Search the forum,

Discuss Help - amateur-night plumber and a capped boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

calgontablet

Hopefully someone out there can best advise me what to do here: Bit of a nightmare.

1. Put in an offer on a house 2.5 months ago. Accepted. During the sales negotiations, I asked the seller to have a gas safety check carried out on the boiler. He was reluctant to do this, communicating to the solicitors that it wasn’t a legal requirement. I replied with a “do it.”

2. Some weeks later, my solicitors send me a copy of the bill for the ‘work’ the seller has had done - £70. A single-page document states the name of a plumber with a gas safety number and the comment ‘Boiler serviced, all ok.’ Literally nothing else on the statement - not even a VAT ref. Emailed solicitors saying I wasn’t satisfied that the document was genuine – it didn’t even log the model no of the boiler. They said other than checking out the plumber’s credentials, there isn’t much more we can do if he is gas safe registered and I’ll have to accept the statement. This is frustrating – I later learn that the plumber is a ‘friend’ of the owner, and have every reason to suspect the service was a sham.

3. Move into house. Boiler in a terrible way from day one. House is a new build. Boiler was installed when house was built in 2007. Boiler not holding pressure. Very bad state. Call out Homeserve who I have insurance with. Takes three engineer visits and the replacement of three new parts including a brand new cylinder. All-day job. Cost to me - £100 excess. One engineer notes a number of safety issues that concern him about the flue, including incorrect brackets fitted on it and he and states that he believes the boiler was not correctly serviced and that I should contact the Gas Safety people.

4. In the meantime, some neighbours inform me that the manufacturers of this particular boiler had written to all residents sometime ago stating that a part in the boiler (which was installed across the entire development) needed to be replaced due to a safety reason. I contacted the manufacturer who confirmed this was the case and that the previous owner, despite being written to, had never had the boiler worked on. An engineer came out some days later to do the job. He did the work and also identified safety issues with the boiler which he logged, leaving a ‘do not use’ notice on the contraption.

5. I contacted Gas Safety and reported everything that had happened. Today, they visited along with the original plumber. Here for some hours. They agreed there were three or four safety issues and they actually put a cap on the boiler so we now have no hot water at all. The gas safety person has said he’ll write up a report of his findings and email it.
6. We contact gas safety by phone as don’t know what to do. They state that the boiler looks as if it was improperly installed in 2007 but a law is in place meaning the builders can’t be held responsible after six years. I phone the original plumber who is basically denying responsibility, although I'm not sure how Gas Safety intend to deal with him now - it's obvious he never serviced the boiler.
7. What do people think? I could contact my solicitor but... this clown has offered to come out and "do the work" but wants us to pay for the parts. I a) don't want him back in my house for obvious reasons b) and don't see why I should pay anything else

Please help. Ideas please. Right now we have no hot water at all.

Welcome to the forum.

What sort of fault with the boiler needed the cylinder replacing?

Point 6,.it's not the responsibility of the original installer to service it for the following years after a install it is up to the househoulder to employ a engineer to do this .

Point 4. If the boiler was in a bad way why didn't the homeserve guys cap it off as the gas safety inspector did

Point 2. Not all plumbers are vat registered

As with all house purchase s it's buyer beware

Last edited:
2 parts and a new cylinder for 100 cant be sneezed at.

Its a bit like an mot, only valid on the date its done. Boilers dont last forever.

For Cylinder do they mean Expansion vessel?

If it's 7 years old it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect it to have gone lost pressure and there isn't much life left in the whole boiler either.

It's to late now but no way would I have left it to the seller to arrange a Service / inspection.

I'd have had my own arranged and then negotiated the cost of faults being rectified.

Bite the bullet and let the guys on here know your location and have one of them help you out.

I wonder what the plumber got paid for the service? No where near £70, not that it's excusable to overlook defects in a system, but I can understand why people aren't thorough when they are getting £20 for a 'service'.

Caveat Emptor, sorry that's the law

Would recommend wetdrip's suggestion.

I cannot understand people :-
" who when buying a house ask the seller to have the boiler serviced to make sure it is ok !!"

:thinking:

I wonder what the plumber got paid for the service? No where near £70, not that it's excusable to overlook defects in a system, but I can understand why people aren't thorough when they are getting £20 for a 'service'.

That's the sort of crap that gets jobbing gas fitters and subbys a bad name. Your being PAID so do it properly or just stay at home and make your excuses on the toilet. If you used that argument with me 3 things would occur.

1. You would get punched in the face
2. You would be sacked
3. You would be reported as being incompetent and invoiced for the cost of revisiting and inspecting all your jobs.

plumbers arent allowed to have friends such as people selling houses ???
A service wouldnt include repairs if any were needed on the day.
He should certainly have identified the brackets and other issues on the boiler etc tho on the day

Last edited by a moderator:
I was only making the point of pay monkeys and you get peanuts... Race to the bottom - call it what you will

Should have smelled something funny when you got bill for service! Manufacturers involved, gassafe, dont think many guys would get involved with this system!

if the boiler can be proved to have never been fitted correctly then its a latent defect and if your house was built with an nhbc or zurich 10 year certificate you should be able to contact them and they may get the builder to return and put right.

If you have no certificate you may be able to prove the installer was at fault in a court, but you really need to ask yourself if its worth it.

Unfortunately the guvernment scrapped the idea of making the person selling the house prove things like gas and electrics were safe and working so your up a creek really.

As for the so called service by the sellers friend, i would think he/she never even touched the boiler as they did not spot the dangerous defects or he/she is not very competent.

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help - amateur-night plumber and a capped boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock