Search the forum,

Discuss Installing a Shower Pan Liner in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I am planning to refurbish a bathroom in a "modern" house - ie 30 years old. Part of the work is to install a new shower pan and cubicle together with wall boards (inside the shower only). The bathroom is upstairs and sits on a chipboard floor. Although there is no evidence of leakage under the existing shower tray, a neighbour who lives in a very similar house had a different experience. His shower leaked slowly without him realizing until the downstairs ceiling became stained. When he investigated, significant rot and water damage was discovered not only to the floor but also to joists - and it cost a lot of money to fix!

Wishing to avoid such a situation, I should like to install some sort of shower pan liner under the new shower tray. The theory being that even if a small drip or leak occurred, the chipboard floor would be more likely to be protected.

I know shower pan liners are available, but it seems they are intended for use under tiles. Is it practicable or advisable to install one under a shower pan as an additional safety precaution?

Comments appreciated.

I would say that the problem the neighbour had was down to who did the job and just make sure that you have good household insurance rather than worry about something that may or may not happen.

Reply to Installing a Shower Pan Liner in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock