Search the forum,

Discuss Hot tub boiler install in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all. I have bought a cheap boiler to run my hot tub as others have on the interweb and have a question that you amazing plumbers will probably know the answer to straight away.

I have the setup as pictured below and I am about to run some tests to get the best output all round.

I am looking for the best balance of flow vs efficiency vs speed to heat.

I originally booked the boiler up to test with the garden hose and power was quite good out of the boiler. Gas regulation was low and temperature setting half way to get 40 degree water.
I fitted the central heating pump and it seems a lot less power OUT of the boiler, and can't get 40 degrees anymore. It sits around 60 with gas regulator on its lowest and temperature dial (which just essentially slows the water flow through it) also to lowest. I thought the pump would have pushed more than it does.

I need faster flow OUT for another reason, and that's to push the freshly heated water around the hot tub and mix with the cold.
I am going to run a series of tests using the CH pump on all three speed settings. Once through the boiler and once bypassing it. And then do the same using 10mm return pipe in the hope that it will come out at a higher pressure to create my mixing effect. I will know the answer shorty to this, however I don't have any 22mm pipe and don't really want to buy a length just for a test, but if I replace the supply and return lines with 22mm, will it increase the flow or not?

it doesn't appear that the hosepipe or 15mm is restricting the flow INTO the boiler as the garden tap before pushed much more water through, so don't think that is restricting it.

any ideas or knowledge on the physics of this would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• D2500BF6-3CF7-40D2-8569-E1CA4EBDE819.jpeg
    D2500BF6-3CF7-40D2-8569-E1CA4EBDE819.jpeg
    442.3 KB · Views: 11
You meed to maximise the volume of water you are moving through the boiler.
It's not about 'faster flow'. You can have a tiny pipe with fantastic flow speed, but you won't get much volume through it.
10mm pipe is too small for anywhere in your scheme.

Your hose pipe was probably giving 20 litres or so per minute
Maybe your pump is not giving that much?
I gather typical pumps in hot tubs can move 300 to 400 litres/minute, and that's no doubt facilitated by big diameter pipes.

Swimming pool plumbing I have been involved with used 2 inch pipe, but I gather 1.5 inch is used also. Of course all the equipment such as heater, filter, pump, all have that bore as well!

I'm not your man for the sums. Your hot tub will probably have over 1000 litres of water in it, possibly 1500? That's a lot more than a domestic heating system! My intuition, and nothing more than that, is you need bigger pipe, and a bigger pump, but not so big as to over pressure the boiler heat exchanger. Put a pressure gauge on the input to the boiler and see if you can get the input pressure up to say 2 or 3 bar with the boiler output connected via a fat pipe to the hot tub!
If your boiler connections are 22mm I would be using at least 22mm pipe everywhere.

I have my doubts about the wisdom/ safety of this setup, but I will leave that for the experts to comment!

The use of a heat exchanger and a separate pump to exchange the the heat from the boiler to the Hot tub water through separation would be the best option, high chlorine levels can be corrosive and damage your boiler set up ,sorry to say what you have is a bit DIY employ a professional for a day is my advice . Kop

Reply to Hot tub boiler install in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock