Discuss Greenstar Utility 32/50 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people that boast about "never having their boiler serviced & it being 10 years old!" I find very funny. They think their boiler must be running spot on & have saved a fortune in servicing costs. Usually their boiler will have had way too much air mix & therefore highly inefficient, but less likely to soot. Not forgetting the shell & baffles will be caked with corrosive blocking sulphur & the nozzle likely blocked inside. That said, in fairness, many boilers are not done properly by service engineers & are a waste of money.
I think I read that the optimum CO2 with oil is 15% (meaning the oil is fully used) but this figure is not attainable as boiler will soot etc.

Last edited:
Most plumbers don't realise the manufacturer sets the air high on the boiler so it will start when installed, many just leave it manufacturers settings thinking they are correct when the truth is the opposite.

How many times have you got the smell of fuel in the wind before even ringing the door bell?

I find NG boiler usually set up pretty good at factory, oil most of the time but on the LPG versions it seems every third boiler that would be At Risk with factory settings.

Our Greenstar Utility 32/50 has just been serviced, and, unlike Millsy, the engineer couldn't get it to the MI figures. Should I be worried? Readings on the invoice are:
CO2 14.2 (MI 12.0)
Flue temp 87 (MI 85)
Smoke 0
Pump 115 (MI 120)
CO 88
He did a thorough job, taking over an hour to clean both heat exchangers, and cleaned the condensate trap. Nozzle used is right, 1.10 45S. I'm just a bit concerned the CO2 is high - what does this mean in terms of efficiency? Not sure if it's relevant, but flue is conventional, approx 10m high from boiler in basement to top of chimney.

One other odd thing - when I rang to confirm the booking, they said they might need to replace the flexi oil lines (£18 each). In our last house they weren't replaced in 15 years and never gave any problem. Is this something new dreamed up by OFTEC?

At 14.2% CO2 I'd imagine it wpont be long before he's back to clean it out again!!

nothing like a burst flexi return to leave a nice smell in the kitchen:8:

Our Greenstar Utility 32/50 has just been serviced, and, unlike Millsy, the engineer couldn't get it to the MI figures. Should I be worried? Readings on the invoice are:
CO2 14.2 (MI 12.0)
Flue temp 87 (MI 85)
Smoke 0
Pump 115 (MI 120)
CO 88
He did a thorough job, taking over an hour to clean both heat exchangers, and cleaned the condensate trap. Nozzle used is right, 1.10 45S. I'm just a bit concerned the CO2 is high - what does this mean in terms of efficiency? Not sure if it's relevant, but flue is conventional, approx 10m high from boiler in basement to top of chimney.

One other odd thing - when I rang to confirm the booking, they said they might need to replace the flexi oil lines (£18 each). In our last house they weren't replaced in 15 years and never gave any problem. Is this something new dreamed up by OFTEC?

OFTEC don't dream things up, they bring them to everyone's attention.

I would bet the quality of the 15 year old oil lines could never compare to the rubbish being sold today, it is possible to get an oil line that is guaranteed past the standard one year guarantee however price is dictating quality.

The C0 figure would concern me, just marginally inside the limit looks like you need another engineer.

14.2% co2 ? That boiler will not have a smoke number of 0. What was wrong with the "engineer" upping the air to the burner slightly to reduce the co2 to 12% max?
Get yourself another engineer in immediately & don't run the boiler until he comes or it will soot up.

The C0 figure would concern me, just marginally inside the limit looks like you need another engineer.

Thanks - our Parkray had a good go at killing us 20 years ago, with CO leaking through cracks in the pointing of the chimney between ground and first floors, so CO is something I take very seriously. We've got a CO detector right next to the boiler...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Greenstar Utility 32/50 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock