Discuss gas pipe in breeze block wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i cut a chase and recess pipe work into chase with no coverage, all end feed fittings, then at a later date some one puts plaster board over it,thinking the pipes contain water,then a leak develops and an explosion kills the two year old german shephard, who's liable

Can you not just put that yellow gas tape all over the pipwork I put it on if I run pipework under floors etc. Then atleast you have warned somebody what is in the pipe and if the cover it then surely its on their head

if i cut a chase and recess pipe work into chase with no coverage, all end feed fittings, then at a later date some one puts plaster board over it,thinking the pipes contain water,then a leak develops and an explosion kills the two year old german shephard, who's liable

You are

i would say the person who fitted the pipe inside a wall with fittings on it, in a space large enough to allow a build up of gas to get to dangerous levels would be to blame,

pig?! :D

i dont think you can say pig on here anymore its offensive to German shepherds,their Chinese copy the alsation and other dogs who may be reading the forum looking for advice on such things as i have just eaten the white plastic pipe thing feeding the large white steel thing on the wall,help its wet what do i do!!!!

Sounds like a loaded construction site question. If you fitted the pipe and new that it was intended to be boarded over then it could be down to you.

If it were to be investigated and you were under interview, I think the questions would be around what advice did you give to the builder, for boarding over the pipe.

i would think if you no about it being boarded over then its down to you ,but if you leave the premises and you dont no its going to be boarded then how can you be responsable for what someone else does once youve gone,,its the same to me as if someone has an appliance that you turn off and label then someone puts it back on once youve left

Dont cut a chase, run the pipe on the surface, that way they cant easily board it over. If it gets boarded over and someone inspects the installation at a later date e.g. BG service, then the appliance will be classed as AR.

there was a case in the gas magazine about the guy who fitted a flue going through the roof in a small hotel but next to a dorma window that was made to be unopenable (ok using screw ) but he fitted the flue which now became technically unopenable and he warned the owner that it could never be made openable again.
well anyway years later new owner or whatever the window was then made openable again and some guy died in his hotel room.
the gas engineer is now at court charged with manslaughter.
So does this then say that if you actually fitted a flue some where near a window that was a proper unopenable window then 3 years later they get new windows and some one dies they could charge you because it is too close to a window?

To answer the original question, why chase it if you don't expect it to be covered but nonetheless the person doing the covering also has a duty under the gsiur to ensure the pipe is safe. What came first, the chicken or the egg???

So does this then say that if you actually fitted a flue some where near a window that was a proper unopenable window then 3 years later they get new windows and some one dies they could charge you because it is too close to a window?

See above

To answer the original question, why chase it if you don't expect it to be covered but nonetheless the person doing the covering also has a duty under the gsiur to ensure the pipe is safe. What came first, the chicken or the egg???

See above

maybe in this particular case gsr engineer was at fault as he only screwd it shut however if it says for instance 300mm from an openable window then this means it can be any distance if unopenable so if the windows are changed 6 months or years later could you technically still be charged.

or if vertical flue is to be 1.5m or whatever from window that is openable but you fit it 1m from unopenable then for whatever reason windows are changed could you be charged?

and I agree why would the gas pipe be cut into a chase if its not to be covered?

also the person putting up the plaster board maybe a joiner what even know the gas regs exist never mind that hes not allowed to enclose it in there.

what if you where there and ran all your pipes and clipped them to the wall and some one then comes and puts a plaster board wall up 6 months later without your knowledge can you now be charged

Read this from gsiur

Part F Maintenance
Regulation 35 Duties of employers and self-employed persons
It shall be the duty of every employer or self-employed person to ensure that any gas appliance, installation pipework or flue installed at any place of work under his control is maintained in a safe condition so as to prevent risk of injury to any person.

which basically means if you do any work that may affect the safe operation of any appliance etc then you are liable.......whether you realise it or not. Joiners and plasterers included, se or books in, the buck stops with them!

when i worked for a company doing new builds we used to surface mount gas pipes and they used to be dabbed fully over and then boarded but we were never there when the plasterer did this we only had the dite agents word .as others have said how does a plasterer know the gas regs- we just had to assume the site agent knew his job and ensured they fully dabed the pipe

ant

i just wonder what the diffrenace is between a pipe thro a cavity or a builder berry it to a wall being chased out ,i thought at you could bury them as long as theres no gaps or joins so if theres an escape theres nowhere for it to go

Read this from gsiur

Part F Maintenance
Regulation 35 Duties of employers and self-employed persons
It shall be the duty of every employer or self-employed person to ensure that any gas appliance, installation pipework or flue installed at any place of work under his control is maintained in a safe condition so as to prevent risk of injury to any person.

which basically means if you do any work that may affect the safe operation of any appliance etc then you are liable.......whether you realise it or not. Joiners and plasterers included, se or books in, the buck stops with them!

so if you had a flue that was acceptable at one time then some one changes a window air vent door anything then you are liable then.

so if you had a flue that was acceptable at one time then some one changes a window air vent door anything then you are liable then.

Say you service an open flued boiler in a kitchen and the ventilation was through a fitted window vent (you still come across a few) which complied as it was so was fine.
Along comes the double glazing company 3 months later and they put a new window in which does away with the vent and no new vent is fitted.
If the boiler then developed a fault which led to an incident, the blame would fall to the double glazing firm as they had not complied with the GSIUR.
To be fair most of the bigger glazing firms would know this and arrange for a new vent to be fitted.

I still find flats in London were block management has put pvc windows in and think some trickle vents in the frames will suffice as ventilation for bbu's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas pipe in breeze block wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Back