Search the forum,

Discuss Heat loss calculations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joe brown

Any experienced plumbers that understand heat loss and u values that could help me out.. I am trying to work out a heat loss calc on the kitchen, I have done the lounge which is 21 degrees and i understand that if the outside temprature is -1 degrees then it makes it 22 degrees...im total aware of that and also the temprature diferences between rooms... but what happens if i am calculating my kitchen at 18 degrees and the living room is 21 degrees, does this become a -3 diference or just a 3 degree diference... when i did the lounge it was 21 and the kitchen was 18 so there was a 3 degree difference...but what happens in reverse.. also what happens when the bedroom and the bathroom are both 18 degrees and im doin a calc on the bedroom... as soon as i put 0 degree diference in my calcs everything times by a zero becomes a zero...

2 - equals a + so 2 - -2 becomes 2 + 2 = 4.

Your kitchen will gain heat off the living room (and living room losing heat to kitchen) so the difference is as you say -3 giving you a gain on the calculation rather than a loss.

as for the zero, thats fine because if the rooms are the same temperature then you will neither gain or lose any heat because of it.

the outside temp can differ, dont forget your air changes

it becomes a zero because if its the same temp on both sides of the wall there will be zero loss or gain.

as an aside -3 outside is used and bathrooms are 22c

Depends where you are in the country, we are supposed to use -1 down here in Devon and if you are really accurate you can take into consideration altitude as well :euro:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heat loss calculations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My landlord's great at getting all the Scottish government funding that's going, and there's full insulation, double glazing, an airsource heat pump and a Mitsubishi Ecodan unit. The Mitsubishi installation manual says in big letters "The cylinder unit MUST be located indoors and in a frost free...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am wondering if it's worth turning on the optimum start and stop features? There is also something called TPI (chronoproportional control) but I'm not sure how...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I wanted to ask a general question about an underfloor heating system our plumber is proposing and if this solution will be sufficient to heat the rooms. We have only a woodburning stove (15kW nominal output) that heats our open plan lounge/kitchen/diner directly (6.5kW from the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm trying to work out why the 'rule of thumb' is ~3 radiators on a single 15mm run... I've calculated the heat demand of my house at ~14kW: 3 bed 1930s solid wall, end terrace, no wall insulation 7 radiators 2 air change per hour for all rooms 21deg in all rooms When I do the...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock