Search the forum,

Discuss How many times have you claimed on your PL insurance? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I've only done it once. Been trading about 6 years.

Often wonder what happens if you get unlucky a few times in a couple of years.. do you end up bankrupt from the premium hikes?

Never (yet), I always wonder to myself how much of a claim it would have to be for me to put a claim in, for the very reason you mention.

i was glad to use it. even though it was an accident (dropped a shower screen and damaged a wall and unusual basin) that could have happened to anybody the atmosphere between me and the custards just went so miserable that i was glad of the chance to run away.

If the worst happens, hopefully you can walk away with a warm feeling. I don't understand how anyone can work in other peoples homes without cover. But if you need it, the premiums will of course rise for a while.

Claimed off it couple of years ago and unless its grand or more i will never claim again, whilst my claim was going through it hiked to something daft like 200 quid a month for basic cover.

Worst of it was that all firms i phoned to change all knew of my claim.

how much was the claim?

mine was about 900 quid and the premiums only rose by about 6 quid a month.

my fear is if you were unlucky to have to claim a few times in a short period that maybe they'd raise the premiums to a level you couldn't justify trading

how much was the claim?

mine was about 900 quid and the premiums only rose by about 6 quid a month.

my fear is if you were unlucky to have to claim a few times in a short period that maybe they'd raise the premiums to a level you couldn't justify trading

Well it nearly shut me down .
I initially thought it was just a couple carpets as nothing more when i visited first on the scene, couldn't be bothered to give them money so contacted my insurance ,,,,BIG MISTAKE.

Loss adjuster contacted me met up with him and he pretty much agreed when we left and that was that.Roll on about 5 months later on my insurance renew and it had jumped by stoopid amount.

Found out that the house owners claimed for all sorts and as it was first floor flat the ones below
went the whole hog due to her son being a know it all.

No way again would i let a customer claim against unless i am their and see what they are fleecing.

hopefully i'll never need to claim on my PLI and if i had to id try to rectifty it myself first unless it was big money

I should never have bothered claiming reality was it was MI defect but they played the big fish vs little fish , looking back should of said no way my fault

well if this is everyone's view then - unsurpisingly - the insurance companies are onto a winner. everyone has it, nobody wants to use it. cha-ching.

hopefully i'll never need to claim on my PLI and if i had to id try to rectifty it myself first unless it was big money

Totally agree, though I would never run without it as doing the work that we do (use open flames, flooding, etc.) there is a remote possibility of getting a huge claim.

I guess what we should do is crank up our excess to £1k or so to limit the premiums, not sure how much of a difference this would make though.

Totally agree, though I would never run without it as doing the work that we do (use open flames, flooding, etc.) there is a remote possibility of getting a huge claim.

I guess what we should do is crank up our excess to £1k or so to limit the premiums, not sure how much of a difference this would make though.

Im Paying £89 for 2mill and water or fire claim is £500 excess and underground services is £1000,

all my other qoutes that where around £300 had around £100 excess

Thought I was going to need it just before Christmas. Swapped over a vented cylinder to unvented with the cwst needing doing too. Connected all the three outlets from tank to main with lever valves, turned one of them on to find it was an open end left in the wall!

Wasn't on for long but damage was done. Customer went a bit quiet and atmosphere changed. Anyway, rather than leave it till the new year and the potential to get knocked on final payment, I sent an email asking for a list of damage etc and what they wanted to resolve the issue. Eventually they decided it was nothing to worry about but weren't overly pleased, despite it not being my fault really.

I've just today sent a bouquet of flowers as a further apology, plus they've emailed me saying all good, so if it does turn nasty later I can argue i've done all I could to resolve the issue and customer had agreed all was ok.

Had another chancer earlier this year as well, kept saying he didn't want to go through insurance because we had apparently left a drain off open slightly which leaked on a new carpet. I shot round, offered to pay for a carpet cleaner, which he refused.
A week later he phoned saying I'd left another one open, which I know for a fact we didn't touch!
Long a short, it didn't take long before he tries asking for money as reimbursement, I called his bluff and declined saying I'd inform my insurance company, he was trying to say that his carpet should be replaced from the previous incident, despite the offer to get it cleaned. I said the insurance company would ask why he refused the offer to clean it etc

He soon changed his tune but was such a pain the the arise I just hung up on him. Never done that to a customer before but he was just going on and on, repeating the same bull****, I lost my patience.

Last edited:
Im Paying £89 for 2mill and water or fire claim is £500 excess and underground services is £1000,

all my other qoutes that where around £300 had around £100 excess

That is ridiculously cheap - have you defo got naked flame cover?
Who is the insurer?
Have you read all the T&C's?

If you actually sit down and go over the T&C in detail you will probably realise you're paying nearer 2mill for £89 of cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How many times have you claimed on your PL insurance? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock