Discuss Help With Traps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

celticbhoy

Hi.
I was wondering if someone can help explain the whole 'water-seal' part of Traps.
I just dont get it at all. Example, traps fitted on flat bottomed appliances should have a minimum water seal of 38mm.
Any help would be appreciated.

Not come across this before but I imagine the 38mm refers to the depth of water from the level where it won't seal (ie leave an air gap).

Am I right in thinking this is part of a plumbing theory course/test? In real life I don't think this is an issue.

why do you need to know ? this is only really relevant when doing drain testing as the size of your trap determins how much pressure you can put into the test. Basins and sinks are usually 75mm and showers are usually 40mm i cant remeber what toilets are

why do you need to know ? this is only really relevant when doing drain testing as the size of your trap determins how much pressure you can put into the test. Basins and sinks are usually 75mm and showers are usually 40mm i cant remeber what toilets are
depth of seal is determined by where its running to for direct to soil you use deep seal and to gullies or hopper head shallows ok two piece low line bath traps are deep seal as the outlet height means your using part of the waste fitting as part of the trap
deep seal is usually 75mm shallow 40mm
wc pans are as cast not much you can do about them

Last edited:
only time ive had to worry about the depth of a trap seal is when doing drain testing, otherwise its not really been a problem.

Wc and Gully traps are unlikely to receive full bore discharge so seals can be shallower.

Yeah, we got it given out at College and it confused me a bit. Ill have a look through the link and ask again if Im still stuck. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help With Traps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back