Search the forum,

Discuss How to stop Back-flow into overflow ? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My plumber did not install an overflow when my water softener was fitted, something I found out when it failed and flooded the floor !
I have installed a 12mm overflow hose into a compression T joint, however I'm getting back flow, from both the washing machine, and probably the water-softener drain too. I have attached a diagram, What's the best way to stop this ? or an alternate way way to plumb the overflow into waste water ?

Attachments

• Overflow_help.jpg
    Overflow_help.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 17
Mechanical trap between Softner and washing machine.

You’ve likely got a partial blockage causing the black flow. Need to unblock it

I think the (low volume, partial) backflow is caused by (a) the low height differences between the s bends and (b) the low drop of the drain pipe. Neither of which are easy to change. I will also check for blockage,

What sort of mechanical trap ?

Do I have any other options ?

I think the (low volume, partial) backflow is caused by (a) the low height differences between the s bends and (b) the low drop of the drain pipe. Neither of which are easy to change. I will also check for blockage,

What sort of mechanical trap ?

Do I have any other options ?

If the washing machine backflow is capable of rising 200mm up the stand pipe to the softener, I highly suspect a partial blockage.

A trap like this.

Reply to How to stop Back-flow into overflow ? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock