Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Insurance and water leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neilp123

Hi there,

Sorry this isn't exactly a plumbing question, but I need some advice!

Last week, after I took a shower upstairs, I noticed some water coming through the ceiling in the kitchen (which is directly beneath the shower). I carried out a few tests, and deduced that it was not coming from the pipes, but a leak in the shower somewhere.

I called out a plumber who quickly identified that there was a leak in the sealant where the wall panel had not been fixed properly. I did not originally consider insurance, but asked the plumber to remove the shower to see if any further damage had been caused by the leak. Once he did remove the shower, there was a fair bit of damage to the floor boards, but fortunately the main joist was pretty much in tact. The shower tray had been glued to the floor with expandable foam, so the plumber had to work damn hard to get it up, and when he did he heard a crack. No apparent damage, but a crack was heard! In order to fully investigate the water leak, he also had to remove several wall panels. He was able to remove two of them in tact, but one of them had to be sawn in half to remove.

So when we asked about costs to get sorted, it quickly became apparent that we were talking 4 figures, and it would be worth a call to insurers. We're with Nationwide. Policy states that were covered for damage caused by water leak, and the guy on the phone also said we were covered for the work needed to find the leak (trace and access I presume).

Now my question is, are we going to be covered for any damage that was done in finding the leak? So the wall panel that was cut in half, and the potentially cracked shower tray?

Someone coming out next Friday to assess. Would love some advice!

Thanks in advance.

the only person that would know that is

1 you the person who pays your insurance as you will have to read through your documents

2 the assessor who comes out to check water damage

Simple answer NO!, insurance Co will pay for any damage caused, but not for what caused the damage ! should have called insurance Co first B4 you started to remove anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Insurance and water leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and...
Replies
Views
I have a leak from my shower, it's coming down into my kitchen. I've had the sealant, waste pipe and tray all checked. I've also had the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and...
Replies
Views
D
I have a hot water slab leak which is found behind my bathroom vanity. We heard the noise for a week but never saw any water. Just today we saw...
Replies
Views
drpepper68
D
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock