Discuss Hot water but no Central Heating with young children in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

So it was the synchronous motor like I said?
[automerge]1575758990[/automerge]
That's good. You'll find a lot of so called engineers would just of changed the head, any one worth his weight in gold would of isolated the problem and just changed the motor, cheaper for the customer and a sign they know their stuff. Glad you got it sorted
[automerge]1575758992[/automerge]
That's good. You'll find a lot of so called engineers would just of changed the head, any one worth his weight in gold would of isolated the problem and just changed the motor, cheaper for the customer and a sign they know their stuff. Glad you got it sorted

Last edited:
So it was the synchronous motor like I said?
[automerge]1575758990[/automerge]
[automerge]1575758992[/automerge]
Yes agreed but I have cjhanges the motor and then had to go back to change the head so..... 50/50 it doesn't always worktrying to save the customer money, and difficult to justify a second charge.

I agree Ted it's not justifiable to charge for the same problem twice but with careful testing most culprits can be identified on first visit. In this case the spindle was free to move through manual lever, so we know that was ok and he said he was getting feed from stat so instantly I was thinking motor burnt out, not motoring over and not contacting end switch. This being a Honeywell valve the manual lever wont contact the end switch, it can be done if you take the head case off and use a peg, other two ports do contact the end switch if you manually move lever I believe. Either way it's fixed now 🙂

Glad you got it fixed.

On the other hand, and as a general comment, I think we panic far too much these days about cold houses and I suspect there's actually a level of misinformation driving a trend of ever-warmer houses because, otherwise, as houses become more energy efficient, the oil/gas/coal companies won't make enough profit. I actually think that the authorities are themselves being lobbied by people with a vested interest, or that 'comfort temperatures' are driven as much by current practice as by what is actually safe. So now we seem to consider a house under-heated unless you can walk around comfortably in a swimming costume.

So long as you have thick covers and a hot water bottle, my personal belief is that heated bedrooms in houses are entirely unnecessary, except perhaps for people with particular medical conditions (though, I accept that once, in a caravan, when it was well below freezing outside, I actually needed a heater on (on the lowest possible setting).

Within an occupied house, it would be unusual for temperatures to drop below 10°C, which will usually be quite enough. I used to get ice on my bedroom windows as a child and, in the 80s, it was officially (council housing standards) quite acceptable to have a kitchen or hallway at 13°C. I think this did a lot for household cohesion as nobody would hide away in their bedrooms during the day and people invariably spent sedentary time in the warmer rooms.

Reply to Hot water but no Central Heating with young children in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back