Search the forum,

Discuss Has this flue gone rusty because the installer used the wrong part? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

The rusty bit with a hole at the top looks quite old, feels flimsy, and is a single skin 100mm x 400mm. The boiler has a 600mm new pipe rising vertically, then a new 135 degree bend (although the paint has come off as you can see), then the rusty pipe, another 135 degree bend which looks very clean and finally into the flue liner, rising up the chimney.

IMG_1359.jpeg

IMG_1361.jpeg

When the Boiler was installed (5 year ago), the installer didn’t give me a completed commissioning checklist, but did leave manuals for the
Greenstar Danesmoor 18/25 (oil) boiler
Greenstar oilfit CF adapter kit
Greenstar oilfit flexi CF Flue (which I can see has been installed into the chimney)

I also see the installer screwed each pipe connection (which the manuals don't say they should).

One engineer has quoted almost £400 for the replacement parts plus almost £400 for fitting, but that seems really steep given Worcester sell 100mm * 500mm single skin flue for around £50, and it looks like a fairly straight forward swap.

Another engineer has said the wrong parts have been used and the rusty bit should have been double skinned.

Given the rusty bit quickly ends up in a single skin flue liner, can it be single skin, or must it be double?

I know the work needs doing by a professional, but i'm trying to educate myself first, so I don't pay £800 for what might be much cheaper job?

Should it be a single piece, or much more?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to Has this flue gone rusty because the installer used the wrong part? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have just noticed a damp patch around where my boiler flue exits through to outside wall along with a rusty colour around the collar of the flue bend. I’ve checked the external wall & there’s no water coming in from outside but the flue terminal also has a rusty colour. My regular boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come over the wrong way so please keep in mind I am 57 and at school in the 70s back then was kicked out the lessons and put in remedial classes (before...
Replies
Views
HI, I had a new gas meter fitted a year ago and the installer said he wasn't happy with the flue. I have lost the report but would like to correct any faults. The boiler is an old Thorn floor mounted atmospheric boiler which is located in the corner of a single story flat roofed garage which...
Replies
Views
P
Hi there, please help dont have a clue how to set this up. Ive recently installed a complete new central heating system in my house myself. The system is up and running and works okay but I feel it could work alot better if it were setup properly. Im not a plumber and really understand how parts...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock