Discuss Help - losing pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HullLass

I have a Vokera combi boiler - due to a really loud noise in the boiler a couple of weeks ago a BG service engineer came and advised that there was limescale in the boiler hence the noise - a powerflush is booked for 2 weeks time. In the meantime to enable us to have some heat/water the temperature on the boiler was turned right down to avoid it getting too hot to cause the "popping" noise.

Since then, the boiler is losing pressure when the heating/water is on - when it's all off, the pressure remains absolutely steady - as soon as it's on it starts to drop although not particularly fast - I do have to top up daily - although somedays it's fine!

A couple of years ago we had a bad leak in one of the pipes but since it was fixed I have had no problems with the pressure and haven't had to top it up until the other day after the engineer had been - any thoughts? Thanks guys.

It sounds like an issue with the expansion vessel. If the system is that bad it may have blocked the feed to it or damaged the vessel itself.

Any water being discharged out of the pressure relief pipe outside?

Is your flush with BG? Just to advise you can often get them done at half the price of BG. Plus, if the dirty system has damaged the vessel, I may have also damaged some of the other working parts in the boiler.

Get it flushed and see how you get on, if it needs a new vessel and anything else, you may want to consider changing the boiler in the long run.

I haven't looked actually so will check when I get home. Yes the flush is with BG - I know I know - it's more expensive - trouble is I am absolutely terrified of having it done - we had a pipe burst about 3 years ago - it's a newish house and no-one could understand why one of the pipes just burst in the middle of summer - the thought was a faulty batch of copper! Thing is BG provide a lifetime guarantee and if anything happens they will come back and repair under the guarantee.

a burst pipe in the summer

did you claim on home ins?

your local tradesman has a service to powerflush and i think you will find that any lifetime guarantee will have a long list of exclusions but its upto you

sounds like expansion vessel or prv

Thanks for all your advice - couldn't claim on home insurance!!! Suffice to say no longer with that insurance company - apparently if I had hit a nail through the pipe it wouldn't have been an issue.

I would have hit a nail through it then if it was me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help - losing pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back