Discuss How you guys doing for work? Keeping your heads above water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plucky

As above really.

I been self employed since last July and had been flat out since. Worked for a firm previously for 8 years and was lucky to have a few contacts.

Was subbing as an installer doing 1 job per week for British Gas but their work has thinned out a bit so they look after their own guys and long time contracters first. So I have no work from them at the mo, so I dont have anything from them until they pick up.

So I don have alot on! I have few services to do, few 1/2 day jobs powerflushing moving rads etc. An oil boiler swap. And a heating system overhaul in a massive house that involves splitting zones, new cylinders and re wiring.

I joined check a trade few weeks ago and have had a couple of calls through that which I am suprised about! 1 service and 1 quote for boiler swap.

Havent advertised elsewhere or anything other than local mag which is about 30 quid a month.

So hows everyone else doing, is it just me struggling or are things bit slow anyway?

im struggling a bit at the moment, got a job tomorrow fixing an undersink water heater and fixing a leak on a bit of pipe connecting radiators together which is badly corroded due to being about 30 years old, in an office block in town. Might have another job for a woman I'm going to call her tomorrow. Going to advertise alot in the new few weeks try get things to pick up a bit though.

Frustrating isnt it.

I do expect tough times and I know it will take me a few years to become established and have the phone ringing all the time. Im skeptical of advertising to be honest as there are so many places to go etc. I understand it may be necessary now though! You can soon end up spending a fair few quid a month advertising here and there etc.

My work has suddenly dried up , i do a boiler contract which has suddenly stopped dead , putting this down to end of financial year. Had few friends pass me couple days a week and having dribs n drabs of my own work .But have not priced anything of note for couple weeks and my phone does not ring much either lately .getting annoying now .

havent worked for a week got ads in local papers google adwords and yel its sure dead out there

wish i was registered with snipef, just missed out on a boiler swap for the scrappage scheme which u need to be a member of snipef ! bit pointless for a sole trader though as it is an employers federation

i thought it was just me who was quite my phone hasnt rang for about a week luckly though i have been busy up till now finished the bathroom today and got nothing in till monday.

Its defo quiet , my phone has only rang for small works , went through my contacts list today and agencies so see what comes up !

Just had a regular customer ring me, they want two bathrooms doing, complete overhaul tiling etc. A shower room and downstairs cloakroom so should keep me busy for a month... phew

i havent stopped since november last year, been working 5-6 days per week solid, its only just started to thin out abit now, im actually getting home for 5pm now, only got 2 weeks booked in the diary now, not to worried yet but have been doing a few leaflets here and there just incase it dries up more than id like.

hope it picks up for you all soon.

As above really.

I been self employed since last July and had been flat out since. Worked for a firm previously for 8 years and was lucky to have a few contacts.

Was subbing as an installer doing 1 job per week for British Gas but their work has thinned out a bit so they look after their own guys and long time contracters first. So I have no work from them at the mo, so I dont have anything from them until they pick up.

So I don have alot on! I have few services to do, few 1/2 day jobs powerflushing moving rads etc. An oil boiler swap. And a heating system overhaul in a massive house that involves splitting zones, new cylinders and re wiring.

I joined check a trade few weeks ago and have had a couple of calls through that which I am suprised about! 1 service and 1 quote for boiler swap.

Havent advertised elsewhere or anything other than local mag which is about 30 quid a month.

So hows everyone else doing, is it just me struggling or are things bit slow anyway?

i wouldnt say your quiet matey

wish i was registered with snipef, just missed out on a boiler swap for the scrappage scheme which u need to be a member of snipef ! bit pointless for a sole trader though as it is an employers federation

You don't need to be registered with SNIPEF to get the Boiler Scrappage voucher, although they say you "should" be. Ive done 3 so far and I'm not registered with them.

i phoned up and got refused, so did my mate

Speak to the customer to ensure they will allow you to act on their behalf and fill the form in online from their website. You're Gas Safe registration is all thats needed, after all its THE recognised industry body for gas. If they get humpty about it tell them you're enrolling with IGEM (which you can join using your gas safe registration for about ÂŁ40 a year)

Been working 6/7 days a week since august last year work seems to keep piling up luckily though. advertise in yellow pages and yell.com. stopping the google adwords costing me ÂŁ60.00 a month with minimum return. just having a new website developed with search engine optimisation which is a lot more cost effective at ÂŁ300.00 which is being done through a free lancing website. also get work through a bathroom showroom(not sub contracting) as a recommended installer. i know there will be people who don't agree with advertising prefering to rely on word of mouth, but in times like this you need to get your business out there and recognised. incidentally most of my work comes from the yellow pages.

Been flat out for years, didnt even notice the rescestion but I have noticed that last month things are slowing down on my normal plumbing and gas side but the renewable side is still flat out.

Been flat out for years, didnt even notice the rescestion but I have noticed that last month things are slowing down on my normal plumbing and gas side but the renewable side is still flat out.
Need any staff ..LOL

ive been slow for the last few weeks hope things pick back up???

ive applied for agencies and BG, through to the next stage of recruitment in BG whatever that means.. I'll even work full time and do my own work part time

I had quite an abysmal week last week , have been offered work but have had the usual let downs of people saying how much work they have only not to come up with any . Starting to think that people talk about work than actually do it !!!

Im up in Aberdeen for SG just now, thats how busy I am!..lol

there seems to be alot of work up there, but i have a HNC night time course that I would like to finish lol

ive applied for agencies and BG, through to the next stage of recruitment in BG whatever that means.. I'll even work full time and do my own work part time

If you have your own gas safe and insurance etc then stick to your guns and go the subby route. I was close to going direct with another firm and nearly did but its the best thing i have done going the contract route. Theres more freedom more money and its just a nicer way to work. Plus you can keep your gassafe and do private work aswell, as some firms don't like you having your own gassafe. I sat waiting for BG to start me for three months but I haven't looked back since.

We're busy. Generally we're always busy...we don't advertise at all. Just all comes in from regular clients and word of mouth. Once you're established and have customers willing to wait for you, then you'll always have work.

Worst thing is that when you get bigger jobs, then customers have to wait a long time for even small works, sometimes they get impatient and go elsewhere. When that happens theres always the danger you'll lose them as a customer. So I prefer to have loads of small jobs lined up, but with that, you never know when you might run out of work!

Hope it picks up for you all.

Has anybody tried a networking club? I joined a national one last year, it was a bit expensive but brought in lots of work.

A few of us left that one and started our own, no yearly fees just a twice a month meeting that costs ÂŁ12.50 and we get a full english breakfast and a chance to pass each other referals for work.

It works well and I do realy well out of it, only one trade or proffession allowed to be a member.

All the profit from the club goes to help the members out with any adverts or christmass do's etc

One other thing I should probably add, it I do constantly market myself in a weird way.

For instance, we were changing a thermal store on saturday. I noticed that a local letting agent had her car parked outside and was showing someone a neighbouring flat.

I happened to see when she left, so I popped out with a handful of flyers, cards, a copy our public liabilty insurance (often needed) and had a chat.

Maybe I won't hear anything from her, but maybe I will. Took me a total of what 10 mins.

I'm always on the look out for little opportunities like that. Most blokes can't be bothered, but I need the money...two young kids and lots of bills!

If you have your own gas safe and insurance etc then stick to your guns and go the subby route. I was close to going direct with another firm and nearly did but its the best thing i have done going the contract route. Theres more freedom more money and its just a nicer way to work. Plus you can keep your gassafe and do private work aswell, as some firms don't like you having your own gassafe. I sat waiting for BG to start me for three months but I haven't looked back since.

I'm trying to get sub-contract work but dont know where to look, everyone i phone its either "leave a message and i'l get someone to phone back" starting to get desperate.

Has anybody tried a networking club? I joined a national one last year, it was a bit expensive but brought in lots of work.

A few of us left that one and started our own, no yearly fees just a twice a month meeting that costs ÂŁ12.50 and we get a full english breakfast and a chance to pass each other referals for work.

It works well and I do realy well out of it, only one trade or proffession allowed to be a member.

All the profit from the club goes to help the members out with any adverts or christmass do's etc

is this like business people meeting up for a chat and a drink ? I have been invited to something like that

whats a networking club?
cant say i have heard of that wouldnt even know where to look

I am a big fan of BNI. I have been a memeber for 3 years now and it's always brought in around 15k per year and ~I love a good fry up.

got the bradford chamber of commerce coming out to see me next week. they do stuff like this also do free debt collecting business advice. etc. 200 quid a year sounds like it's worth a punt. have been looking to join a networking club but have really been rushed of my feet lately not had to look into it.

Quite slow at the minute. Didn't realise just how much a builder we work for kept us going the last 12 months. They have hit on hard times and not won a job this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How you guys doing for work? Keeping your heads above water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've got a testo 327-1 that I purchased back in 2019 when I went self employed. The analyser hasn't been calibrated since purchase. After...
Replies
Views
Back