt let this one drop, so I have done the homework and spoken to ferrolli technical. They say that if you run the boiler with the could water main turned off then there is a significant risk that the heat exchanger could be damaged. Especially if any hot water draw offs were left turned on.

Sorry everone, could'nt let this one drop, so I have done the homework and spoken to ferrolli technical. They say that if you run the boiler with the could water main turned off then there is a significant risk that the heat exchanger could be damaged. Especially if any hot water draw offs were left turned on.
So technical man contradicts the manufactures written instructions, well I know which one I would believe !!
Now please, can we put this one to bed now.

Having read 73 posts and all disagreeing with each other, the "op" must be totally confused.

BTW I get the gist of what an "op" is (the person who asked the question, I assume) but does "op" actually stand for something?

I had already mentioned that ferrolli engineer had warned me of this, but other people know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is a combi boiler safe with NO mains cold water? (Urgent) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock