Search the forum,

Discuss Grant flexible balanced flue - anyone fitted one? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

Ive priced to fit a new boiler using one of these kits. Its a 6 metre chimney which Ill be accessing of a large pogo stick. ANy advice? :)

new underpants in case it all goes wrong, otherwise no, let us know how you get on.

Get somebody else to drop it down the chimney for you whilst you pull it down from the bottom.

Never fitted one, yet, so will be interested to hear how it goes.

Why are you not going down the open flue route?
Small house, double glazed everything and no where to put a suitable sized vent. Im the only estimate he had that offered this, 2 others said he didnt need vents atall and 1 other wanted to put a large one under the window. The boiler is going into a living space so draughts wouldnt be welcome and I told him that before long his wife would be taping the vents up.

Both the inner and outer are now Stainless, so much less likely t get mangled on the way theway down...

Get yourself a decent nosecone (from fluesupplies.com or similar) and some decent rope (I use accessory cord from Go Outdoors's climbing section) and go from the top, with someone else pulling from the bottom, same as fitting a normal liner that way.

The fitting at the bottom is a bit of a faff but not too bad, so long as you can get decent access to it and you aren't trying to work by feel, with only your left hand, while stuck in a chimney void...

Oh yeah, and make sure to keep some bits of slate or lead packing up the top with you to get the terminal level. Nothing like having to run up and down a wobbly roof ladder more often than necessary!

Good luck :)

Never fitted one but was told to make sure you have the inner flue the right way round otherwise condensation gets into the joints and will rot it away.

Never fitted one but was told to make sure you have the inner flue the right way round otherwise condensation gets into the joints and will rot it away.

Very true, same as all of the wrapped type liners used for solid fuel etc. If the liner is up the wrong way the residues get in between the layers of liner where it overlaps and make a mess of it in not a lot of time.

There is only one type of S/S liner that I know of that can go in either way up. I't really good but very stiff so a pain in the rear to pull down if the chimney's a bit tight. Twice the price of normal 904 / 316 flex too...

One other bit of advice... decent gloves! The cut ends of the liner are almost surgically sharp...

Small house, double glazed everything and no where to put a suitable sized vent. Im the only estimate he had that offered this, 2 others said he didnt need vents atall and 1 other wanted to put a large one under the window. The boiler is going into a living space so draughts wouldnt be welcome and I told him that before long his wife would be taping the vents up.

Worrying that they've had two quotes with no vent included.

Ok understand the thing about the drafts but if it's a small house why not take the flue through the wall?

Finished this job this week. The flue kit was very good, even came with cones to draw it down. We were lucky that there was already an old liner there big enough to pull the new one through.
Overall an expensive flue but a good bit of kit.

Finished this job this week. The flue kit was very good, even came with cones to draw it down. We were lucky that there was already an old liner there big enough to pull the new one through.
Overall an expensive flue but a good bit of kit.

only asking as i dont know, but wouldnt that lead to corrosion if you use the old liner in situ and pop the new one in it, loads of residue of an acidic nature to chew through ?

Fair question LP but stainless wont be affected by any old stuff and the old liner was almost mint inside. My only worry if I had to be, would be the old steel rubbing against the new stainless and wether they could corrode each other, but if that happened, it would be decades away and frankly the outer is only the air intake anyway.
The old version of this system had a plastic outer flue which would have been better perhaps, dont know why they changed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Grant flexible balanced flue - anyone fitted one? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer condemned the chimney and I remember him also saying something about it needing some sort of box fitted into the fire recess but I can't remember the...
Replies
Views
I am seeking some advice on how to seal up my sump pit. I currently get condensation on the walls and floor around the pit, and in the past there has been accumulation of mold on the walls, due to about 6" of standing water in the bottom of the pit. The air also smells bad and is somewhat...
Replies
Views
The rusty bit with a hole at the top looks quite old, feels flimsy, and is a single skin 100mm x 400mm. The boiler has a 600mm new pipe rising vertically, then a new 135 degree bend (although the paint has come off as you can see), then the rusty pipe, another 135 degree bend which looks very...
Replies
Views
I recently had a boiler grant. My Green star Junior was replaced with an Ideal C30. The installer did not install a spiral magnaclean etc until I asked how to empty it after the boiler was fully installed. He then installed it after saying it wasn't necessary. The grant included one. The pre...
Replies
Views
Hi all, came across this forum this looking for information on my sooting up kitchen type indoor Enviromax. I'm a retired electronics/maintenance engineer, (fwiw can answer questions on popular smart home thermostat systems), but I've installed many solid fuel boilers in the last 40 years for...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock