Discuss help. removed a radiator now i have no heating or hot water. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shaunbell

hi i am new to this site and would like some help if possible.
today i removed a radiator from my dining room so i could wallpaper behind it. all i did was remove the rad from the valves just draining the rad and not the full system. both valves are closed but now my heating has gone off and i have no hot water. please help.

sounds like you have interrupted the flow on the heating side by removing the radiator. what system do you have combi or vented?

its a combi. i have a bungalow and the boiler is in the loft, its a baxi duo tec.

If it's a combi you have probably dropped the pressure on the heating side and the low pressure switch has kicked in.

hi steve, its a combi in the loft. a baxi duo tec. is there any thing i can do to fix the problem. decorators not coming till saturday. thanks

re-pressurise the boiler to 1.5 bar ensure rad valves were you have removed the rad are not leaking

hi , thanks for your quick reply. if i increase the pressure on the boiler to 2 bar would that fix things or would i have to put rad back on. cheers

do you have a room stat in that room pos water in while stripping and tripped elec supply

look by the boiler you will have a silver, flexible braided loop open the valve connected to it,look at the pressure gauge on the boiler,pressure to 1.5 bar,turn the valve off it should then work

thankyou for your help gas man. will i have to put rad back on wall first or can i just re-pressure the system. will this fix my heating and hot water. my decorater is not coming till saturday. thanks

As long as the valves are shut off there should be no need to re-fit the rad just put some more pressure in.

if you have a trv on the rad it may pass water either put your rad back, and re-pressurise and fill it back up or get a cap to fit on the trv(1/2 inch female) or re-pressurise with someone watching the trv see if it passes if so turn thee filling loop off and go back to step 1

many thanks for your time bronzino will give it a wirl tomorrow when i get home from work.

Just top system back up with radiator off, check valves are not passing water. Don't go above 1.5 in my opinion. Duotec has built in bypass but would be better if one of your radiators in house had no thermostatic valve on just in case.

so i ask again why would pressure drop no water taken out of system and valve not reopened

yes it has a trv on rad, i dont think it was leaking when i removed it. will this still have caused the pressure to drop and boiler to cut out. as for caps to fit the trv's would a compression coupler female cp do the job item 93355 in toolstation catalogue. thanks

just try re pressurising if it dont leak end of issue,but trvs notorious for passing

i only drained water from radiator. i closed the valves at each side. no leaks at all then heating went off and had no hot water.

thanks marleyco one radiator in my bungalow has no trv. cheers for help

thanks again gas man for all your time on this will have a go at fixing problem tomorrow. will let you know outcome ......fingers crossed.

thanks again gas man for all your time on this will have a go at fixing problem tomorrow. will let you know outcome ......fingers crossed.

good luck Shaun,you should get it going BTW DUOTECS a good boiler

Ok, so if you closed the valves first then removed radiator the pressure should not have dropped. Think that's what your saying, I'd still top system up, check for leaks and keep an eye on it, if pressure drops again then there must be another problem. Maybe a leaking pipe or expansion vessel, maybe even pressure relief discharge. All of which seem bit of a coincidence

could system be piped so that if a rad is removed it cuts flow to the rest. sort of one pipe system without bypassing individual rads.

yeh that's what I was thinking 1 pipe system if you shut 2 valves off and only drained the radiator then the system should still be pressurised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to help. removed a radiator now i have no heating or hot water. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, just want to get some advise, basically new vaillant regular boiler has been fitted approx 5 yrs ago, i believe it was back boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I hope someone might be able to help please. I hope this isn't a daft question. I am trying to remove the side panels on my...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Looking for some advice please. Got a building, all one level with 7 radiators. 3 individual ones in separate rooms then 4 radiators...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back