Search the forum,

Discuss Heating design calculations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a large property with over 26 radiators that are all staying. The house is circa 1750 with very poor levels of insulation. The existing rads are totalling around 55kw based on modern rad charts but it is not known whether the rads (fitted around 1995) are dt20 or dt11.
Questions :

Do you size the boiler / boilers to run 55kw of rads or do heat loss calculations and size the boiler based on those losses.

Does anybody know when rads were made to dt20 standard in this country??

When pipe sizing for distribution headers etc theres a big big difference in pipe diameter required for dt20 against dt11's. If rad dt can't be established its possible we could fit wrong sized piping?

thanks

Heat loss the rooms don’t size off existing rads

As for deltas this is the temp difference between the flow and return on the rad so I would have this at dt 11 on an old property

As Shaun has stated the Delta Temps effect how the rad manufactures rate their heat emitters. The higher 20 degree was introduced to help reduce return temps and help promote condensing. This came about in the early 2ks with Part L Building Regs.
Again as Shaun has said use heat loss calculations with appropriate U values for the property construction and increase heat emitter sizes by 15% per emitter ( you’re looking for a return temp of approx 50 degrees).
If you decide to retain the old existing radiators you will sacrifice some of the potential efficiency gains of a new condensing boiler.
You are looking at a large boiler here, maybe worth considering two linked boilers with LLH etc.

Heat loss the rooms don’t size off existing rads

so potentially the existing rads could be over sized. if the heat loss calcs only require 1/2 the heat (as an example) and the boiler is sized at 40kw instead of 55kw does this then not mean the rads although they may heat the room may not actually feel as hot as they used to?

As for deltas this is the temp difference between the flow and return on the rad so I would have this at dt 11 on an old property

This is where i get a bit lost... dt11 allows for 80 deg flow 69 return on the rad. is it the rads that are designed for dt11 so they must stay that way ?

so potentially the existing rads could be over sized. if the heat loss calcs only require 1/2 the heat (as an example) and the boiler is sized at 40kw instead of 55kw does this then not mean the rads although they may heat the room may not actually feel as hot as they used to?

This is where i get a bit lost... dt11 allows for 80 deg flow 69 return on the rad. is it the rads that are designed for dt11 so they must stay that way ?
As Shaun has stated the Delta Temps effect how the rad manufactures rate their heat emitters. The higher 20 degree was introduced to help reduce return temps and help promote condensing. This came about in the early 2ks with Part L Building Regs.
Again as Shaun has said use heat loss calculations with appropriate U values for the property construction and increase heat emitter sizes by 15% per emitter ( you’re looking for a return temp of approx 50 degrees).
If you decide to retain the old existing radiators you will sacrifice some of the potential efficiency gains of a new condensing boiler.
You are looking at a large boiler here, maybe worth considering two linked boilers with LLH etc.

This is where i get a bit lost... dt11 allows for 80 deg flow 69 return on the rad. setting the boiler to 80 is not going to achieve a return condensing temp of 55 deg. i get what you say about cost savings. ideally swap the rads, but i think they are staying put.

the big problem i have is I'm trying to size all the pipework to and from the LLH and cascaded boilers and distribution header and, if I'm working to the calculation of flow = kw / (4.2 x dt) to find pipe sizes it makes a dramatic difference if all the rads are dt11.

the thing I'm finding hard to grasp is (if this is right)
the rad manufacturers years ago calculated the kw output of a rad based on incoming 80 and return of 69 to give their stated kw output?

if i went and did heat loss calculations and the room needed 1kw how do we then establish the size kw output of the existing rad? simply refer to modern charts as a guide??

sorry for the q's but its a big project and it needs to go right. Ive recently been on a very informative hydronics course but it was all based on dt20

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s for your heating engineer to design not you and dt11 doesn’t matter what temps it’s set out eg flow 60 return 49 etc

That’s for your heating engineer to design not you and dt11 doesn’t matter what temps it’s set out eg flow 60 return 49 etc

cheers for reply - I'm the heating engineer calculating the pipe sizes to achieve correct flow , velocity etc. just a bit confused with the dt differences . only used to doing standard sized domestic where 22mm downwards does the lot. need to get this right hence the q's

thanks

cheers for reply - I'm the heating engineer calculating the pipe sizes to achieve correct flow , velocity etc. just a bit confused with the dt differences . only used to doing standard sized domestic where 22mm downwards does the lot. need to get this right hence the q's

thanks

15mm 20kw
22mm 40kw
28mm 70kw

Rough guidelines

If you do a llh and a common flow and return to the boilers do a reverse return
[automerge]1570474408[/automerge]
Have a read of this

1-PM-nov-2016-fig-1.png

This is where i get a bit lost... dt11 allows for 80 deg flow 69 return on the rad. setting the boiler to 80 is not going to achieve a return condensing temp of 55 deg. i get what you say about cost savings. ideally swap the rads, but i think they are staying put.

the big problem i have is I'm trying to size all the pipework to and from the LLH and cascaded boilers and distribution header and, if I'm working to the calculation of flow = kw / (4.2 x dt) to find pipe sizes it makes a dramatic difference if all the rads are dt11.

the thing I'm finding hard to grasp is (if this is right)
the rad manufacturers years ago calculated the kw output of a rad based on incoming 80 and return of 69 to give their stated kw output?

if i went and did heat loss calculations and the room needed 1kw how do we then establish the size kw output of the existing rad? simply refer to modern charts as a guide??

sorry for the q's but its a big project and it needs to go right. Ive recently been on a very informative hydronics course but it was all based on dt20

thanks
[/QUOTE

Its more than likely that your existing rads are based on the British standard of "60 deg" ie the mean rad temperature-20C, the European standard is based on "50 deg", the mean rad temp -20C, if you want a room temperature of 22c then substitute 22 for 20 or whatever. If you measure your radiator dimensions and whether single /double with/without fins and you look up standard rad outputs which now are based on 50C and multipy by a factor of 1.27, (60/50)^1.3 then you will see reasonably well what the design output of your rads were AT 60C.
so if one ran them at a delta t of 11C the flow temp would need to be 85.5C and the return 74.5C, at a delta T of 20C, flow is 90C and return 70C. European standard is 50 deg so delta T of 11C is flow 75.5c, return 64.5C, delta T of 20c is flow 80C return 60C. If, based on the 50 deg rad and you wanted a return temp of 50c then the flow temp would need to be 90C.
If you only require "1/2" output based on the 60 deg rad then you only require effectively a 35 deg rad (35/60)^1.3, based on the 50 deg standard would require a 29 deg rad (29/50)^1.3.

Every 1 kw of rad output will require a flowrate of 1.3 LPM (1*860/11/60) at a delta T of 11c and a flowrate of 0.72 LPM (1*860/20/60) at a delta T of 20C.

Matt,

The best advice I can give is to ignore what is already there and design the new system from scratch. Assuming that you are using unvented for hot water, design in the loads to provide hot water and recharge the cylinder(s) in 30 minutes. If you have multiple bath / shower rooms that is a key criteria in determining boiler s

Consider how you are using the property - if you have a number of rooms ( zones) that you don’t use on a regular daily basis - consider the use of a Honeywell Evohome ( or similar) system to divide the property into 12 zones.

As a guide - I have recently completed a 20 radiator with two 200 litre unvented tanks in a 1720’s stone built solid wall, stone floor property. We divided it into 18 zones (with Evohome and external temperature control) and used a 50 Kw (net) by two independent 25kw gas fired boilers. Return temperatures optimised so that both boilers condense.

Hope this helps.

Reply to Heating design calculations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. Do many of you use a program to size boilers/rads or do you even bother with heat loss calculations? It’s a bit of a long winded process doing it long hand especially when a customer wants a quick quote. I’m not a fan of just replacing like for like if I’m honest.
Replies
Views
A (if) CH system has a very high head loss due to improperly sized pipework and long runs and possibly partially blocked pipes and requires a UPS2 pump running at its 8M head to feed 21 rads with a theoretical output of 25kw at a 20C dT. A fairly old Vaillant 438 boiler is being replaced, the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
Got an underfloor heating to install and Ive done a few repairs on manifolds etc but this is the first design and install for me. Advice and tip requested. The job is a kitchen extension with under floor heating this .will be added to the existing rad heated house. The new heated areas will be...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock