Search the forum,

Discuss Glowworm Ultimate 50FF noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KenTucky

Hello All. You've helped me before a few years ago so I'm hoping you can now. Boiler is about 10 yrs old. Serviced and maintained by BG throughout. Just before Christmas when we were watching a film on TV I notice a tapping sound, as if you were flicking your thumb against the boiler cover. It happened every 4 or 5 seconds or so. As the boiler is on the utility room wall at the other side of the lounge, you could here this tap through the walls. Got BG out. When I put the boiler on, the tapping started and he said ' it sounds like expansion' and indeed it does, but the boiler has never made a noise as noticeably loud before in 7 years. He took the front cover off, had a prod around but didn't remove anything. He said he didn't know what it was....it was perhaps the chassis or cover, 'but you can't get them now'. He replaced the cover and tightened the bolts. As the sound seemed to have subsided he left. He said he hadn't done anything but would report he'd made an adjustment. Inevitably the sound came back. The tapping starts immediately from cold, so it's not like the outer cover is red hot. The sound is from inside. The sound is not constant more intermittent..perhaps when the flame is lit? I also thought the 'solenoid' buzzy sound at bottom right was also little noiser too but he was not concerned by that. And to cap it all, this morning I noticed the pump seemed to be staying on longer than it should and tonight I find the boiler is also periodically firing up and pump running even though timer is off. Any thoughts? Heat exchanger going? Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't give any advice as to what I think might be the problem. This is down to safety and forum rules.

I'd give a local gas safe registered engineer a call to get another opinion. If you post your location I'm sure there's someone in here who'll be local and willing to take a look.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm sure you can understand why we can't give such info out in a public forum.

Thanks for the reply. Was just hoping engineers familiar with GW might have some pointers I could suggest to BG. But point taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glowworm Ultimate 50FF noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
U
Hi, We've been having this noise on our Valliant combi boiler for a while, 1/2 years+ (link below). Unsure what it might be, perhaps nothing to worry about. Does anyone know what it might be and if it's anything to be concerned about? Link: SndUp | Post info - http://sndup.net/dj3t I've...
Replies
Views
Uzible
U
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock