Discuss Going LPG in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newcastle phill

Is it much of a chew on getting LPG added

Whats involved in gaining LPG for caravans etc. Currently NG only

I added my LPG a couple years ago. Contact your local training centre.

Mine did an add on course for NG engineers called a changeover course or something. Including boiler, cookers etc it was a 4 day course with training & assessment, cost me about 1200 I think?

Be very carefull just because your Lpg and its says its log doesn't mean you have the right ticket it's a ball ache

Not a lot to it for permanent dwellings just pressures, cylinder locations, making sure you have opso upso the right way round. Some stuff on hoses and acceptable sealing. Oh and most importantly turn off burn off.

lav has bits on it for closed flue fires but I dropped all that this time round and just kept permanent dwellings.

boats is a completely different qualification also as you can't drill a drop hole in a boat!

Really just want it for static caravans and alike.

Boats would be useful as there are shed loads of marinas up here but maybe another day lol

image.jpg image.jpg Lots of hard work but can do most stuff

I did mine just before Christmas including LAV and closed flue fires.
I did it in 2 days and it wasn't too bad I did have LPG changeover before.

When you do the change over it's concentrated on the things that are different and now they have changed the tightness testing it's not a lot different.

The ventilation calculations are a bit awkward but you will soon get your head around it.

When I completed the LPG changeover I included LAVs and boats, had training and assessment as gassafe says. Was pretty similar in difficulty to CCN1.

Really just want it for static caravans and alike.

Boats would be useful as there are shed loads of marinas up here but maybe another day lol

I've got a water heater to fit in a boat with a friend in the next few weeks and whilst pricing it up I discovered a few things,

That the GSIUR does not apply on the boats.
Boat owners are required to get a Boat Safety Scheme inspection yearly for their insurance but the inspectors do their own tightness and spillage tests. This means that it is not a market that requires any gas qualification to compete in.
Most owners and boat fitters seem to do their own work , especially on narrowboats, maybe the Marinas are a bit more of a viable market.

BS EN 10239 LPG in small craft states that for copper over 12mm it must be annealed and have 1.5mm walls, as far as I have tried so far noone makes anything to that specification.....................

On ringing a boat fitter to try and source some I was informed that they go to Jewsons for their copper or just use that which is there (8 or 10mm) which would be massively undersized for our needs. They were pretty obviously not gas safe and it made a bit of the mockery of the need to be.

Saying that from my perspective we are fitting the water heater in the next couple of weeks so it will have more than paid for itself after that.

Well it depends what the boats used for but yes. It seems privately owned boats not used for hire or accomodation or business purposes are excluded.
Good to know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Going LPG in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Currently undergoing my level 2, hoping to get finished in the next few weeks. Looking to gain some experience, if anyone needs a mate...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys Not sure if this is the correct area to post? Firstly, i'm not doing this work myself but I need to get a question answered as it...
Replies
Views
can somebody explain to me the reason why you have to do a tightness test then purge and then complete another tightness test on a lpg system...
Replies
Views
I have just completed my NVQ 2 qualification but need to gain experience. I have messaged companies etc, but no reply from them. Is there any...
Replies
Views
hi, I am after some advice, I recently fitted a new gas valve to a vaillant ecotec earlier. the boiler was fitted in 2015 and has been serviced...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock